The Seabourn cruise experience- ways it could improve!

Host Dan

As an avid fan of the Seabourn Cruise experience, I thought this thread could be used for ways Seabourn could improve, and things we definately would not want to go away!

My ideas, (other than my obvious feelings about the Survival Kits) would be to update the entertainment drastically. Many passengers have sailed more than once, and have yet to see a "new" show. Hot goodies at the Club in the evening.

Host Dan

Dan,

As I have at least 5 or 6 "Survival Kits" sittin' on the shelf and many of the new document folder's that I don't use (I prefer the old navy blue leather ones~~also the old luggage tags) I agree that we Guests might enjoy other farewell gifts. Perhaps one of the cream colored/navy attractive Seabourn heavy tote bags. These are sold in the Ship's boutique.

As to the hot "goody hors d'oeuvres" in the Club before dinner, we always preorder these~~"pigs-in-the-blankets", etc.,etc. On the past few cruises we have enjoyed these almost every evening. These are for "the asking." Not a problem.

Martita B.

1) "Freshen" the Charlie Palmer menus and actively encourage more individual creativity by the onboard chefs; 2) Design different specialized excursions (such as a photography "trek") in addition to the (generally) excellent generic excursions. (For some reason, most current specialty excursions seemed designed around shopping); 3) Actually read and act upon some pax suggestions in the end-of-cruise comment cards. Can anyone cite comment card suggestions that have been implemented?

>"Can anyone cite comment card suggestions that have been implemented?"

On my first cruise (Pride '02) The Chef's cooking demonstration was held in the galley. Very few of us could see or hear. I suggested holding them elsewhere, such as the Lounge; the next year, it was held in the Lounge. Now they are held in the Dining Room. I suspect I was not the only one to suggest moving the event.

As suggestions, I would prefer a few personal 'Business Cards' instead of the stationery.

I would like the 'old' document holders and a brightly colored luggage tag. In a sea of dark luggage on a carousel, the black tag is of no help.

I would also prefer to live on Seabourn, but I doubt adding this idea to the form will help at all.

I would stop Eric de gray from performing his act,it is so old and tired,oh and what about that dreadful Bonnie the poor impersonation act.I am sure that we have all experienced good entertainment around the world and Seabourn is clearly lacking in this department,but just to balance that statement I do think that most cruise lines are churning out similar things.I stand at the back of the theatre at the start of an act and after five minutes I am normally off to spend my evening elsewhere.I am spoilt living in London with good theatre and shows.The entertainment is never a consideration when booking future voyages.

I would stop Eric de gray from performing his act,it is so old and tired,oh and what about that dreadful Bonnie the poor impersonation act.I am sure that we have all experienced good entertainment around the world and Seabourn is clearly lacking in this department,but just to balance that statement I do think that most cruise lines are churning out similar things.I stand at the back of the theatre at the start of an act and after five minutes I am normally off to spend my evening elsewhere.I am spoilt living in London with good theatre and shows.The entertainment is never a consideration when booking future voyages.

Well I for one love Eric's show, I have seen it dozens of times but still go back so would not like to see that go! As for Bonnie, impersonations are not my thing but I do think she is good at what she does and to be honest she gets a good reception from the audience every time! We do the same as you and sit at the back so we can "sneak out" if we do not enjoy the show. Each to his own though and plenty of people look to be enjoying the shows we leave!

As you say the entertainment is not why we book Seabourn!

As for improving the cruise experience I think the people in Miami and Southampton offices should treat passengers the way the crew do and everything would be perfect!

Kathryn

I think there is a limit as to what can be done with entertainment on ships as small as Seabourn's triplets. Plus, the entertainers have to "multi-task" as cruise directors and ACDs, limiting the amount of time they can devote to their shows. I think some individuals get burned out and this becomes apparent in their shows and onboard, public personalties. Overall, I've enjoyed most Seabourn entertainment (mainly because I don't expect too much) and, on occasion, the special guest performers have really been great. The new ships, when they arrive(??), will likely provide a better venue for entertainers.

I also agree with Daneite that the shoreside operation is Seabourn's weak link--too much like a "Mom & Pop" operation.

I guess I'll have to wait for the new ships, since they will be "improving" on the location of the pool. I think Deck 7 is a disaster. You can't see out to the ocean at all from any of the loungers without obstructions from the tenders, etc. And of course the pool is not open, in the sun, nor does it have any seating around it. I understand the new ships will correct this problem.

I also noticed that Seabourn is going to allow us to pre-book shore excursions. That's a great idea. I'm an early bird so I don't take in much of the entertainment. Truthfully, I like the small town feeling of it. I think it's charming that the cruise directors double as the talent!

Agree about the "survival packs". They're cute on your first cruise, but I think they could save their money and discontinue handing them out to repeat cruisers. Shoreside, the one thing I would request improvement on is the people who answer the phones when I call Seabourn's sales/booking number. They are frosty!

Jane :rolleyes:

I can not comment on this thread because our May 2008 will be our first on Seabourn, but I will say this.

One of the reasons I've booked Seabourn is because we're weary of the glitzy, over the top, seen so many times shows on Celebirty, NCL, Princess, etc., etc.

We would much rather sit and listen to good jazz, engage in conversation with others or just have a few cocktails (but that is just my personal opinion).

We do so look forward to our cruise because of the advertised entertainment (or lack of).

As far as I'm concerned, Eric DeGray and Bonnie do a WONDERFUL job! My only suggestion would be to hire an outside director to help create some new "low-key" entertainment. This way it would free up Eric and associates the task of trying to get something new together on their own. Please understand that I am not complaining about the entertainment talent, just maybe an update on the shows.

Host Dan

I too, enjoy Eric DeGray's performances as well as his charming personality. We've enjoyed a fellow named Larry Collier twice aboard the Pride~~Larry was one of the original Platter's. He was contracted as a Pride "bug man," until someone discovered he was a "Platter!" The 1st time he performed in the Club, he received 7 standing ovations! He is truly a marvelous entertainer. Would certainly like to see him again soon aboard the Yachts.

The one item I would like most are the small Spa robes~~they seem to "walk off" or the Guests borrow them and take these homes with them. I now take my own~~but it would be nice to always have one hanging in the closet. The HUGE quilt/robe swallows me and are very uncomfortable to wear.

'Course, MORE "twice baked goat cheese souffle."

As our ships go into dry dock I am sure we will see a few MAJOR changes~~~Pride goes in 1st, I think.

Martita B.

Part of the issue with the entertainment is that on the present ships there just isn't enough room to put many entertainers. This will be addressed with the new ships. As far as the present talent, as the posts here show, there are those that are very dedicated...each way. That makes it tough...especially since adding is not really an option.

Passed hors d'oeuvres are little more than something to be asked for. It is interesting how on one cruise "tea" is consumed and on others those lovely snacks just go to waste. That said, their appearing would be nice.

I also do not like the present ticket holders or luggage tags. The blue ones very very nice and the black Tumi ones were also good. I did like the boxed presentation (though it cost me more to mail them to my clients!).

As I am not one to really rely upon a cruise line for shore excursions, I can't really comment. The problem is, of course, committing to high quality tours without a guarantee of x number of guests. Something "specialized" that make sense if 10 participate is hard to economically or practically do with just 3 people. That is a tough one to solve.

So far it seems that entertainment is the biggest "issue"; which is a known weakness. (Commenting on ticket holders kinda seems silly, thinking about it.:eek: )

feel the menus are getting a little boring and Charlie Palmer is a little passee. You get on board now and you know exactly what is going to be on the menu most nights. They need a revamp. With regard to the entertainment one doesn't go on Seabourn for the entertainment. On the other hand the shows never vary and good as some of them are you know they are going to be exactly the same (with minor alterations) as the last time.

>"(Commenting on ticket holders kinda seems silly, thinking about it. )"

Perhaps so, but if one considers the re-use and potential advertising, then it might be more relevant. I am fine with the paper booklet and I can use an older version that is more flexible and accommodating for my magazine articles, etc. I thought the Tumi ones were bad, but the current ones are worse.

Sheilagh and others have made good points about Charlie Palmer. But then I suspect Seabourn knows I won't defect for boring menus.

This was touched on a little on the going away gift thread.

This winter to help cut down on sick days (and it appears to have helped) the railroad I am currently working at, put a basket of these out at all coffee machines.

DSCN02472.jpg

I like this little wipes better than the bottles I used to carry. I carried some of these on both my Seabourn cruises. I especially like them on my Pride cruise where I had two shore excursions with buffet lunches.

IMHO it would be a nice touch to have a small basket of these on the makeup desk with a card saying they were provided by Seabourn for their guests trips ashore.

Blackie,

What a great idea! I have used the hand sanitizing "machine" at the entrance to the gangway (also at the restaurant entrance) each time I embark and disembark the ship~~but if we had the hand sanitary packages available we would have even more protection. Maybe even a basket of packages on the Purser's Desk~~~by the ginger!:p

Pinkie

We too enjoyed Larry Collier. He told us he was going to apply to SB for the entertainment. That would be such a treat. He really captures the audience. We couldn't believe...that he was simply the "bug man" aboard. Hearing the old platters songs was a treat.

LaPaloma,

I had met Larry a previous morning while walking down the corridor.

He was "zappin'" the bugs~~I stopped and said "hello, you're surel doing a good job...." Of course, I never dreamed he was A Platter!!

'Lo and behold that same evening in the Club after dinner, Captain Toenis told me we were going to enjoy a "surprise guest entertainer!" Wellll, Larry certainly was a huge hit on the Pride!

I have mentioned him to Blue Lagoon and ask if we could enjoy him again~~~he's grrrreat! Especially singing, "Only You!"

Martita B.

As far as I'm concerned, Eric DeGray and Bonnie do a WONDERFUL job! My only suggestion would be to hire an outside director to help create some new "low-key" entertainment. This way it would free up Eric and associates the task of trying to get something new together on their own. Please understand that I am not complaining about the entertainment talent, just maybe an update on the shows.

Host Dan

I agree completely with Dan's comments re Eric and Bonnie!!

Unless you jump lines, freq. cruisers on any line will see the acts getting old. I had dinner with a couple entertainers on my Mariner cruise and was shocked with the price Regent pays for costumes and to the copyright holders of the music.

One thing they could do is have "Guest" Guest Lecturers. :) I know Norm has done some lectures and I would bet within the ranks of Seabourn pass passengers there are a lot of people that would be willing to do an one hour lecture on a topic. Bull Branding by Pinkie. :eek:

This would cost Seabourn very little and would add another option for something to do.

Blackie,

I agree as to the "Guest Lecturer's." My friend from England, Mark B. is a Chevalier of fine wines and champagnes. I would love to hear him lecture. We have so many talented Guests aboard the Yachts. Another good friend, Mary B. is a concert pianist.

I've done my 'lit part~~twice I've teamed with the Chef and we hosted cookin' demos." First one, I taught the Guests to make "Texas Fire and Ice Pickles~~" The 2nd demo we fried "Corn-On-The-Cob." These were held in the restaurant~~~alot of silly fun and PHOOEY. Drank champagne and wore plastic bibs~~with corn cobs stamped on the "crumb catcher's!"

This would be a super idea~~~on a 12 day Crossing I can easily think of 4 or five Guests that would be excellent lecturer's!

Pinkie

(I stopped ropin', ridin' and branding years ago!

I turned Sailor woman)

Archived