Lisbon......Four Seasons or Lapa Palace

PittsburghJack

My personal choice is thr Ritz Four Seasons--if you arrive late you can make a light meal of snacks at the very comfortable bar. I love the personnel, location, and ambiance of the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who prefer the ambience of a smaller, boutique hotel, we can recommend the Britania, excellently located, very large rooms, and a very "personal" feel. Britania is part of a boutique chain and has fewer than 60 guest rooms in a vintage, art deco building. It's a block off the Liberdade and steps from the Avendida metro stop. Rates include a substantial breakfast. http://www.heritage.pt/ We enjoyed our stay there very much.

Hi Jack,

We stayed at the Lapa Palace last November prior to our Silver Wind cruise. The hotel was quite luscious, the rooms were lovely, huge marble bathroom with great soaps and a wonderful balcony view of the pool area. We ate a light dinner in the lounge off the lobby and had a beautiful breakfast buffet in the morning downstairs. We were able to book a city excursion through the Silverseas rep at the cruise desk.

Best of luck in your decision, Beth

Hi Marja! Yes, our breakfast was included in the rate (a non-refundable "internet special"). I booked it a few weeks before our departure from here. I'm not a fan of super-big hotels, so we found the Britania 'just right' for us, with very accommodating, personal service. Have you been to Lisbon before? Neat city - try to give it a little extra time if it's your first visit.

Hi Itsally!

Yes, we have been there quite a few times already. So one afternoon, evening and morning will do for us. I saw you and your husband get out of the bus at the Britania Hotel on March 31. And I was going to ask you about it, when you brought it up your self. But I'm also looking at a few other hotels for November. So let's see!

Best regards,

Marja

For those who prefer the ambience of a smaller, boutique hotel, we can recommend the Britania, excellently located, very large rooms, and a very "personal" feel. Britania is part of a boutique chain and has fewer than 60 guest rooms in a vintage, art deco building. It's a block off the Liberdade and steps from the Avendida metro stop. Rates include a substantial breakfast. http://www.heritage.pt/ We enjoyed our stay there very much.

Hi Itsally,

I too was looking at the Britania and it looks very interesting. (It will be full up with Seabournites at this rate!) Is it near enough to the centre of town to walk? We have been to Lisbon a couple of times but looking at the map it was hard to tell just how far it is from the centre of things.

Shelagh

• 4 weeks later...
We have booked the Metropole, on Rossio Square...never been to Lisbon but this looks very central from what I have read....also includes breakfast.

Thank you Granny Lorr! I called the Ritz for reservations today and as I understand the hotel has been bought by another corporation.:eek: The only Ritz in Portugal, according to their web site, is outside of Lisbon (a golf resort).The Metropole sounds interesting. I'll surely look it up. Have you read anything on the Lapa? Jack

For those of you who have not booked a hotel in Lisbon yet: Check out this one! It really looks wonderful.

www.farol.com.pt

Marja

Hi Marja,

It does look a great hotel! The music was a little annoying though:D . I could not tell from the map where it is in relation to the port, have you any idea?

Love to you and Renee

Kathryn

Oops Kathryn, I normally have no sound on my computer here upstairs, because there are often (grand)children in the adjacent room! So I didn't hear the music, but we did book the hotel, because not only is the location of the hotel beautiful, but also are the rooms decorated very nicely, I think..........

Love to you and Brian too.

Hi Marja,

We were looking at this for post cruise April '08 as we board in Rome for the November transatlantic. Really does look a great hotel though, you will have to give us a review after you have stayed there.

Kathryn

Unfortunately Judith and Tony are not able to join us in November but they are joining us for the spring '08 crossing on Legend, are you on that one too? I do not think you will ever be free of the golf joke!

Kathryn

Some might find this information too late, and others, helpful for future trips to Lisbon. Owning a second home in Lisbon, I have been to many of these hotels when my house was being restored. I hope you find this information will help in your decision.

I am surprised to read that the Ritz Four Season is going under management changes, as their website is still operational. This is a luxury hotel overlooking Parque Eduardo VII, in the center of town. 282 rooms all with marble baths, a world class spa, and an excellent! restaurant. The Lapa Palace is an Orient Express Hotel. The Palace was built in 1870, (modern architecture for Lisboa). There are 109 rooms most built into a new wing with all the modern comforts. There is also a very highly regarded Italian restaurant. The Palace and the Ritz are both 5-star properties. The Britania has 4-stars. It opened in 1940 originally, but was refurbished in 2004. It has an art deco style with unique and interesting details. The Metropole is a much smaller property with 3-stars. I don't know much about this hotel, as I have never been to it.

I absolutely love Lisboa, Portugal, and the Portuguese people. Most are very warm and are very closely attached to their families. I love that about them. The Portuguese love their absolutely fresh seafood. The best I've ever had. Oh my, the breads. Oh my, the wines. I hope you'll enjoy it, even just a fraction of how much I do each time I go home there.

cryscruiser,

Thanks for your knowledgeable assessment of hotels in Lisbon. I caan tell how much you love the city. We will be spending four nights at the Ritz Four Seasons before the Legend crossing in November and are looking forward to it. Even if there are management changes I can't imagine that they will let the quality suffer.

Thought I would post this here.

Restaurants in Lisbon

Bon Appetite 7/07, p. 89

1. Eleven: restauranteleven.com, modern Portuguese

2. Olivier: restaurante-olivier.com, Mediterranean

3. Terreiro do Paco: terreiropaco.com, Portuguese classics

4. Flores Restaurant: bairroaltohotel.com, Portuguese with a little border-hopping

Archived