FYI on cancellation policy

amd1234

A few weeks ago due to a medical emergency involving my son we cancelled our Danube River Cruise with Amadeus. Well things worked out well enough that we were able to rebook our trip. We purchased our tickets & transfers with Amadeus and when we rebooked we were charged $500.00 for a penalty and $269.00 the price difference in the ticket. If we booked our flight directly with the airline and had a physcian's note they would have wavered the penalty charge. We have travel insurance, hopefully we will be able to file a claim. Our travel agent was terrific dealing with Amadeus and they gave us a difficult time. : Question any cruisers ever file claim for airline penalties? Thanks....

We often book our own air and take out insurance. We had one trip where we had to cancel and filed a claim. We called the company, they sent forms to be signed by doctor, we sent them back and got the refund.

http://www.orbitz.com has a link to Access America for vacation or air insurance. Click on the "TLC" button on top right on page, find link for "Travel Protection".

We had a trip booked a few years ago (with Gate1) and I broke my ankle the week before we were due to go. Gate1 had booked the airline tickets for us. We had purchased cancellation insurance from a travel insurance company (Highway to Health). Gate 1 refunded us about half of the land charges and Highway to Health refunded the rest, as well as the airline charges. All it took was some paperwork, sent to us from the insurance company and we had the check within a few weeks.

We took the trip the following year.

Archived