Port or Starboard side

Jokev107

I have been lurking on these boards for many months and have used alot of the great information that I have found.

I have a question. My husband and I are planning to go to the mediterranean next June and need help with the cabin selection. We are trying to decide whether we should get a cabin on the port side or starboard side. Normally we take a port side cabin. The ship leaves from Venice. There have been posts to say that it is better to be on the starboard side of the ship when entering Venice. Is this true also when leaving Venice?

thanks for your help.

Joanne

I have been lurking on these boards for many months and have used alot of the great information that I have found.

I have a question. My husband and I are planning to go to the mediterranean next June and need help with the cabin selection. We are trying to decide whether we should get a cabin on the port side or starboard side. Normally we take a port side cabin. The ship leaves from Venice. There have been posts to say that it is better to be on the starboard side of the ship when entering Venice. Is this true also when leaving Venice?

thanks for your help.

Joanne

Hello Joanne and welcome.

If you plan on being on your balcony during sailaway - port side is the place to be. :)

Sailing out of Venice is a wonderful experience and I agree that Port side is the place to be for that. If you are going up the west side of Italy via the Straight of Messina, the Starboard side will be best. The rest is a flip of the coin. Sometimes you will be docked facing the towns and others not. Most of the sailing will be at night and even though you are in the Med you won't be that close to land so it won't make too much difference which side you are on. This is a wonderful cruise and either side will be great.

The Grand Canal and St Marks Square will be on the port side when you leave Venice....it is the best side as most of the city will be on that side as you sail out..

We prefer to be up on deck.....and you can see it all....:)

Going up on the deck vs. sitting in your cabin - no matter which side of the ship you're on, is best. That way you can see both sides. Yes, I thought the port side was more exciting for sail away but there were some fun things to see on the starboard side as well - and once you have passed the 'central' part of Venice the starboard side still has things to see.

As for the rest of cruise - you never know, it depends what kind of a mood the captain is in and where you are assigned to. As another poster said though; most of the sailing for Med cruises is done at night so it doesn't matter too much.

Archived