Transportation to Blarney from Cork, Ireland

For those of you who have stopped at Cork, could you tell me if there are cabs/vans at the dock that will give you a tour and go to Blarney castle or do I need to make arrangments in advance?

One of the ships tours is a 9 hour Best of Ireland bus tour, as we will be doing a long tour in Normandy, we were not sure if we wanted another long tour. We have 6 in our group so thought our own tour would be better.

Any suggestions?

On our 2002 cruise on the Royal Princess, we took the Princess shuttle into Cork. It was the longest shuttle ride I've ever taken. Once in Cork, we crossed the river and found the bus station and took the regular bus into Blarney, very inexpensive. Armed with a schedule of returning buses, we enjoyed our self-tour of the castle.

In retropect, I think I'd take a taxi into Kinsale from Blarney as well. hear it's a beautiful place. We would have had plenty of time.

Bus Eireann runs buses frequently from Cork's Parnell Center bus station. Here's the website w/ schedules; click on "Journey Planner." http://www.buseireann.ie/site/home/ Trip to Blarney takes about 30 minutes and is inexpensive. Kinsale is a lovely seaside town and can be reached easily by taxi from Blarney but I've no idea what the fare might be. Enjoy!

starboard

Sue Young.....We hired Bulter- Buses for June, 04......His 12 seater van was 30 euros per hour.....We had 9 in our party to help split the cost...We had a great time and a very comfortable ride... Ian the owner of Bulter Buses responds very quickly to any e-mails and will answer any questions you might have....Debbie

We have hired Butler Buses for our September transatlantic cruise. I agree Ian has been very responsive and suggested a very agreeable itinerary. He charged us 265 euros for up to 13 people for an 8 hour day. Glad he was well received by those that have used him before.

Jerry

We just returned from the Constellation with a stop in Cork, Ireland.

I had pre-arranged a pick up by Seamus Buckley -- an 8-hour private driver/guide. There were 4 of us in his van that could take 12 people. Very, very comfortable van with big windows for viewing. He played Irish music as we drove through countryside so quiet that I think it was his private road. We never hit the touristy spots. Of course, if that is what you want, he'll adapt to that.

Through e-mails we decided what type of day we wanted and he was ready to adjust if something else came to mind.

It was a very special wonderful day with a very knowledgeable guide. He had a story for every curve in the road. I would highly recommend him.

E-mail him at: info@hollowaytravel.com

(His family also has a B & B in Mallow, Ireland)

You won't be disappointed with his services.

• 1 year later...

Our group of 20 used Butlers Buses from Cork on the June 19th sailing on RCI Jewel of the Seas. Wanted to let everyone know that they lived up to their promise to provide not only transportation and time at Blarney Castle but then travelled on to Kinsale for a lunch on your own and some time to spend on our own. Our driver was Kevin who was very knowledgeable and accomodating about any information while driving and also about the itinerary we chose. Would recommend them to anyone travelling to Cork.

• 5 years later...

I know this thread is old, but are there cabs in Cork (or near Kent Station) that take the same route to Blarney? I heard the queue for the 224 bus is long? Thanks. We'd like to see Blarney castle while in Cork for the day but wanted to do it on our own instead of the excursion.

Is your ship berthed in Cork or Cobh??

I would just take a taxi. You can also prearrange to have a taxi from Cork waiting if you're in doubt with whom to reserve. The people of Cobh (chamber of commerce) are very willing to assist with any questions etc you have. (for want of a better work, Cobh is similar to a "suburb" of Cork)

Ship docks in Cobh, taking the train to Cork. Was thinking of doing a HOHO bus in Cork but realized that Blarney Castle is seemingly close. Everyone raves about the #224 bus but it seems like there are massive queues for it. Was just wondering if cabs are available to make the jaunt up there (however a cab might be pretty pricey). :confused:

price it out at dock, or pre reserve. Cobh is pretty small, so I would pre-reserve a taxi, even one from Cork (they will come over to Cobh ). Chamber of Commerce are great at Cobh, email them. They were a wonderful help for all my questions and needs, I think I emailed Kathleen.

Archived