Any "Fat Smashers" out there?

4cats1house

It is a 90 day program with 4 phases starting off with a detox plan. This is followed by a period of laying down a good foundation, constructing good eating and lifestyle habits, and then maintaining these for a lifetime. Food choices and are initially restricted (hence reduced calorie intake), but these rules are relaxed throughout each phase.

I consider it a "smart carb diet"

all you can eat Fruit & veg

brown rice

oatmeal

Check out http://www.fatsecret.com for more info.

This is a great website for other diets too.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the diet that they use on Celebrity Fit Club, isn't it? I've looked at it in the bookstore and wondered how 'real' people would do with it! Is it super restrictive? It seems I have no self control when it comes to carbs...

How much have you lost now? 14 pounds is great!

Yes that's the diet.

The first 9 days are more restricted, but do-able.

To date I have lost 17 pounds.

I did low-carb/no-carb (Atkins) for awhile before this, but it was so much protein.

On this plan you get to have fruit, veg, cereal, brown rice, beans along with meat in moderation.

I really like the plan. It always helps when you see results too.

I have a cruise to Hawaii booked for Sept and with this plan I know that I will loose what I need too (and maybe more).

My goal is to loose another 15 to 20 pounds in the next 4 months - that is a reachable goal.

I am actually going to go out and get this today. I did as much research as I possibly could last night, and I think maybe I can do this! I still get bread! Well, eventually, but still, bread!:)

I see you are from SK! Where abouts? We are hiding out in Kelowna...

I might be interested in "joining in". I had maintained my Atkins "loss" for several years until an injury made it "difficult" to eat (long story). That was about 1 1/3 ago and the weight has crept up.. sometime quicker than other times. I just tried lo carb again and can't get the scale to budge... very discouraging... tell me about this "woe"... I'd LOVE to lose 25 lbs.. (all that I've gained) but don't know if that's going to be realistic.

TIA

Carolyn

I ordered the book today because I didn't feel like driving to the store to get it. What would I have done if online shopping hadn't been invented yet?

I will be attempting this when it arrives, hope it doesn't kill me!:cool:

Okay, Fat Smashers! I got the book on Saturday, and I'm starting the "Detox" phase tomorrow. DH is even coming along for the ride. I have some other things going on that will be keeping me busy, but I'll try to post in this thread at least once a day during the 9-day detox to let you know how it's going and so that you all can keep me accountable! :)

Wish me luck!!

Tammie

Due to some meetings I had to attend for work yesterday, my lunch selection was very limited, since I wasn't sure if I would have access to a refrigerator.

Breakfast:

1 bowl of Cheerios w/ lowfat milk (cheating a little bit there, b/c I hate oatmeal, but Cheerios is an excellent source of whole grain and is actually on the list for phase 2)

1 container of yogurt

8 oz water

Lunch:

grapes

1 apple

1 handful of dry Cheerios

16 oz water

Snack:

1 apple

1 corn on the cob

8 oz water

Supper:

1 bowl "pseudo taco salad" (iceberg salad, ranch style beans, and a little bit of picante sauce)

1 bowl ranch style beans (they were really good, and my first protein of the day, so I had some more!)

1 corn on the cob

16 oz water

It was definitely a drastic change, I'll say that. But since it's only for 9 days, I think I'll be able to do it. DH has joined in as well. We both noticed that the beans felt a lot more "substantial" than all the fruits and veggies we had during the day, so I'm trying to incorporate the protein sources a little earlier in the day. Today we added scrambled egg whites to breakfast, so hopefully that will help get us through the first part of the day without feeling like we're starving!

I'll try to continue posting my thoughts and progress during the 9 days. Hopefully it will help someone else who may be considering starting this, or has already started and needs support!

Tammie

I'm not going to post my menu from yesterday, because it only changed slightly, then stopped rather abruptly. Long story short, we have some temperamental microwaves at work, and the one I made the beans in yesterday apparently didn't cook them all the way through. I got sick and didn't feel like eating much for the rest of the day. :(

DH was kind enough to cook some more beans on the stove last night for us to take to work today. That way, we only have to reheat them, not cook them. I was going to cook them myself, but I wasn't sure I could handle the smell yet, after being sick.

I'm feeling better today so far, but I'm still not sure if I'm brave enough yet to eat the beans again!

About the only major change I made to the menu was that we had cereal and egg whites for breakfast. DH, who didn't get into the beans, said that he thought that having the egg whites at the beginning of the day gave him a good start and helped him through the rest of the day. BTW, I just got the egg beaters kind, I haven't been trying to separate them myself.

Tammie

Tammie,

Glad to see you are trying this plan.

It works for me and nothing else has ever worked this good for me without starving myself.

I have lost 21 pounds since starting (Mar/07).

I don't like regular oatmeal, but I really like the Steel-cut oatmeal.

Looking forward to hearing your results after the 9 days. (I lost 8 pounds in those 9 days).

Sorry I haven't posted. I haven't fallen off the wagon, I've just been busy! :)

Menu was more of the same. Unfortunately, since the food list is so limited during this phase, there's not much to tell after the first day! I did stumble across a super easy and pretty tasty recipe, though!

On Day 3, I made Steamfresh Asian Medley veggies and put them on top of some cooked brown rice. DH loved it too, and I liked it so much that I made it again for lunch on Day 4!

Still no beans for me the past two days. Maybe I'll be brave enough today. :p

I couldn't resist the temptation anymore and on the morning of Day 4, I got on the scale. I had lost 5 pounds already! The funny thing is that last night I learned that DH had succumbed to the same temptation (the same morning!) and had lost 3 pounds.

Honestly, I've been a little amazed at how this is going. Believe me, I am someone who LOVES FOOD! I thought that I would really be missing things like meat and chocolate right now. I haven't missed them at all. I have been trying to think of some easy recipes once I can start adding in meat again, but it hasn't been something that I'm "longing for" or anything. And the other day, I had to walk by the vending machines at work to get to the refrigerator where I was keeping my yogurt, and I looked in the vending machine, and nothing looked good! DH says that he has done the same, and things in the vending machine just look too sugary to him now.

I'll continue to post my thoughts, but so far, I'm convinced. If you're thinking about trying this plan, at least make the 9-day commitment and see what you think. I thought this phase was going to be pretty brutal, but so far it has been easier than I could have imagined.

Tammie

Hello:

I found the book at Walmart today. I can't wait to get started. One problem I have is, that DH does not need to lose any weight and I do. I just don't understand it. We started cruising 20 years ago and do the same amount of exercise, but he's managed to keep his weight under control and mine has gone up each year since we've been cruising. I think if I can get through the first 9 days, I can stick with it. I have a cruise in 5 months and I would love to have some weight lost by then. For those of you that have been on this for awhile, do you find that you're really hungry on this diet? I exercise a lot...go to Curves, walk my dogs and I love to swim, but we also eat out a lot now that our kids are grown and out of the house. I know if I can see some results via the scale, I'll be able to stick with it. I'll keep you posted.

Happy cruising......Sparkle 10;)

Men suck! My husband and I both need to lose weight. All he has to do is cut back on his eating a bit, and get a bit of exercise and his slowly and steadily comes off. With my thyroid disease, I make sure to eat enough to lose weight, and hit the gym usually a minimum of 3 times a week, and I am lucky to lose 1 pound a month! If he choses to join me on this when the book finally arrives, that's fine, if he doesn't, that's fine. I still have to make stuff for our 5 year old, so he can eat what she's eating if he doesn't want what I'm having!

Sorry, I have been really busy. Besides that, with a limited food list, I can't always think of new things to say anyway!

I still haven't had too many problems with cravings, but I am just terribly bored with my current food selection!! I'm looking forward to this phase being over just so that I can add a little more variety!!

Yesterday, Day 6, I did get my first (and so far only) craving. I was in the middle of working on something, wasn't even thinking about food or feeling hungry. Then out of nowhere, I suddenly imagined the taste of something that I won't mention here lest I cause cravings for readers! ;) So I grabbed an apple and told it to go away!

DH, on the other hand, has been struggling with meat cravings since Day 5. That's why I was surprised when he volunteered to start on Fat Smash with me--he proudly admits to being a carnivore! He has stayed on track tho. He told me this morning that even when he has the cravings, at the same time, he'll have a feeling of dread about the bad side of it, like greasiness, etc. So I think that has helped him to keep the cravings at bay.

A few months ago, we had gone out one weekend and we stumbled across an Omaha Steaks STORE (I didn't even know they existed--thought it was all mail order) near here. Unfortunately, they had just closed at the time. We have made plans to go up there again this weekend and try to see if we can get some really good meat for Phase 2. I absolutely LOVE their filet mignon! So we keep reminding each other that we have that to look forward to, and it helps us get through this last day and a half!

I will try my best to come back on Thursday and post our official weight loss results after Phase 1.

Tammie

Tammie,

You and your DH did very good.

Just remember to add things in moderation.

I have not been loosing lately, but my mom is staying with us so I am glad to be "staying the same" right now. Usually I gain while she is here (real home cooking).

Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started this diet 2 days ago, and am glad to see fellow cruisers trying it too!! Tomorroe makes day 3, and i have to admit, this is easier than I thought it would be.....I couldn't even make it a day with atkins! I don't feel hungry most of the time, and i have found numerous recipes for phase 1 that taste good. My DH is doing it with me, so that's my motivation!!!! Keep up the good work everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived