Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip worthwhile? Other excursion questions too!

NCmomwithteens

1)Has anyone done this trip-Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip --10 person rafts past icebergs, stunning views?"

Two other questions:

2)In Skagway, we are deciding between the White Pass Railroad and renting a car to Emerald Lake. I have read that the RR is no good unless it is a clear day. Is it likely that we would have trouble getting same day tickets in the middle of August? Has anyone done both and what would you recommend?

3)In Ketchikan has anyone done the Neets Bay Bear Cruise? Is it worth $199 or should we go for the Misty Fjords Seaplane? I am a big wildlife person.

Thanks so much!!

Of all the tours I have taken in Alaska- in 23 trips, the Mendenhall float trip is near the bottom of my recommendations. You get only a brief distant view of Mendenhall, then the rest of the trip down the river is past trees and backyards. For the cost, I definately find money is better spent elsewhere. This is a tour I do not recommend, my experience only.

With all day in port, there have been some people who did both the drive and White Pass RR. They both certainly are top tour choices, the train is superior for scenery, history and engineering. The drive is a bargain and with Murray's guide an excellent adventure. The drive needs about 4-5 hours, if you want a full day- then yes you can probably do both if you have an evening departure of 8-9pm.

I have been to Neets Bay, I thought it a great tour with excellent black bear sightings. This area is peak in August - beg. of Sept. An alternative would definately be Misty Fjords by float plane- again, way too many excellent tours to consider. :)

we had fog for our early morning trip last sept. got great shots from the train, everyone has photos of the train ride in sunlight..i got the "ghostly bridge in fog" photo. :)

the trip down was beautiful, the sun was out. even with the fog, we saw everything. the views change as the light changes..

makes for interesting photos.

my DH and i had our tickets early, before we went. but the rest of the family went at the last minute. got the tickets trough the ship. just wish they had told us, we could have sat together. very surprised to see them getting off the train! did see others buying tickets for the afternoon train at the depot, as we were shopping.

I would agree with BQ on the float trip - not worth it unless you like looking into someone's back yard.

The RR trip is highly recommended, but you take pot luck with the weather. The first time we took it, we were on the early departure ~7:45 am. The valley was full of fog. By the time we got back at noon the fog had cleared and the pm trip was perfect. So you might want to hedge and book the later trip.

We did not enjoy the Mendenhall float trip, either. A lot of the times, you are just doing that - floating, and just as BQ says, you are often in the back of residential neighborhoods as you float. If you have never done any kind of river float trip, and are not looking for excitement of rapids, maybe this trip can be entertaining. But otherwise, my recommendation is "Don't do it." I would rather much spend time around the Mendenhall visitor center and walk around. Much prettier.

As for fog with the White Pass RR. Rarely is it your entire trip. Even with some mist, you still can have some fantastic views. There is no way to predict weather trends, and if of interest then have plans and reservations in advance. There may be walk up space- possible also with the cruiseline- sometimes they are open early am for last minute ticket sales. Otherwise, you will need to get to the depot in town and see if any availablity. This will be a different train. It is possible to get last minute walk up tickets.

Archived