Staying in New Jersey(Newark) v Manhattan

MAFIAMOM

From these four areas, which is:

1. easiest and safest to get to and from Manahattan, even late into the evening - travelling with DH and 2 teenagers

2. easiest, with least construction and possible traffic issues, to get to Bayonne?

Right now our top choices are Secaucus and Jersey City - trying to finalize! DH is getting impatient... :D

There is always construction. It's 24/7/365 & an on-going fact of life in NJ.

Between JC & Secaucus, if you are driving, flip a coin & go with the cheapest hotel.

There is always construction. It's 24/7/365 & an on-going fact of life in NJ.

Between JC & Secaucus, if you are driving, flip a coin & go with the cheapest hotel.

Yes, we are driving! Sounds like we cannot go wrong either way then... Secaucus just looks so much further from the port on the map, but not knowing the roads it is hard to tell... AND we know nothing about transit options into Manhattan - when I come in on business we always take cabs since the company is paying...;)

Is anyone familiar with the Embassy Suites in Piscataway' date=' NJ? We will be driving from Ontario,Canada the day before our cruise, which departs from Red Hook in Brooklyn.

After our long drive, we have decided to stop in NJ before we hit the NYC traffic nightmare, and tackle the traffic in the morning after we are rested and refreshed. Needless to say we are a little nervous, never having driven there before!!

From looking at the map, Piscataway is an easy exit (off the 278???) and then back on in the morning to head over to Brooklyn. Are we correct?

Any other suggestions, keeping in mind we are heading to Brooklyn and not Manhattan in the morning, would be most welcome.[/quote']

Going all the way south off I-80 to Piscataway on I-287 seems like a very out of the way route to get to Brooklyn, IMHO. About 33 miles out of the way SOUTH and then you have to head back NORTH at least 8 miles to access the bridges to Staten Island. You will pay two bridge tolls to get into Brooklyn any way you go-GW/Triborough on the northern route or Outerbridge/Goethals/Veranzano on the southern route.

You will most likely be coming from the West on I-80. You have a wealth of hotel options in NJ off that route with easy access to the Brooklyn cruise terminal-Fort Lee (Hilton and Best Western-right by the entrance to the GW Bridge), Secaucus (Exit 16W off the NJ turnpike, just slightly south of 1-80-easy access to the Lincoln Tunnel).

Or head for Piscataway/New Brunswick, etc. Depending on the time of day, ALL routes can be very crowded. And construction is constant in the NY/NJ area.

I would stay at Secaucus or East Rutherford. they are within a half mile of each other on the same Road( Rt. 3). Specifically, The Sheraton at East Rutherford is really nice and easy access to the city, as well as Courtyard by Marriott in Secaucus.

I work in this area, and this is a VERY safe place to stay!

Going all the way south off I-80 to Piscataway on I-287 seems like a very out of the way route to get to Brooklyn, IMHO. About 33 miles out of the way SOUTH and then you have to head back NORTH at least 8 miles to access the bridges to Staten Island. You will pay two bridge tolls to get into Brooklyn any way you go-GW/Triborough on the northern route or Outerbridge/Goethals/Veranzano on the southern route.

You will most likely be coming from the West on I-80. You have a wealth of hotel options in NJ off that route with easy access to the Brooklyn cruise terminal-Fort Lee (Hilton and Best Western-right by the entrance to the GW Bridge), Secaucus (Exit 16W off the NJ turnpike, just slightly south of 1-80-easy access to the Lincoln Tunnel).

Or head for Piscataway/New Brunswick, etc. Depending on the time of day, ALL routes can be very crowded. And construction is constant in the NY/NJ area.

there are two tolls only on one of these routes to Red Hook(going back there is also one toll in each direction). I agree that the way through Staten Island is the long way but if you read the Princess Boards at least one person suggested going this way from 80.....

Tolls east bound south bound....GW Bridge and Triboro

Goethals Bridge only -there is no toll East Bound on the Verrazzon's Narrows Bridge- and the outerbridge crossing is 440 not 278...278 is the cross Staten Island Expressway and the BQE

There is no toll west Bound on the GW Bridge or any Bridge or tunnel to NJ for that matter. The Toll on the V-N Bridge westbound for cars is $9.00. The Jersey crossings(also one way) are $6.00(cash) and the Triboro is $4.50 each way.

there are discounts if you use e-zpass.

But I agree I wouldn't go through Staten Island from almost anywhere to Red Hook(except Staten Island of course)

there are two tolls only on one of these routes to Red Hook(going back there is also one toll in each direction). I agree that the way through Staten Island is the long way but if you read the Princess Boards at least one person suggested going this way from 80.....

Tolls east bound south bound....GW Bridge and Triboro

Goethals Bridge only -there is no toll East Bound on the Verrazzon's Narrows Bridge- and the outerbridge crossing is 440 not 278...278 is the cross Staten Island Expressway and the BQE

There is no toll west Bound on the GW Bridge or any Bridge or tunnel to NJ for that matter. The Toll on the V-N Bridge westbound for cars is $9.00. The Jersey crossings(also one way) are $6.00(cash) and the Triboro is $4.50 each way.

there are discounts if you use e-zpass.

But I agree I wouldn't go through Staten Island from almost anywhere to Red Hook(except Staten Island of course)

Any way you look at it, you pay for three tolls to get into and out of NYC/Brooklyn if you take the interstates. Some you only pay going one way, but you pay DOUBLE, so what's the difference??? And if you go into the city via the GW and out via the Veranzano, you really pay. I know these tolls very well-to the tune of about $2800 per week in tolls alone, not counting the EXORBITANT road and fuel taxes in NY State.

EZ Pass only available for locally plated vehicles or locally based businesses. Our corporate charter is out of Delaware and even though we OWN a building in the Bronx, NY DOT has still refused to give us EZ Pass.

And the discussion was about the poster from CANADA driving across I-80, dropping South on I-287, spending the night in Piscataway, then trying to get into Brooklyn. Doesn't matter whether the poster takes the Outerbridge on 440 or the Goethals on 278, still going to end up the same place-over the Veranzano. IMHO, this route is waaaay out of the way.

It would definitely be an easier drive for someone unfamiliar with the area and trying to get to Red Hook from I-80 to go South on the NJ turnpike to the Goethals, across Staten Island and into Brooklyn. You really CAN'T get lost going that way until you get into Brooklyn. All turnpike/freeway driving and GREAT signage.

EZ passes are also issued by NJ and Delaware, PA nothing on the EZ pass NY site indicates you must have a NY charter and frankly I doubt that since so many of the corps in NY are chartered somewhere else. Me thinks who ever told you that was trying to get rid of you.

http://www.ezpassnj.com/static/signup/index.shtml

I realized that the above is the NJ website which requires a charge per id.

here is the NY PDF about e-Z PASS. I am almost positive its out if date too, since it has a fee per month for the responder. I know I am not charge it for the non-commercial one(I have two)

http://www.e-zpassny.com/static/terms/bus_tc.pdf

I am not sure if NJ charges per month...but NY I believe doesn't.

I would stay at Secaucus or East Rutherford. they are within a half mile of each other on the same Road( Rt. 3). Specifically, The Sheraton at East Rutherford is really nice and easy access to the city, as well as Courtyard by Marriott in Secaucus.

I work in this area, and this is a VERY safe place to stay!

Do you know anything about the Embassy Suites Hotel Secaucus-Meadowlands?

Do you know anything about the Embassy Suites Hotel Secaucus-Meadowlands?

my previous company had our folks stay there when they visited our account. i saw the inside of one of the suites...pretty nice. and it's close to a couple restaurants.

2 great places to stay (for ease of having everything at your fingertips)

SECAUCUS

- clusters of hotels right in the area of the mall (not a good mall, but a mall nonetheless), walmart, and a bunch of chain restaurants.

- there is a NJ transit bus stop to go to NYC there (arrives in Port Authority/42nd St-8Th Ave) fare is no more than $3...might even be less...i'll have to check

- this is a nice option since it's a very nice spacious area.

Do you have a website where I can get more info on the buses?

EZ passes are also issued by NJ and Delaware, PA nothing on the EZ pass NY site indicates you must have a NY charter and frankly I doubt that since so many of the corps in NY are chartered somewhere else. Me thinks who ever told you that was trying to get rid of you.

http://www.ezpassnj.com/static/signup/index.shtml

I realized that the above is the NJ website which requires a charge per id.

here is the NY PDF about e-Z PASS. I am almost positive its out if date too, since it has a fee per month for the responder. I know I am not charge it for the non-commercial one(I have two)

http://www.e-zpassny.com/static/terms/bus_tc.pdf

I am not sure if NJ charges per month...but NY I believe doesn't.

IRP (International Reciprocity Plan) trucks with OTHER than NY/NJ/PA/DE/CT base states are NOT eligible for EZ Pass in NY State. Our four straight trucks which only travel in the NY/NJ/CT/PA/MA area have NJ IRP plates and do have EZ Pass. But none of the semis-they all have Missouri based IRP plates. Not eligible-those are the rules.

IRP (International Reciprocity Plan) trucks with OTHER than NY/NJ/PA/DE/CT base states are NOT eligible for EZ Pass in NY State. Our four straight trucks which only travel in the NY/NJ/CT/PA/MA area have NJ IRP plates and do have EZ Pass. But none of the semis-they all have Missouri based IRP plates. Not eligible-those are the rules.

i'm definitely going to build up my USDOT/FHWA regs...JUST IN CASE in need a new career move!

i'm definitely going to build up my USDOT/FHWA regs...JUST IN CASE in need a new career move!

Make sure your Class A CDL with air brakes/haz mat is current. EVERYONE who works for me has a class A CDL. Never know when one of the trucks needs to be moved, especially in an emergency situation. Or more likely, when I have to recruit one of my admin or dispatchers to make a delivery. LOL

this is the bus you would take if you are at the Mill Creek Mall area in Secaucus. the previous link is very good if you are at the harmon cove area of Secaucus.

just making sure you know there are 2 buses you can take depending on the area you are in.

can always trust greatam for her info!

Make sure your Class A CDL with air brakes/haz mat is current. EVERYONE who works for me has a class A CDL. Never know when one of the trucks needs to be moved, especially in an emergency situation. Or more likely, when I have to recruit one of my admin or dispatchers to make a delivery. LOL

no way!!! and here i thought i'd be more of an in-house EH&S employee.

this is the bus you would take if you are at the Mill Creek Mall area in Secaucus. the previous link is very good if you are at the harmon cove area of Secaucus.

just making sure you know there are 2 buses you can take depending on the area you are in.

can always trust greatam for her info!

Embassy Suites is in Harmon Cove. Nice, as far as Embassy Suites go. It has been recently (within the last year) remodeled.

there isn't another one by the meadowlands expo center?

We are speaking of the same area-I posted Harmon Cove-I think that little area where the Embassy Suites is is really called Harmon Plaza. But what are they-1/4 mile at best apart??? Too much development in the area-how many more outlet malls are they going to build in NJ????

It's the 129 bus to NYC, although since they shut down the bus stop by the Sheraton, you may have to transfer to get ONTO the 129. Most of the hotels in that area will shuttle you to the bus/rail station (Secaucus transfer station) that is very close.

We are speaking of the same area-I posted Harmon Cove-I think that little area where the Embassy Suites is is really called Harmon Plaza. But what are they-1/4 mile at best apart??? Too much development in the area-how many more outlet malls are they going to build in NJ????

It's the 129 bus to NYC, although since they shut down the bus stop by the Sheraton, you may have to transfer to get ONTO the 129. Most of the hotels in that area will shuttle you to the bus/rail station (Secaucus transfer station) that is very close.

we don't need anymore outlets. personally i don't think they are a bargain to begin with...save SYMS.

which has nothing to do with the fact that the Corp is a Delaware corporation as your first post said.

which has nothing to do with the fact that the Corp is a Delaware corporation as your first post said.

"locally plated vehicles or locally based businesses". My original post about EZ Pass.

If I had license plates which qualified OR had a NY business license or corporation (I don't need the NYC business license, as I am involved with interstate commerce and have no retail/wholesale involvement), I could get EZ Pass.

Lots of corporations in NYC are incorporated in Delaware. However, they DO BUSINESS in NYC. We do not-we pick up or deliver product which has crossed state lines with no involvement other than transport on our part-we do not own the product-hence, interstate commerce rules apply.

This is what you wrote.

"EZ Pass only available for locally plated vehicles or locally based businesses. Our corporate charter is out of Delaware and even though we OWN a building in the Bronx, NY DOT has still refused to give us EZ Pass."

The reason they won't is these vehicles are registered in MO(if that is accurate-sometimes clerks are wrong too). You your self say that they will issue if they are registered in any state in the NE(mostly).

It has nothing to do where the Corp is headquarters or has an office, owns building etc. If you want an EZ Pass register it locally. NJ PA DE or NY doesn't seem like brain surgery to me...

Also try the NY Thruway authority...they would issue Thruway plates to any one that pays and I am fairly sure they will isue EZ Pass to anyone as well.

http://www.nysthruway.gov/commercial/commercial-e-zpass.html

no where does it say you need to have a local plate only a surety bond....in fact it talks about foreign corps being ok.....

I'll send you a bill in the am....

Archived