Long thick wavy saltwater hair HELP!

cruisecrzy

I have the worst hair for spending 6 days face down in salt water! It is thick, wavy, (not in a good way) long,and highlighted. I live in the midwest so I do not have ready access to great products to handle ocean water exposure.

I need ideas of shampoo, conditioner, serum, etc.. to use on my hair. We are sailing on a port intensive cruise and I will be snorkeling daily. Is there a spray or serum I can use before or right after being in the water to help my hair be less course? I also will be using a lot of heat tools as we will need to be ready for our dinner fairly early, not a lot of time to air dry.

Any ideas PLEASE?!

Get a good conditioner for your hair - look for ones that specialize in dry or damaged hair. I like Dumb Blonde by Bead Head. It's ph balanced to maintain your highlights but the thick conditioner will make your hair so soft. Then, also find a spray leave in conditioner. Every time you get out of the saltwater, spray your entier head with the conditioner. It will do wonders. You can even make your own by mixing some of your dumb blonde with water and put it in a spray bottle. The conditioner is the key to the whole mix :)

I have hair very similar to yours. I use Paul Mitchell Super Strong shampoo and conditioner. Within a few uses, my hair looks 100% better. It is awesome at repairing damage. It is very smoothing as well. Paul Mitchell's "The Conditioner" is a creamy leave in that I use when my hair has been exposed to a lot of potentially damaging elements (color, sun, etc..).

I use Paul Mitchell Heat Seal on the rare occasions I use heat tools. It works well for me.

I'm a Paul Mitchell junkie! lol :)

Try using Biolage, Redkin, or Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner for colored hair. This will protect your highlights and will calm your wavy thick hair. I also made a small squirt bottle of conditioner with water, I think I had a 6 oz bottle and put 2 oz to 4 oz of water. You should apply this let dry and then get into the water. You can then reapply after you get out of the water but if you have access to fresh water rinse your hair first before reapplying it.

I always wet my hair down and put deep conditioner in it before going into the sun. If you even wet your hair down with plain water, it will absorb less salt water or chlorinated water than dry hair.

I'm not crazy for clarifying shampoos, they seem to damage the hair a lot. But, perhaps once during the cruise, a clarifying shampoo, followed by a deep conditioner.

Prevention is far better than trying to correct damage later. If your hair does become hopelessly damaged and you cannot bring it back to normal, a haircut is always the best conditioner.

Put a good conditioner on dry hair before going into the sun, ocean, or pool water. It will 'repel' the bad stuff. When it is dry, it will absorb the conditioner. Wet hair has already absorbed the water.

Easy fix for your hair but a stinky one, put gobs of mayo on your dry hair to the point of saturation. Then put a shower cap over that. Then, blow hot air with a hairdryer in the shower cap. Leave on for about an hour refilling with hot air.

Or sit outside in the sun with the shower cap on.

Go immediately to shower and rinse hair well, shampoo, and condition.

Your hair will be silky smooth.

Very very stinky.

I recommend Matrix curl.life Extra Intense Conditioner.

extra_intense_conditioner.jpg

It is a little pricey ($15)so as a backup I would go for Aussie 3-Minute Miracle ($3).

product_3min.png

I have really curly, medium length hair with highlights. I comb some conditioner through my hair before I go into the water. I also keep a bottle of conditioner in my beach bag. Immediately after getting done with my beach day, I shower off (at the beach if possible) and condition right then. My hair loves me for it. I would have one giant bird's nest if I didn't.

These two Italian products by Davines Nou Nou and Sun solution are absolutely amazing for colour treated hair and the sun and saltwater especially the NouNou conditioner!(1st picture)!They are all natural products and contain almond butter, Vitamen F and tomato extract to restore the damaged hair shaft.

The web site is just fun to watch.http://www.davines.com/

I have another tip....on the cruise my hair was even curlier than normal. I got it to smooth into a sophisticated look with the hot iron and dryer once!! Halfway through dinner it frizzed up again. So.....while I did do the conditioning before hot-tubs and the ocean as people here suggested, I also just went all out on the curly hair. Since I've been back, I've been experimenting with styles/products that go better with curly hair (I have to scrunch or diffuse to get the best look here on land) so that next time I won't even bring the flat iron. i may not even use the dryer.

Anyway, give in and go with what your hair wants on the cruise, because that salt air is going to fight smoothing attempts every step of the way.

Lady Vidora can you tell us what curly hair products you use. I am getting tired of fighting my curls but haven't had much success getting them soft and looking nice. I have spent so much money on hair products that don't work. (I refer to the hair product graveyard :eek: in my basement where all the stuff I've bought that doesn't work winds up.)

You can use mousse and gel to hold your curls in check but that makes them stiff and crunchy - not soft and bouncy. This look is okay sometimes but for soft and bouncey I use an olive oil spray. The olive oil spray (brand "Organic Root Stimulator") is technically for ethnic hair and is generally displayed in the ethnic hair care section of stores. Just a light spray on my wet hair, comb through with a wide toothed comb and let air-dry. My curls end up bouncy, shiny and completely frizz-free.

One of the best things about this stuff is that it is dirt cheap. It is very good for your hair too. Just be careful about the quantity used - too much can make your hair look greasy.

I haven't had much luck with my hair ACTUALLY being soft while the curls look smooth---like the selebrities have...just kind of curly at the ends. I think that's mostly for girls who have straight hair and use rollers or an iron to give themselves "loose curls".

That said, I have the most luck, and the softest curles with Dove's Intense Frizz Control. I put some on when it's wet (or if I'm looking for a firmer curl I'll use catwalk frisky firming gel...I think I got it at Ulta. I use to use Curls Rock, but it's hard to get even.

then I put a hair clip just at the top (I don't have bangs) and let it dry, or diffuse it. that gives lift right at the forehead/crown where heavy hair normall pulls it straight for that geeky triangle-hair thing. then, when it is dry, or before it's dry, or whenever :-) I put MORE of the intense frizz control (DOVE, although I think there are a lot of brands now). You can even put the Dove stuff on later in the day. It doesn't get greazzzzzy looking like the silicone friz-ease stuff can sometimes.

Now, if you REALLY want to try to go striaght, I found an expensive line that really works. The problem is, because it's expensive I tend not to use enough of the product. It's called Phyto (A French Line...it is cheaper in Europe---and I don't know many places that carry it. The Makeup Bar in oklahoma city does. )

The phytodefrisant is a relaxing balm that you put in your hair from root to tip section by section after towel drying, then you work it out with a brush. It doesn't leave the hair weighted down or gooey feeling like some straightening balms....this is very light. It takes a long time, but for a special occasion it's really soft, and no hairspray is needed for me to keep is smooth..not stick straight, but very nice. That's what only worked halfway through dinner, though.

There's another phyto product that you can use to smooth as needed, but it's no better than DOVE.

Since starting to go WITH what my hair is, instead of fighting it I'm happy with my hair for the first time in my life...of course letting it be gray is a whol 'nuther story:eek:. As you can tell, I'm happy you asked!!

My daughters, ages 23 and 20 have your type of hair. It's light brown, naturally curly and thick. They have problems with it at the ocean. One year we had to cut the younger daughter's hair from being in the pool. IT was like it had gum in it. I believe they just keep it in a ponytail most of the time while at the beach. Rinse your hair out at least once per day to keep it from getting gunky. Use a conditioner on it. The water in the cruise ships is sea water that has been altered. Even the pool water on board is from the ocean.

My daughter Shelley is 7 and is a natural blonde - very light hair. Shelley is adopted, so we are not sure if her hair will stay light or what? Her hair is long, about halfway down her back.

I have light brown hair with highlights. We spend time at the ocean and in the pool. For both of us, we us Enjoy Conditioning Spray (white bottle with black top). We spray it on after washing our hair. It 'locks' the hair cuticle so chlorine wont damage the hair. It basically protects the hair. Since we have been using it, her hair does not get the 'green' look that many blondes do from swimming in a pool. The Conditioning Spray can also be used on skin to sooth a sunburn, etc. It is not expensive, priced around $18.

This has saved her hair and mine! Good luck,

amy

all you curly haired folks that fight the straightening iron may want to go check out the japanese straightening thread. best thing i EVER did to my thick, curly, long hair!

Archived