Am I making the right choice?

flitter306

Upon the suggestion of CCers, I called insuremytrip.com for better explanations about trip insurance. I'm primarily concerned about hurricanes and medical evacuations.

After talking to the nice guy on the phone he suggested I go with TravelSafe. He said that this is the only policy that will cover a named hurricane that hasn't done any damage at the time of our flight. In other words, if we aren't able to fly into Miami the day before the cruise because of the threat of a named storm in the water - this would be covered. Whereas the other policies would only cover if the hurricane had already hit Miami and the damage prevents us from flying in. Does that make sense?

Also, the emergency evacuation is secondary, not primary. He told me that this means that my health insurance would be the primary and that anything not covered by my insurance would be covered by the secondary policy up to $1,000,000. Is it that easy? I thought I read on here that I should seek a primary emergency evacuation policy - but I don't know why?

TIA!

I use Travelex because it is primary medical coverage. The is the #1 reason I purchase travel insurance is because of the medical coverage and evacuation. I don't want secondary because I don't want to be caught in the middle of two insurance companies fighting about who pays first.

In other words, if we aren't able to fly into Miami the day before the cruise because of the threat of a named storm in the water - this would be covered.

Tia: In those situations where this even becomes an issue, it will (seemingly) always end up with everyone looking for a loophole to keep from paying out what's due. If the airport begins to close for incoming flights, the airline will blame them. If the airline chooses to not make the flight into questionable areas, then they are responsible for any refunds for their own decision to cancel. If a storm is close enough, the cruiselines will normally move their vessels to open seas or other ports, and everyone will point fingers at the other.

In regard to the personal coverage, VentureMan put it perfectly. Taking the coverage that is primary will, in almost all cases, keep you from "being caught in the middle". That's what I choose for my travels.

Have a great upcoming vacation ~ Bon Voyage!!

On myinsurance.com at the right side of the page is a color chart with primary secondary and other stipulation. Match the color to the column for each policy to see if it primary or secondary, The information is there to read,

I would stick with Travelex. Given the reason you're considering switching to Travel Safe, remember this. If a hurricane is due to hit your cruise port, but hasn't yet, the cruiseline will cancel your cruise and give you several options, such as cancel and get a complete refund, switch to another cruise, etc. They won't keep a ship in a port where a hurricane is imminent.

So given your concern regarding that aspect of your travel, don't fret it. Go with Travelex because they are a great company and as others have pointed out, they are primary insurers.

This is the first time we have bought travel insurance. There are so many that I became really confused. Called my own insurance company and they said I was covered out of the country, but to get evacuation insurance. I called insuremytrip.com and talked to a rep there. She gave me some good advice - and I wanted primary insurance also so as to not have a hassle. She recommended "TdavelInsured", which I purchased. Go with what YOU need. I was more concerned about the evac in case of an emergency, seeing we're 60 ya never know:(

Archived