After the 12 meter America Cup race...

sonomaphil

We're doing the 11:45 Americas Cup race next week and it's over at 2:45. Since the Caribbean Princess doesn't leave until 6 I was wondering if anyone knows where we are in relation to the downtown type shopping areas.

Are we close? Will we have some time to see the sites?

How far a walk is it back to the pier?

You will be leaving from Bobby's Marina. Bobby's Marina is located at

the Head of Town, Philipsburg. This convenient location is at walking distance to all major duty free shopping areas, restaurants and

nightlife spots.

You will be leaving from Bobby's Marina. Bobby's Marina is located at

the Head of Town, Philipsburg. This convenient location is at walking distance to all major duty free shopping areas, restaurants and

nightlife spots.

Thanks, but you just copied that from the Bobby's Marina web site.

I was hoping for real world info.

Thanks, but you just copied that from the Bobby's Marina web site.

I was hoping for real world info.

And he didn't even include the link to Bobby's map.

You'll probably want to hang out at the 12 Metre shop for 15 minutes or so to check out the products, buy a t-shirt, etc., but after that a 15 minute walk will get you well into the main shopping/eating/bar area of downtown Philipsburg. You can walk along Great Bay Beach on the Boardwalk.

The walk back to the Cruise Facility would be on the order of 30 minutes or so, depending on your walking speed, or you could catch the Water Taxi back from the Little Pier for $3.00 or so.

Check out this Google Earth image over in my PhotoBucket for relative locations:

th_greatbay.jpg

(click)

The straight-line distance from the foot of the Cruise Pier to the Little Pier (downtown) is less than 3/4 mile.

gary

Bobby's Marina is one of two stops on the water taxi. The water taxi leaves at the end of the dock where the ships are. The water taxi costs $5.00 US for the whole day. The second stop is at the town. You could easily go to town for a while either before or after your excursion by using the water taxi. In town there are great shops especially for jewelery and electronics and nice spots for lunch and also a beach with chair rentals, seadoos etc.

My DH and I just did this excursion 1 1/2 weeks ago, It was so much fun. I took some Bonine before the sail and was fine, but a guy next to me.....he fed the fish, if you know what I mean.

When we finished, we lookedin their store and walked into the town ourselves, it only took us about 10 minutes to walk. We did alittle shopping and the took a taxi out to Orient B for a couple of hours. The taxi driver picked us back up t a designated time and returned us back into town as I needed to pick up a ring that was being sized. Then we took the water taxi back to the pier (3.00 each for the 1 way trip, or 5.00 for the entire day). It was a great day.

Our sail time was the early time, thats how we were able to do so much. You may opt to go into town and shop 1st and then go on the excursion, if you want to pack your day full.

Whatever you do, have a blast!!

If you have done this excursion- do you know how strenuous it is?

3 of us are interested,two fit teens and one senior... do you have to work while onboard? Trying to find some reviews.

Hi,

My husband and I did this last fall- lots of fun. The crew allows you to pick how active you want to be- or not active at all. There was an "iceburg lookout" on our trip! Other light jobs are bartender and timer.

the teens will be allowed to help sail the boat.

Thanks- this really sounds exhilarating to me. I have a painful hip,don't want to be slipsliding about on deck, but otherwise I think I am healthy and energetic so I should be able to do something useful. Teen grandsons can do anything they set them to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to know where you sit while sailing. Do you sit on the floor of the boat or are there some kind of benches or seats? I have arthritis in my spine and can't sit on the floor. We've already booked this and I hadn't thought about asking this question before. Tx!

I need to know where you sit while sailing. Do you sit on the floor of the boat or are there some kind of benches or seats? I have arthritis in my spine and can't sit on the floor. We've already booked this and I hadn't thought about asking this question before. Tx!

You sit on the edge of the boat, no real seating. You do slip and slide if you try to move around. It was a great excursion and we won! We were on True North!

The downtown area really is very close and it's easy to get around with the water taxi.

Archived