Upgrade at pier?

danyelle

Is it possible? I may want to surprise the folks traveling w/ me w/ a suite vs balcony... Please let me know if it was possible and if it was a hassle or not. Additionally, if you ordered gifts to your room before hand and made the switch did everything show up at your new cabin?

Thanks!

Upgrades at the pier do NOT seem to be possible. If, by some chance, there was an available cabin, you would pay the full price on the upgrade. If you want to surprise folks, you might consider buying a upgrade after documents have been delivered, and asking them NOT to send new documents. If you are willing to divulge the surprise when you arrive at the dock, you can get new luggage tags from the porter before you check your bags. If you don't want to let on until you are actually onboard, then you can either be sneaky about changing luggage tags OR be prepared to look for your luggage outside (or possible inside) your formerly assigned cabin.

I would imagine that all the suites would be gone by the time of embarkation. If there were suites available within the 7 days of sailing they would be upgraded to paid passengers...so if you want to suprise them do it right after the final pay day and then ask Carnival not to send new docs...Very nice by the way - they will Love you forever!!!

I've also heard if you purchase or upgrade at the pier, be prepared to pay the full rack price which is a lot more than anyone who books ahead of time pays. Apparently a few people in the past, before cruising got so popular, were able to do this. No one who posts here (that I've ever seen) has done this in the last few years at least.

I've also heard if you purchase or upgrade at the pier, be prepared to pay the full rack price which is a lot more than anyone who books ahead of time pays. Apparently a few people in the past, before cruising got so popular, were able to do this. No one who posts here (that I've ever seen) has done this in the last few years at least.

We did it in 2006 on the MSC Opera. went from an inside to a balcony.

We boarded around 11 a.m. We went immediately to the Pursers desk, and said if there were upgrades available we'd be interested.

When we returned from the muster drill there was a note to go to the pursers desk.

The cost was $250.00 per person, well worth it, imho.

Hugh in Dallas

I would imagine that all the suites would be gone by the time of embarkation. If there were suites available within the 7 days of sailing they would be upgraded to paid passengers...so if you want to suprise them do it right after the final pay day and then ask Carnival not to send new docs...Very nice by the way - they will Love you forever!!!

Thanks I htink I'll do this... How far in advance does Carnival send Docs?

Thanks I htink I'll do this... How far in advance does Carnival send Docs?

Usually 3-4 weeks out at most. Sometimes people dont' get them til a day or two before, especially if booked through a TA who receives them first and sits on them. Our TA was wonderful about getting ours to us right away.

Archived