catching fair winds snorkeling

gmadvm

has anyone done the fair winds snorkeling trip from pride of hawaii? check in is at 8:30 and the ship doesn't get in until 7am. we booked the hula kai which has a 9am check in so we would have more of a cushion to tender to shore and take a cab to the bay, but they cancelled that trip on us. i really want to go snorkeling but i'm afraid that even if we get the first tender off we may not have time. has anybody done this before?

This is for Kona, correct? The Fair Winds doesn't like to book cruise pax because it is a tender port and often pax are late. They absolutely will not wait for you. You will have to be on the very first tenders over, get a taxi (some recommend calling to have one waiting), and hustle down there. You will probably make it, but unless you have VIP tender tix, you'll have to wait for all the NCL ship excursion pax to tender and for all the VIP pax to tender. It will be close, IMO.

Do keep in mind that Fair Winds requires credit card information in advance and will charge you the full amount if you don't cancel at least 24 hours in advance. Part of that is because they were not requiring CC to hold ressies, ship's pax would miss the boat, and they would be out the fares. You could always not book in advance and then just hustle down there that morning and see if they have availability. If so, great; if not, bummer; if you're late for any reason, you wouldn't be out the pretty pricy cost.

beachchick

This is for Kona, correct? The Fair Winds doesn't like to book cruise pax because it is a tender port and often pax are late. They absolutely will not wait for you. You will have to be on the very first tenders over, get a taxi (some recommend calling to have one waiting), and hustle down there. You will probably make it, but unless you have VIP tender tix, you'll have to wait for all the NCL ship excursion pax to tender and for all the VIP pax to tender. It will be close, IMO.

Do keep in mind that Fair Winds requires credit card information in advance and will charge you the full amount if you don't cancel at least 24 hours in advance. Part of that is because they were not requiring CC to hold ressies, ship's pax would miss the boat, and they would be out the fares. You could always not book in advance and then just hustle down there that morning and see if they have availability. If so, great; if not, bummer; if you're late for any reason, you wouldn't be out the pretty pricy cost.

beachchick

We are on the POH for the July 2nd sailing and for the very reasons beachchick mentions and because of the many recommendations of this board, we decided to do a catamaran in Kauai for snorkeling and Captain Zodiac snorkeling through the ship when in Kona. I'd rather play it safe (and not be out some big $$) and everyone here has RAVED about Captain Zodiac! :)

We did it while on the 4/1 POAloha. Had an early breakfast and were on the first tender. Hopped a cab very quickly and were at the Keahou Bay check-in by 7:45.

There was no crowd for the first tender and it left 2/3 empty.

I knew I'd be early (didn't realize we'd be that early), but I was afraid of two things ... 1 that there would be a crowd for the first tender and 2 that I wouldn't be able to catch a cab. Neither was a problem and we were there with ease.

I booked online (free t-shirts for booking online too!) and they never said boo about being a cruise pax.

Incidentally, it was a REALLY fun trip. My kids would not have been entertained by two hours of just snorkeling. Lunch broke up the day and the other things to do made the trip for us.

We love the Fairwind, and we have always made it there in time. I would definitely not pay ahead for this excursion just in case you don't make the port at all or there are other complications. Just call a couple of days ahead to see how much space they have available. Then call when you get on shore and tell them you are on your way. We always reserve a car just in case we can't make it to the Fairwind. You can cancel the car once you are assured of space on the catamaran. Do not try to rent a car and drive down there, grab a cab (they have always been right there at the tender dock), call Fairwind and tell them you are on your way. It's a BIG Catamaran and often they will have space available especially during off season times. We have taken this excursion three times and plan to go again! Good Luck! And enjoy!

thanks, that is good advice about trying to get on standby. i know we will be up early that day, the only question would be trying to get room on the first tender. i think i will call them and see how booked they are and try to wing it.

Archived