Getting from LAX to San Pedro with an infant?

foft

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on how to get from LAX to San Pedro with an infant?

By California law, infants cannot travel without a car seat, and the shuttles don't provide them. So the shuttles are out unless I buy one and bring it with me for the whole trip.

Options I was thinking of:

(1) Taxi from LAX to San Pedro - are car seats required for infants in California? Does anyone have an estimate of how much this would cost?

(2) Renting a mini-van and dropping off luggage and infant (with family, not by himself) and then returning in Long Beach. Then taking a taxi from Long Beach to San Pedro. I hear the taxi ride is only about 10-15 minutes. Any estimate on cost?

Thanks in advance,

FOFT

Did you check into the Cruise Line about using transfers. I believe these are via a bus which would not require the use of a car seat. This cant be anymore expensive then renting a minivan , then being separated from your family while you return the car and then get taxi back to the ship. Good Luck

I hate to ask - how's the baby travelling in the plane, on a lap? There are such things as infant fares which are about 1/2 an adult plane fare. That way you strap the baby in the car seat in an airplane seat and you'd have the car seat for the transfer to the ship. IMHO, with the cost of an already expensive cruise, a few more $$ to ensure the safety of the baby is worth it.

We took along the car seat on our girl's first few cruises (23 months, 3 years, 5 years) and the booster seat after that. The only flight was when she was 3 years and we checked in the seat (we bought a seat for her). We used the car seat in any taxis we went in. When we rented a minivan for a post-cruise sightseeing week, we put the seat in that.

If she was much younger, we would have checked with the airlines to find out if her seat would fit in their seats (something you can check on).

The booster seat was easy as it comes apart in two pieces and then we can tie them together with rope. We then use a giant duffle bag to carry it. When needed, we put it together and put in the vehicle. Just a few minutes.

California law says car seats are needed up to 80 pounds, if I'm remembering correctly. Unfortunately many parents aren't following that.

Archived