First Time Cruise - QE2

Moo-Woo

Hi everyone. First cruise and first post! I've been reading through all the posts on this forum, I can't wait to join the Cruise Club! Myself and my girlfriend are booked on the Med. Teasures QE2 cruise on the 18th Sept (2004), and have been assigned cabin 5103.
Has anybody ever stayed in this cabin or is anyone else also on this cruise? I'd love to hear any thoughts or advice you may have for a newbie.
Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Moo-Woo,

Welcome to the boards.

I will just tell you to explore and take in what an ocean liner is about. The QE2 and especially her paintings and art are worth the trip. Pictures of the various ships in the stairwells are great as well as other memorabilia placed throughout the ship.

Take the Heritage Trail tour if you get the chance.

Ed

QE2 - 12/98, 09/00, 09/01, 06/03
Explorer of the Seas - 01/02
Grand Princess - 12/02
Majesty of the Seas - 01/04

Next up:
Queen Mary 2 - 11/04
Island Princess - 07/05

I did the Med. 9/14-28/00, with a short post-cruise stay in Istanbul. The weather was perfect - very sunny with highs in the low 80s and very little humidity. Weather was definitely warm enough to lie out on the sun deck even on sea days. I felt very comfortable doing shore excursions in linen trousers/skirts or capris and oxford shirts (and I don't deal with hot weather very well). Most of my fellow passengers (and other tourists not from the Cunard ship) were similarly dressed - saw very few shorts.

Istanbul was much cooler - temps very much like Mid-Atlantic's fall weather.

..."I'd love to hear any thoughts or advice you may have for a newbie...."

1) Meet QE2's mom: spend a night or two on the original Queen Mary, now hotel, in Long Beach, CA before you sail.

2) Read Captain/Commodore Warwick's book on QE2.

3) Bring good, compact binoculars.

Welcome Aboard!

Crouton

• 1 year later...
[quote name='Moo-Woo'] have been assigned cabin 5103.
Has anybody ever stayed in this cabin or is anyone else also on this cruise? I'd love to hear any thoughts or advice you may have for a newbie.
Thanks in anticipation.[/quote]
Hiya - we have also been assigned this cabin for our next cruise - what was it like? Last time we were in cabin 3034 which was 2/3 of the size so I am imagining this will be a bit bigger (although there will be 3 of us so it may not feel that way :D)

Hi Kevankiki,

Moo-woo was a previous alias of mine (until I got a new PC and forgot passwords etc!!). Anyway, we were in cabin 5103 on a med cruise last year. As you can probably tell, the cabin is on 5 Deck, not far from the stairways/lifts. The cabin itself is off the main corridor which buffets any through traffic noise somewhat. The cabin itself is nice, the door opens onto the room which has two single beds to the right with a cabinet/drawers in between them. The right hand side bed has a bunk type bed above it. The bathroom is just to the bottom of the beds and is a reasonable size, next to the bathroom are the wardrobes. The TV is on a swivel arm mount above the left hand side bed towards the bottom (left hand side as you walk in the cabin). The cabin was a fine size for us two, it may be a little cramped for three though. The main time being when getting ready to go to dinner etc, if you can work around this it will be fine. In fact it's a nice cosy cabin when all said and done. The only down side we had with it was that there were works going on just down the corridor which would start up at 1 or 2 in the morning with drilling and hammering. A phone call to the pursers office sorted this out though. Funnily enough we only spent 5 nights of the cruise in the cabin as the pursers office upgraded us to an outside cabin after 5 days, partly as recommpence for the workmen as we had rung a couple of times to complain. Weren't going to turn down an upgrade to an outside cabin! :)

All in all its a nice cabin, centred around midships, so motion shouldn't be much of an issue. Both myself and my girlfriend hope you really enjoy the cruise. We are also on a med cruise next year, in August. Can't wait.

Have fun!! :D

[quote name='Moo-Woo']Hi everyone. First cruise and first post! I've been reading through all the posts on this forum, I can't wait to join the Cruise Club! Myself and my girlfriend are booked on the Med. Teasures QE2 cruise on the 18th Sept (2004), and have been assigned cabin 5103.
Thanks in anticipation.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a great cabin. One of the larger insides on QE2. Nice midship location too.

The cabin is listed as 153 sq feet.

Attached is a scan of the cabin layout. Hope you find it useful.

Ernie

[IMG]http://images15.fotki.com/v227/photos/7/72533/2827536/QE2Cabin5103-vi.jpg?322417[/IMG]

Wow, thanks to both of you, Cunard Fan / Moo-Woo for the detailed description and especially to eroller for the diagram - very useful indeed! While I realise it may be a little cramped, it does seem to be a very large cabin for an M grade, and in a good location too! I reckon they should have finished the work by now as well.

I think that if we get offered an upgrade I would be tempted to turn it down as this cabin sounds hard to beat... unless of course we get bumped up to a C grade :D

Is the med cruise you mention the one that begins 14th August Cunard Fan? We nearly went for that ourselves but I would really like to visit Norway so we compromised with a 'back to back'

Archived