Gang Attack in Bermuda - Royal Gazette

Mark

OK folks since the CCPolice zapped the article that I posted, let me give you a high level summary. There was an article in today's Bermuda Royal Gazette Newspaper that said a gang of Bermudians attacked some crew members from the RCCL Voyage who were returning to the ship after a late night of partying. Article went on to say that Bermudian men resent foreigners coming to their island and chasing after Bermudian women. Lesson to the story is that if you are a guy and get off a ship in Bermuda, do not pursue any Bermudian women...the local natives do not like it!

I am sure this summary is not as good as the Royal Gazette article so please go to the Bermuda Royal Gazette website and read it for yourself. If I am lucky, the CC police will not zap this posting.:cool:

OK folks since the CCPolice zapped the article that I posted, let me give you a high level summary. There was an article in today's Bermuda Royal Gazette Newspaper that said a gang of Bermudians attacked some crew members from the RCCL Voyage who were returning to the ship after a late night of partying. Article went on to say that Bermudian men resent foreigners coming to their island and chasing after Bermudian women. Lesson to the story is that if you are a guy and get off a ship in Bermuda, do not pursue any Bermudian women...the local natives do not like it!

I am sure this summary is not as good as the Royal Gazette article so please go to the Bermuda Royal Gazette website and read it for yourself. If I am lucky, the CC police will not zap this posting.:cool:

If you posted the link it would not have been zapped. You can't post copyrighted material without permission because it's illegal!! There is a reason it has a copyright. But you can post links.

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/siftology.royalgazette/Article/article.jsp?sectionId=60&articleId=7d74cb33003001b

My comment is that crime has increased in Bermuda the last few years. Be careful.

I don't think is going to be a increased crime issue. We haven't heard all the facts about this assault and it is good to wait for a number of reasons. It may turn out that someone was protecting a Bermudian honor. and right now Bermuda is very sensitive about this issue because it has had much critism over Bermuda letting go two people who had sex with/raped and killed a tourist. In fact Tony Snow's wife came before the Bermudian Privy council to ask that a new trial be held for one of the people who had been acquited(the Judge found insufficient evidence to support the charge and directed the jury to come back with a verdict of not guilty). Since it was the jury who found the person not guilty, and even though on appeal to a council in England said that the judge was wrong but the person could not be tried again as in the US a person cannot be tried for a second time after a jury renders a not guilty verdict.

I don't think is going to be a increased crime issue. We haven't heard all the facts about this assault and it is good to wait for a number of reasons. It may turn out that someone was protecting a Bermudian honor. and right now Bermuda is very sensitive about this issue because it has had much critism over Bermuda letting go two people who had sex with/raped and killed a tourist. In fact Tony Snow's wife came before the Bermudian Privy council to ask that a new trial be held for one of the people who had been acquited(the Judge found insufficient evidence to support the charge and directed the jury to come back with a verdict of not guilty). Since it was the jury who found the person not guilty, and even though on appeal to a council in England said that the judge was wrong but the person could not be tried again as in the US a person cannot be tried for a second time after a jury renders a not guilty verdict.

I hae read of people getting their stuff taken on the beach and also when I was there last October was told that there are some drug type gangs now because some labor has been brought in from the poorer Caribbean to do some jobs. Compared to the Caribbean ports crime in Bermuda a very low and I would feel very safe in Bermuda but at the same time I think visitors there should be little more careful than in the past.

I hae read of people getting their stuff taken on the beach and also when I was there last October was told that there are some drug type gangs now because some labor has been brought in from the poorer Caribbean to do some jobs. Compared to the Caribbean ports crime in Bermuda a very low and I would feel very safe in Bermuda but at the same time I think visitors there should be little more careful than in the past.

I have seen the aftermath of a purse snatching and an arrest of someone for something else in St George of all places. I never said that there was no crime. Anyone who leaves their valuables on the beach any where is asking for it to walk away. There are drugs everywhere. But this is not an indication of increased crime against tourists. Sounds to me that some group of crew got drunk at the Frog and Onion and got into a fight with some locals(which may include the employees of the bar) and got the worst of it. If I ran a bar and someone started a fight the old billy club under the bar would be out....

I usually read the The Royal Gazzette every day online and I have noticed an increase amount of letters to the editor commenting how the local government needs to do something quickly to stem the tide of thefts and assaults that have been happening. They do not want the tourist trade to be damaged by these happenings. I remember seeing posters up and around Bermuda last year announcing this new program (I forgot what they were called but they wore pink shirts to recognise them:) ) and that these Bermudians would be "patroling" the areas where most tourists would be to help answer any questions and to watch out for the "criminal element". But like anywhere you go (even in your own backyard) know your surroundings and don't travel alone.

Vigilence is required anywhere, but I still feel safer traveling in Bermuda than to most any other destination.

Absolutely! I have never had an "uncomfortable" feeling at any time that I've been to Bermuda. It is good to see , though, that the community of Bermuda is aware that there are some troubles and that these issues are addressed before it get anywhere near out of hand.

We least never forget.

When in another Country we all have to act as if we are diplomats.

Nobody is and should be above the laws in any place.

Obey the laws and no problems usually occur.

Bermuda UnLike some other places ...does follow and uphold the Laws which are made.:eek: :cool:

Archived