Paris- Tourist Beware

I just returned from an overnight in London. While there, I took a tour to Stonehenge and met several others on our minibus. One couple was headed to the US Embassy yesterday (the reason for my trip to London-extra passport pages). They had done a tour to Paris on the Eurostar the prior day. While in Paris, he had his wallet and passport stolen. Eurostar had no problem sending him back to England/London without a passport. Evidently Eurostar expects a certain number of tourists to end up without their passport. :eek: So, all of you with upcoming trips to Europe, buy those wallets that fit under your clothing or use a hotel or cruise safe.

Cheers, Pam

You are absolutely right, it could be anywhere. However, in this case, it was Paris just three days ago. (I personally love Paris and will be there in late May for a long weekend.) It never hurts to let people know what is occurring in places they may be visiting.

Cheers, Pam

Thanks for a timely warning. But it's a bit unfair to single out Paris. This could happen anywhere. The title could just as easily be "Planet Earth - Tourist Beware"! :D

I totally agree with this,and I know the OP said she posted as it just had just happened in Paris,BUT I want to add that a lot of tourists do travel sometimes with out a clue about their wallets,bags,PP's etc.I don't know why,but I have a guess:D .People..travel wisely is all I can say,and keep your valuables out of sight in a secure place especially in a crowded area or on a metro or you are going to get picked off.It's tourist season all over and pickpockets are very good at what they do.If you travel carelessly please do not be surprised if and when you do get picked off.Sorry,I just had to vent:eek: .

Be careful at the Gare du Nord (Eurostar arrival & departure point.) This station is noted for its pickpockets waiting for the tourists to come in. Don't be paranoid - just careful. Don't let anyone "help" you get your metro ticket - safer to take a taxi for this particular part of your trip.

I agree with Globaliser. It is important to be an alert traveler no matter where you are in Europe, Asia, or any other part of the world. This thread could have easily talked about the same event in Rome or Barcelona and I am willing to bet there will be posts this summer about this exact same situation. As the seasons change, the scenarios stay the same.

When we are in a foreign environment, trying to move baggage and people around in a different language, it is hard to remember the most important thing is your money and your passport. Anyone "helping" you or offering souvenirs for sale on a bit of cardboard is highly suspect. When I am tired and confused, sometimes I find a seat or simply back up against a wall until I figure out what is going on around me. A swirl of activity and confusion is an invitation to Bad Guy to take advantage.

Enjoy your trip but be sure to be careful out there.

Ruby

It's everywhere. A friend had his wallet stolen in Vienna. Keep your wallet in an inside jacket pocket or one of the bags that hang around your neck.

Also been reports of purses being stolen if they were set down for just a few seconds.

Thanks for a timely warning. But it's a bit unfair to single out Paris. This could happen anywhere. The title could just as easily be "Planet Earth - Tourist Beware"! :D

I agree it is not just Paris, it could very easily be "anytown, USA".

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this can happen anywhere. While I did not have my wallet or any items stolen but back in 1999 when I was in Rome, I helped to catch a pick-pocket on the subways. I saw this couple who stood out badly as a tourist. They had cameras around their necks, maps everywhere but they had a backpack that held their wallets, papers and of course, passports. They were standing not too far from me so I can see all those surrounding us. As the train moved from one station to another, I saw a kid inch his way towards the couple and I was watching this kid and trying to see if he was going rip off this couple. As this kid moved around to the behind of the couple, I knew what was going to happen, so I charged through this couple and grab the kid the moment his hands were in the couple's backpack. Everyone saw what I did and froze. I yelled at this kid in Italian and as soon as we stopped at the next station, I yanked this kid and the couple off the train and some other passengers were grateful enough to call the polizia for me. The polizia came and took the kid from me and I explained to the polizia what was happening. The polizia ordered the couple to double check their belongings to make sure that nothing else was taken. Then the polizia strip searched this kid, took all his clothes off and you guys wouldn't believe the amount of stuff he had on him. Several different passports, jewerly, etc... I really wasn't surprised though because this is common in Rome.

The couple, thankfully to me did not lose anything, however, they got a lecture from me. I told them what to do and what not to do while traveling and I happened to have a hidden fanny pack on me and I gave this couple mine and told them to use it for their wallets, passports and whatnot. They were very grateful for me and obviously learned a huge lesson that day.

As for the kid, well I'm sure the polizia took care of him.

The lesson is to be very careful of your surroundings. These kids and adults are your normal looking kids. If you are with a tour, please make a note of everyone on your tour. If you see someone who has joined your tour then you better notify your guide. Never carry your valuables in your backpacks where they can be stolen easily. Always have a small fannypack that you can hide inside of your pants and put them in there. That way if someone tries to steal from you all they would take is souvenirs and or junk from your bag. Also when you are traveling in subways during peak hours (traffic) be very careful, this is a perfect time to have your stuff stolen without you looking.

I've traveled enough to know what to do and what not to do.

A friend of mine was in Europe last year on a train standing in a crowded car. :eek: As the door opened to deploy passengers, a well dressed man handed him his wallet and courteously said, "you should be more careful with your valuables". The man quickly left the train as the doors closed. Looking in his wallet the only thing remaining was his passport. :( Thank God for this honest thief as it could have really been a problem! ;)

Archived