HMC Horseback/snorkel review

rotomu

Just back from Elation cruise which included HMC. There is only one word to describe HMC-WOW!!!!!! I had asked several times about the horseback rides and had not recieved info. We did the ride, had a great time! Horses are gentle and in good shape. Very nice staff there. They do a good job matchiing up horses with riders ability. On our ride it ranged from first time riders to experienced. I'd consider myself in the latter catagory. The only bad news is that you have to wear goofy helmets while riding the land portion. I guess Carnival has to cover their rear ends. but it certainly limits photo sales. They give a short talk on rider safety. Then match you up with the horses. They have nice stairs to allow you an easy mount up. Ride around the corral a little to check you out, then onto the ride. You ride maybe 15-20 minutes parallel to the beach then up to the highest point overlooking the beautiful bay. It is a slow near nose to tail trail ride but very scenic. Take your digital cameras and shoot away, some will turn out dump the rest. You then ride back to corral while they change saddles for a foam pad. Basically riding bareback with a small handle if you need it. They break the group into two, then ride into the water about chest deep and you run the horses, water splashing-great fun. I had never ridden in the surf so it was a treat. You maybe ride 200 yards in the water and it's over. Take a water camera, treat the staff well and they will take pictures on your camera for you. Again the staff is top notch. Do try and be one of the lead horses, there will be several "floaters" from the lead horses, just steer around them. The ride is a little pricey for what you get, but for many including myself being a flatlander, I just don't get chances to run a horse through a gorgeous sea, so it was worth it to me. If you want to do it, BOOK IT EARLY. There were a lot of disappointed people who had hoped to book it while on board or while on HMC and there is limited amount of horses and times. I had heard it was booked up one month BEFORE our cruise. I'd book the morning ride while the horses are fresh.

The snorkle trip was also very good. They take you by boat to the back side of the island which was a nice boat trip to see places you couldn't walk to. They anchor in an area which has three seperate reef areas to swim. You get 45 minutes of water time after the first person hits the water, so be ready to get in. They are some of the finest shallow reefs I've snorkled. Very healthy, great colors of corals and fans, good diversity of fish. I also have dove some, so I know what a healthy reef is. I do wish the staff would do a little better job of talking about reef etiquette, look but don't touch. Saw some people touching the coral which I strongly discouraged, but I was only one person. We did the last tour and still saw lots and lots of fish. I'll post a better review after I've had some sleep-just wanted to answer a few questions I had before I went. Any questions-ask away.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived