Staying in New Jersey(Newark) v Manhattan

MAFIAMOM

We have a cruise booked out of Manhattan on NCL Spirit for (Sun.) October 28. We will be flying into EWR on Friday and plan on sight seeing in NYC for a couple of days. We can stay at the Hyatt on the Hudson for $189.00 per night or the Hilton Gateway Center for $129.00 both located in Newark. The Grand Hyatt in NYC is $270.00 per night and is the cheapest we have found in NYC. There will be 3 women without our husbands, so traveling back and forth from Newark to NYC and maybe at night, is a safety concern for us. Is this a safe thing to do? We would like to save the extra hotel cost by staying in Newark. Any thoughts, concerns or suggestions? Also, would you know how much it might cost from EWR to the Hyatt in Newark....the Hyatt(Newark) to the cruise terminial and maybe the Grand Hyatt in NYC to the cruise terminial? Any idea on travel time. Thanks for all your help.

Since you are asking, I am only giving my opinion. When I am touring Manhatten- which is 3-4 times/year, I stay there. No way do I want to be going back and forth to Jersey. Have you looked at the new Hojo?? I stay all the time at the Super 8, fantastic location that is worth the extra cost for me. There is also a Comfort inn to consider. Key for the Super 8, if you consider it- easy to cancel without penality- keep checking rates, they change.

I also would never be staying in Newark, there are better Jersey locations. Weehawken, Jersey City etc would be an option you might want to consider?

Don't stay in New Jersey. The cost and time of the commute will eat up any savings.

Plus, you'll be so glad you can run back to the hotel in the middle of the day to freshen up, drop off packages, put your feet up, etc.

BTW, Newark has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country. It isn't the safest city.

Newark airport to Manhattan is a good 1/2 trip by car with no traffic. The amount of money spent on commuting back and forth, you would be better to stay in Manhattan. If anything, stay in Jersey City where it is a quick path train ride into Manhattan.

I Work At The Jersey City Waterfront Area And There Are 2 Nice And Reasonable Hotels Within Walking Distance Of The Path Trains And The Ferry To Nyc--they Are The Courtyard By Marriott And The Doubletree Both On Washington Blvd In Jersey City

I would definitely not stay in Jersey.

People in New Jersey always identify where they live by indicating how many "minutes" they live from Manhattan. In all my years of living and working in NYC, I have yet to meet a person who accurately describes how many minutes they live from the City (I think they are quoting how many minutes they live from Manhattan if they owned a helicopter).

Lesson: it takes a lot of time to schlep from Manhattan to Jersey, and, as other post-ers wrote, Newark isn't exactly a garden spot.

If you are in a financial pickle, try looking at Brooklyn hotels. In particular, the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge can be a cheaper alternative to Manhattan hotels. If you stay in Brooklyn, you can rely on subways and yellow cabs. Yellow cabs often will refuse to go to New Jersey (which is their right; they cannot deny you a trip within the five boroughs of NYC).

Good luck, and enjoy NYC!!

Being a New Jerseyite if would second the posters who suggested the Jersey City WaterFront. From the hotels here you are about a 5 minute PATH Train ride to downtown and about 10 minute ride to mid town 34th street.

The Hotels around newark airport are very nice but they are not convenient to getting into Manhattan quickly

Brooklyn is just as expensive as Manhattan so I would not suggest Brooklyn..

The best dollar value would be Jersey City waterfront...

Can you tell me what hotels are available that are clean AND safe where we can spend one night pre-cruise, get transpotation to the port, and park free at the hotel during the cruise?

Almost all name brand are sage but you will have a diffcult time finding one that will offer parking for free and transportation to the port. If you are leaving out of Cape Liberty in NJ I think there is a Best Western in Newark that offers this package but that its...

I just went over to Yahoo travel and then Hotels.com, I'm coming up with cheaper rates in the city than the rate you were quoted. Heck, Trump's hotel over at Central Park was coming up with a lower price!

Don't bother with the Grand Hyatt, I've stayed there, it's next door to the train terminal at Grand Central & its always expensive now since they remodeled it. It's over-rated, the rooms are small and there is nothing to look at other than the office buildings. Plus its further away from the pier.

Try the hotels in Times Square or around that area which are closer to the pier. You'll get better pricing. Also when you do this, make sure if you are an AAA member, put that in. You can get 10%+ off at many of the hotels that are affiliated with them. Times Square is probably about...10 blocks away give or take to the pier. Too far to walk though, you'll need a cab.

Plus, you are coming in on a weekend, so the city always jacks up pricing.

Just be prepared for the high cost of everything in NYC, I think it's the most expensive city I've ever been in. I booked 2 nights pre-cruise at the Edison Hotel (Times Square) for $210 per night. Flew into JFK because I got the flights round trip from LAX for $258 pp. Super Shuttle to Manhattan wasn't bad at $24 pp. Thought I was doing real good on saving money, then came trying to get from Hotel Edison in Manhattan to Cape Liberty Pier in Bayonne NJ.

I started with taxi's, I got anywhere from $200 to $450 for quotes, to go only 11 miles. I was told because they are leaving NYC, they can charge you for the return even though you aren't in the cab. Plus tolls & tip. I switched to a private limo company (with a van) and ended up paying $98 to get to the pier and another $110 to get from the pier back to JFK on the day of disembarkation. That was travel, tolls, and tip all included. You want to talk sticker shock?

NYC was fun and exciting, but at those prices, don't think I'll be returning anytime soon. Have a great trip!

I started with taxi's, I got anywhere from $200 to $450 for quotes, to go only 11 miles. I was told because they are leaving NYC, they can charge you for the return even though you aren't in the cab. !

By law, NYC cabbies cannot pick up a fare in New Jersey so if they take you to New Jersey, they also charge you for the return fare.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone provide information about the Fairfield Inn & Suites at Newark Airport? They have a Park & Fly package that you can use although you have to take a cab to the Port as they only provide transportation to the airport. Is this hotel in a good area? Any problems with parking there? Anyone use this option?

Can anyone provide information about the Fairfield Inn & Suites at Newark Airport? They have a Park & Fly package that you can use although you have to take a cab to the Port as they only provide transportation to the airport. Is this hotel in a good area? Any problems with parking there? Anyone use this option?

No. The area is quite bad and the only hotel I'd stay in in the Newark Airport area is The Marriott.

The metro NYC area is not an area where you try and skimp on hotel and parking because you will truly get what you pay for. There really aren't any bargains except for priceline and I would not chance a priceline Newark hotel.

I would definitely not stay in Jersey.

People in New Jersey always identify where they live by indicating how many "minutes" they live from Manhattan. In all my years of living and working in NYC, I have yet to meet a person who accurately describes how many minutes they live from the City (I think they are quoting how many minutes they live from Manhattan if they owned a helicopter).

Lesson: it takes a lot of time to schlep from Manhattan to Jersey, and, as other post-ers wrote, Newark isn't exactly a garden spot.

If you are in a financial pickle, try looking at Brooklyn hotels. In particular, the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge can be a cheaper alternative to Manhattan hotels. If you stay in Brooklyn, you can rely on subways and yellow cabs. Yellow cabs often will refuse to go to New Jersey (which is their right; they cannot deny you a trip within the five boroughs of NYC).

Good luck, and enjoy NYC!!

PREFACE

people that live in the 5 boroughs take the subway often. some drive...the truth is the subway is very efficient. so naturally it's better to get around NYC. and i believe this also even though i live in NJ. i work in manhattan...and driving just sucks during the day.

i accurately live 15min from Manhattan. but i can't help it if traffic through the Lincoln Tunnel slows me down.

to be more accurate, people in NJ actually measure where the live by the exit they take off of the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway...for me 16W and 153 (153A, if travelling northbound).

ok now on to my 2cents.

2 great places to stay (for ease of having everything at your fingertips)

SECAUCUS

- clusters of hotels right in the area of the mall (not a good mall, but a mall nonetheless), walmart, and a bunch of chain restaurants.

- there is a NJ transit bus stop to go to NYC there (arrives in Port Authority/42nd St-8Th Ave) fare is no more than $3...might even be less...i'll have to check

- this is a nice option since it's a very nice spacious area.

JERSEY CITY (Newport/Pavonia)

- RIGHT ON the PATH rail line

- $1.50 fare, but running wknd schedule

- must stop in hoboken, en route to 33rd St/Herald Square

- direct ride to WTC

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/map.html

(see the dashed yellow/blue route)

- in addition to amenities and services in the area, you can also go to hoboken for dinner

- WARNING: PATH does NOT run all night...so check the times.

We have a cruise booked out of Manhattan on NCL Spirit for (Sun.) October 28. We will be flying into EWR on Friday and plan on sight seeing in NYC for a couple of days. We can stay at the Hyatt on the Hudson for $189.00 per night or the Hilton Gateway Center for $129.00 both located in Newark. The Grand Hyatt in NYC is $270.00 per night and is the cheapest we have found in NYC. There will be 3 women without our husbands, so traveling back and forth from Newark to NYC and maybe at night, is a safety concern for us. Is this a safe thing to do? We would like to save the extra hotel cost by staying in Newark. Any thoughts, concerns or suggestions? Also, would you know how much it might cost from EWR to the Hyatt in Newark....the Hyatt(Newark) to the cruise terminial and maybe the Grand Hyatt in NYC to the cruise terminial? Any idea on travel time. Thanks for all your help.

I would think twice about staying in Newark at the Airport and driving back at night. I was raised in the City of Newark - now live at the Jersey Shore.

Pay the extra and stay in NYC - there are other hotesl cheaper than the Grand Hyatt - try Hotel.com, Priceline.com, etc. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

I would think twice about staying in Newark at the Airport and driving back at night. I was raised in the City of Newark - now live at the Jersey Shore.

Pay the extra and stay in NYC - there are other hotesl cheaper than the Grand Hyatt - try Hotel.com, Priceline.com, etc. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

as been discussed may times...all depends on people's arrival dates into the area.

- some just want an overnight to recoup from traveling

- others dont' want to "miss the boat"

- some want to do sightseeing in NYC before and after cruise

all depends on what your plan is...nothing beats staying IN nyc to do sightseeing...but your time and budget will be the limiting factors.

it's been said...the EWR "hotels" are better to stay in than the EWR "motels".

interested people with budget i their mind should search in this thread for other towns in NJ...EWR isn't always the best choice for you. here's my list again.

clifton

secaucus

rutherford/east rutherford (meadowlands)

jersey city (waterfront area known as "newport/pavonia")

but like i said...all depends on time and budget.

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Jersey City last April. It was attached to the Newport/Pavonia PATH station and getting over to the city couldn't have been easier.

We also travelled back on the PATH at 2:00 am and felt perfectly safe.

The small inconvience of having to ride the train was made up for by the fact that we got two rooms for the price of one in Manhattan, with breakfast included.

Just be prepared for the high cost of everything in NYC, I think it's the most expensive city I've ever been in. I booked 2 nights pre-cruise at the Edison Hotel (Times Square) for $210 per night. Flew into JFK because I got the flights round trip from LAX for $258 pp. Super Shuttle to Manhattan wasn't bad at $24 pp. Thought I was doing real good on saving money, then came trying to get from Hotel Edison in Manhattan to Cape Liberty Pier in Bayonne NJ.

I started with taxi's, I got anywhere from $200 to $450 for quotes, to go only 11 miles. I was told because they are leaving NYC, they can charge you for the return even though you aren't in the cab. Plus tolls & tip. I switched to a private limo company (with a van) and ended up paying $98 to get to the pier and another $110 to get from the pier back to JFK on the day of disembarkation. That was travel, tolls, and tip all included. You want to talk sticker shock?

NYC was fun and exciting, but at those prices, don't think I'll be returning anytime soon. Have a great trip!

Which car service did you use?

We are looking at the same thing in November.

Is anyone familiar with the Embassy Suites in Piscataway, NJ? We will be driving from Ontario,Canada the day before our cruise, which departs from Red Hook in Brooklyn.

After our long drive, we have decided to stop in NJ before we hit the NYC traffic nightmare, and tackle the traffic in the morning after we are rested and refreshed. Needless to say we are a little nervous, never having driven there before!!

From looking at the map, Piscataway is an easy exit (off the 278???) and then back on in the morning to head over to Brooklyn. Are we correct?

Any other suggestions, keeping in mind we are heading to Brooklyn and not Manhattan in the morning, would be most welcome.

clifton

secaucus

rutherford/east rutherford (meadowlands)

jersey city (waterfront area known as "newport/pavonia")

From these four areas, which is:

1. easiest and safest to get to and from Manahattan, even late into the evening - travelling with DH and 2 teenagers

2. easiest, with least construction and possible traffic issues, to get to Bayonne?

Right now our top choices are Secaucus and Jersey City - trying to finalize! DH is getting impatient... :D

We won't have much time so we want to make the most of it!

Which car service did you use?

We are looking at the same thing in November.

NewYork Transportation was the service we used. We had two huge suitcases (29"), 2 smaller suitcases and our carry-ons. We were afraid all our luggage wouldn't fit in a regular limo, so when I saw they had a van, that's why I used them, and they didn't charge extra for all the luggage.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Is anyone familiar with the Embassy Suites in Piscataway' date=' NJ? We will be driving from Ontario,Canada the day before our cruise, which departs from Red Hook in Brooklyn.

After our long drive, we have decided to stop in NJ before we hit the NYC traffic nightmare, and tackle the traffic in the morning after we are rested and refreshed. Needless to say we are a little nervous, never having driven there before!!

From looking at the map, Piscataway is an easy exit (off the 278???) and then back on in the morning to head over to Brooklyn. Are we correct?

Any other suggestions, keeping in mind we are heading to Brooklyn and not Manhattan in the morning, would be most welcome.[/quote']

First of all it's 287. 278 runs through Staten Island.

The Embassy suites in Pisctaway is a perfectly nice Embassy Suites but it seems like an inconvenient place for you to stay before a cruise out of Brooklyn. I guess if you were to take the Outerbridge, go through Staten Island & into Brooklyn it might be OK. I'd budget at least 1 1/2 hours for that, more if you can. 287 is not always easy on/off in that area. Sometimes there are no exits/entrances in a particular direction & you have to drive on local roads to get anywhere. I'm sure the hotel will give you a local map.

Archived