Walking Tour and/or Electric Cars - San Francisco

CasaSmith

DH and I will be in San Francisco for a couple of days before the cruise and was wondering if anyone has done the Walking Tour of Chinatown with All About Chinatown! and if anyone has rented an electric car in San Francisco?

Thanks so much for your help

I never did the Chinatown you are doing - I did the Wok Wiz food tour. Just watch your purse and wallet in chinatown it gets very crowded in some areas.

As for the 'electric car' if you are talking about the little bubble looking thing - I would not recommend it. San Francisco is very hill with many one way streets. Those little 'cars' are too hard to see even with its 'flag'. Driving takes some getting used to. And if you are planning on stopping and parking - thats very limited in most areas of the city.

Public transportation is very good in the city.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a walking tour of Chinatown a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I just can't remember the name of the company! It was NOT Wok Wiz. It was NOT terribly expensive. The tour included a multi course dim sum lunch, Chinese food market, Buddist Temple, fortune cookie factory and just general and interesting info about the beginnings of Chinatown. If you are interested in taking a tour of Chinatown I bet you would enjoy just about any offered. BTW, it was NOT a strenuous walk at all.

I have also rented one of those electric cars. They are called Go Cars. Mine did not have anything resembling a bubble. I think those might be the GEM Electric car made by General Motors that are also available to rent. Go Cars are also very small but have enough oomph to take any hill ! They are also equipped with a talking GPS system which tells you where to turn and what you are passing by. We had an absolute blast !! We just returned from a West Coast cruise that left San Francisco. One of my fellow Cruise Critic buddies had just rented a Go Car before beginning the cruise.They also thouroughly enjoyed the experience. You can find out about them by Googling Go Cars. You can also reserve them on line.

Have fun!! :D :D MG

Archived