Ecstasy-Only Thread! Ask questions and post info. here!

pbeachbum

Sorry to hear you were so displeased with Ecstasy. We were on shortly after the last dry dock and loved the new bedding. We were supposed to be on her this last January, but I had to cancel last minute, so I havent been on her since 2006. I have her booked Jan 2009 now. Hopefully, our cabin isnt smelly and musty. Too bad the dry dock hasnt been scheduled.

We are neither working class families or newlyweds lol nor are many of the other CCers I know who cruise Ecstasy, mostly because it is a cheap getaway if you live in Texas.

I've been on four cruises and this was my second voyage on the Carnival Ecstacy. This ship stinks....LITERALLY! From the moldy-musty cabins to the sewer odor on upper decks to the cigarette smoke permeating the Promenade Deck, the air quality in this ship is horrible. It's unpleasant and, if anyone in your party suffers from asthma or allergies, I suggest you avoid this cruise entirely.

This cruise mostly attracts working class families plus a few newlyweds. Our children had a blast on the Ecstacy both last summer and this summer, there's plenty for them to do on-board and on excursions. If you're looking for elegant, cultivated ship-mates, or seeking an adult singles scene, I suggest you book elsewhere. Happy cruising!

Thanks for taking the time to post. Sorry you were disappointed. Where was your cabin located and how was it?

Due to your warning I will bring a box of baking soda to help absorb any oders that might be in our cabin, along with the ususal can of disinfectant that I bring. We can always open our balcony door, too. I can't tolerate oders, even good ones like perfume. That and to escape the noise and pool games is one of the reasons I usually get a balcony to relax on.

None of our group fits the categories of "working class families" or "newlyweds". The four of us are empty nesters and professionals, one of which is a high school counselor who has to cruise when school is out :( and two of us could not get away for more than a few days due to other commitments. But it is a quick and easy short cruise within driving distance at a time when all 4 schedules jived.

I've been on four cruises and this was my second voyage on the Carnival Ecstacy. This ship stinks....LITERALLY! From the moldy-musty cabins to the sewer odor on upper decks to the cigarette smoke permeating the Promenade Deck, the air quality in this ship is horrible. It's unpleasant and, if anyone in your party suffers from asthma or allergies, I suggest you avoid this cruise entirely.

Ecstacy's best featire is exceptional service. From the waiters to the cabin boy, Ecstacy's entire crew was diligently helpful, cheerful and attentive. The cleaning crew worked non-stop to keep the Ecstacy ship shape in the wake of a fully-booked crowd but occasionally fell behind.

Food in the dining room was above average and the buffet adequate. Though musty, our cabin was clean and well appointed. The Ecstacy's decor is dated and shows increased wear and tear since last summer. Both glass elevators in the main lobby were out of service the entire cruise, public room furniture is shabby and worn. The air-conditioning is spotty, some areas of the ship are extremely cold.

Our teens were very disappointed when The Amazing Cozumel Race was canceled last minute but enjoyed Adventure Park, Zip Line & Snorkel excursion instead. In Progresso, we had a nice time chilling out at the Corona Beach party. If you're into shopping, Cozumel is the better port of the two.

This cruise mostly attracts working class families plus a few newlyweds. Our children had a blast on the Ecstacy both last summer and this summer, there's plenty for them to do on-board and on excursions. If you're looking for elegant, cultivated ship-mates, or seeking an adult singles scene, I suggest you book elsewhere. Happy cruising!

This is a fairly accurate and reasonable assesment of the Ecstasy (2 previous trips on her). It's not all doom and gloom, just not top shelf. And we've met some really nice folks on this ship too. I will strongly agree that the staff on this ship makes up for the short comings of appearance or style. We'll be on the shorty trip 8/28/08 for a nice weekend of cruisin and chillin':cool: .

to the cigarette smoke permeating the Promenade Deck, the air quality in this ship is horrible. It's unpleasant and, if anyone in your party suffers from asthma or allergies, I suggest you avoid this cruise entirely.

Both glass elevators in the main lobby were out of service the entire cruise, public room furniture is shabby and worn.

This cruise mostly attracts working class families plus a few newlyweds.... If you're looking for elegant, cultivated ship-mates, or seeking an adult singles scene, I suggest you book elsewhere. Happy cruising!

I definitely agree that way too much smoke wafts out into the Metropolis Bar/Sushi Bar/City Lights boulevard area. And the aft-most (is that a word) stairs going from the pool area to the promenade deck smelt horribly of smoke when we were on board (a fact I can't explain). I do have quite severe asthma and we ended up avoiding these areas, especially those stairs. I was able however to be in the Rolls Royce Cafe (interestingly right next to the Metropolis which was horrid) and the Blue Sapphire Lounge without problems.

Also, while we were on board one of those glass atrium elevators broke right after we got off it (and people were still on it). It broke with quite a bang and a jolt too, and we never got on another elevator on the ship. LOL

I don't know that we are "elegant and cultivated" but we aren't newlyweds for certain. One of our fears was that this would be too much fo a party ship for us, who just wanted a quiet vacation alone, and we did manage to have that. :D

Well, I've never had a "bad" cruise so I am sure that I will have a wonderful time in spite of Ecstacy's "imperfections". I know I enjoyed my cruise on her in 11/04 over Thanksgiving and she's had at least one dry dock since then. I will just avoid the smokey areas and if all else fails, hang out on our balcony and drink boat drinks. :D I do appreciate all the info I can get so I know what to expect and can do my best to plan accordingly.

Galveston is looking good this morning on the webcams. Only 33 days 'til I am boarding the Ecstacy. Just wish someone else was going along with us. No one on the roll call but me... :( Anyone else cruising on 7/26/08 please click on the link in my signature to go directly to the roll call. :)

We leave on the Ecstasy next Saturday, the 28th! Cannot WAIT! This is our first experience on Carnival, too. I have cruised RCI, Princess and Celebrity in the past and can't wait to come back here and post my thoughts. I grew up a snob against Carnival! Not my fault; my parents - they thought - years ago - that Carnival was somehow or another low-brow and catered more to the party animals. So that's where I come from! I'm expecting a terrific experience, though, and I'm very excited!

Any last minute tips from the Carnival or Ecstasy experts? Any advice on particularly outstanding shows not to miss? I ask because I hate to force myself to see every, single one for fear I'm going to miss something!

I won't ask about my cabin - we travel tight and cheap :D! We're four in the cabin at M88. I don't mind cramming all four of us in there - we're NEVER in the cabin and I'm the only girl, so I'm the only one who takes up any room! On the plus side, I think the cabin is only about five doors down from the stairs & elevators.

We leave on the Ecstasy next Saturday, the 28th! Cannot WAIT! This is our first experience on Carnival, too. I have cruised RCI, Princess and Celebrity in the past and can't wait to come back here and post my thoughts. I grew up a snob against Carnival! Not my fault; my parents - they thought - years ago - that Carnival was somehow or another low-brow and catered more to the party animals. So that's where I come from! I'm expecting a terrific experience, though, and I'm very excited!

Any last minute tips from the Carnival or Ecstasy experts? Any advice on particularly outstanding shows not to miss? I ask because I hate to force myself to see every, single one for fear I'm going to miss something!

I won't ask about my cabin - we travel tight and cheap :D! We're four in the cabin at M88. I don't mind cramming all four of us in there - we're NEVER in the cabin and I'm the only girl, so I'm the only one who takes up any room! On the plus side, I think the cabin is only about five doors down from the stairs & elevators.

The final production show is not to be missed especially if you are from Texas or the 'country':)

I will be sailing on the Ecstasy next month and I cannot tell you all how excited I am..This will be my first time aboard this ship and I hope that it will be a rewarding experience for me..This will be my gf"s first time cruising and hopefully it will be one that she enjoys to make her wanna cruise again..I've read some bad reveiws but the good thing is that I've read more good than bad....Cozumel here we come:)

I will be sailing on the Ecstasy next month and I cannot tell you all how excited I am..This will be my first time aboard this ship and I hope that it will be a rewarding experience for me..This will be my gf"s first time cruising and hopefully it will be one that she enjoys to make her wanna cruise again..I've read some bad reveiws but the good thing is that I've read more good than bad....Cozumel here we come:)

Welcome to CC and you will have a fabulous sail on this great ship. She is not the newest or the biggest but can't be beat for a memorable at sea experience. Sounds like you are reading reviews and that is great, it will give you solid info from different cruisers. Bring that positive attitude you already have:D and it will be a blast!!!:D

Please come back and tell us about your cruise!!!:cool:

Lialico, We are cruising her again in 9 days. I will be sure to give you a review when we return. We sailed her last Aug. & I must say that the cruise itself wasn't bad but I could have done without some of the guests. Hopefully this time (since it is a holiday) the folks onboard will behave much better. I didn't take many pictures of the ship that time but I have taken some. Take a look at the roll call for Ecstasy July 3-7 and you can see some that I have posted. What cabin do you have for next month?

We're so jazzed about our upcoming cruise on Ecstasy! On our previous cruises, we seem to have established a trend where we spend most of the day on the Lido deck enjoying the pool and the sun.

We took our very first cruise year before last on Rhapsody of the Seas and we had a fabulous time! Baking in the sun, enjoying the fun and games topside. We also enjoyed the live Reggae band that played every afternoon.

Last year we sailed on a crowded Conquest with many families, and not that we're snobs or anything (really we're not, and we have kids and grandkids too!) we enjoyed the company of other mature cruisers at the adults only pool aft. But in doing so, we missed out on the activities midship.

Please tell us that Ecstasy (and all Carnival Ships) have live music on the Lido deck. I don't remember a band playing during embarkation on Conquest.

C-Ya in September!

Thank you all for this Ecstasy thread. I have a question about the Verandah deck - from the picture of the deck plans, I can't figure out if the white area by the cabins and the forward elevators is enclosed (indoors) or if it outdoors. Also, is it possible to walk forward to aft on this deck, or do you need to use the stairs? I may be in a wheelchair when we cruise, so I am trying to get an idea of how easy it will be to get around. I am hoping that the white area is all outside - but wanted to know for sure. Any help would truly be appreciated.

verandah.jpg.2d31de34ca03ab8a03f220094f8bc9d8.jpg

Yes Tom, Ecstasy has a band that plays at the pool. There is actually a stage that they play on. Here is a picture of the stage and band. They were very good. At night there is a group of 4, I think they are called "The Cover Band" that play in the Chinatown Lounge and they are a DO NOT MISS!! I'll let you know if they are still onboard...

CarnivalCruiseEcstasy07078_edited-1.jpg

Thank you all for this Ecstasy thread. I have a question about the Verandah deck - from the picture of the deck plans, I can't figure out if the white area by the cabins and the forward elevators is enclosed (indoors) or if it outdoors. Also, is it possible to walk forward to aft on this deck, or do you need to use the stairs? I may be in a wheelchair when we cruise, so I am trying to get an idea of how easy it will be to get around. I am hoping that the white area is all outside - but wanted to know for sure. Any help would truly be appreciated.

Yes the white area is accessable and it is outdoors. Use the elevators to get to deck 11 & you can get to the observation deck from there. You should be fine even if you are in a wheelchair at the time. This ship is very accommodating.

You might get an upgrade if you book a guarantee room. When you book a guarantee basically you're letting them know you'd be fine with any room on that deck. My first cruise I booked an inside guarantee on the Riviera deck and got an inside room on the Lido deck. When booking a guarantee you may not find out what your room number is until around 60 days before you cruise or I've read on here it may be the day of the cruise.

Sharon

Hey, Hubby and I were in M86 this past Jan!...had a blast...but 4 in a cabin is tight, 185 sq ft.! but you will have FUN! go see Extreme Country if they are on-board. They are good and I don't even like country!...:cool:

and I didn't smell any bad smells on board...if you don't like smoke stay out of the bars. The staff is excellent. I wanted to take my waiter home with me!!!

We are leaving on the Ecstasy on 7 July. Just a few questions about wine on that ship. I know we can carry on at embarkation 1 bottle per person.

What about at the ports in Progresso and Cozumel?

Also if we were to buy the bottles to be delivered to our room through the Bon Voyage people at Carnival would we be charged the corkage fee?

If you have recently carried on a bottle were you charged the corkage fee, seems some have and some have not on different ships.

Thanks,

Kari

Sorry, I can't answer the wine question but here is my 2 cents worth about the cruise: We sailed on the Ecstasy in March. The weather to and from Mexico was terrible with strong winds in the Gulf making many seasick. Fortunately, this shouldn't be a problem this summer... We would recommend Chankanaab Park as a safe place for a family to go in Cozumel. We brought our own food from the ship and glad we did as food/drinks were expensive there (by Mexican standards). I wish we had gotten a taxi to the ruins in Progresso instead of going through Carnival as it was more expensive. The ship itself is older so decor is a little dated but who cares - you're there to have fun, right? Oh, and since we were (I think) the only Canadians among Texans aboard the ship, we were still saying "Y'all" once we got home. Ha ha :)

We are leaving on the Ecstasy on 7 July. Just a few questions about wine on that ship. I know we can carry on at embarkation 1 bottle per person.

What about at the ports in Progresso and Cozumel?

Also if we were to buy the bottles to be delivered to our room through the Bon Voyage people at Carnival would we be charged the corkage fee?

If you have recently carried on a bottle were you charged the corkage fee, seems some have and some have not on different ships.

Thanks,

Kari

We took a bottle of wine onboard (can't do that in the ports) and brought our own cork-screw so no corkage fee was charged. Mind you it wasn't a typical cork-screw - this one fit down the sides of the cork instead of "in" the cork and you twist as you pull. I was afraid to take a normal cork-scew, for security reasons they will probably take it away from you.

We will be sailing on her September 25, our first cruise!!!! I am really looking forward to it, but there is a college football game that I would really love to see and would like to know if the ship gets either ABC or ESPN? If they do is there a sports bar on the ship that might be fun to watch the game in? Thanks for your help.

We will be sailing on her September 25, our first cruise!!!! I am really looking forward to it, but there is a college football game that I would really love to see and would like to know if the ship gets either ABC or ESPN? If they do is there a sports bar on the ship that might be fun to watch the game in? Thanks for your help.

We wanted to watch a Cowboys game last Aug. & couldn't. I don't remember why but I will check to see what channel(s) they get while onboard in 7 DAYS!!!

Archived