I'm a little confused...some Seabourn history, please...

Ms. J.

Greetings to all....

I have been cruising around the Seabourn Message board, and since I am taking my first Seabourn cruise in March, 2008 (T/A on the Pride), I'm just a little confused who are some of the more frequent posters on this board.....employees, officials, owners or super-frequent sailors? Where did the triplets come from? I like to know as much as I can about a line. I have a feeling this is going to be my best line, yet. Thanks for the info.... Jini

Ms.J

Cunard use to own Seabourn, but Carnival Corp. merged and the Sea Goddess I and II and the three Seabourn Triplet's were under their umbrella. (The two Goddess's were sold to the original owner's of Seabourn.) A few years ago, Seabourn pulled away from Cunard

(as did Princess and Holland America, etc.) and now Seabourn Cruise Lines is to it's own. We do have two more larger ships being built, as we speak, in Italy. First one will sail in 2009~~second one, in 1010.

As to our CC "Poster's"~~a few from the Blue Lagoon Corp. Office, do post from time to time, but not many. Most VIP'S do read our boards, however. And most Officer's aboard the Triplet's read CC.

The regular poster's here are a really fun, kind/thoughtful and very seasoned group of Seabourn Blue Water Sailor's! All are experienced and have many grrrreat sea tales and saga stories to share.

I have "lurked" on a few other CC boards and have "turned tail" and run home~~~some poster's are rather brash and are not in "tune" with other poster's feelings. Bless our Seabourn board!

Please feel free to ask any/all questions as we were all "new comer's" once~~~;)

Martita B.

Blackie,

Forgot to say~~when Norwegian Cruise line ordered the Royal Viking Queen, Warren Titus was in charge. Then in 1987, Mr. Titus

left NCL~~moved over to Seabourn and they bought the "Queen" to add to their Seabourn fleet of two, The Pride and the Spirit.

It fit into his plan perfectly~~~

Bless Mr. Titus heart~~! I heard he is ill and has not been able to sail the Sister's recently~~~he and his wife use to be aboard quite often.

MB

Ms. J I think you're going to love Seabourn. I've only been on two cruises with them, both to the Caribbean, and I fell in love with them right off the bat.

I cruise as often as I can, which because I'm a working bee, is usually about once a year. Alot of people posting on CC go more often, and I envy them *smile*. You're going to have a wonderful time on Seabourn and welcome to the boards. If you have any other questions, everyone is very helpful here.

Jane :)

Martha, you didn't tell MissJ to wear "plaid"......I have also "lurked" on some of the other boards, especially when I was trying to decide what cruiseline my FIRST ever cruise would be with....some of those people really go for the jugular!! As you may have guessed MissJ, I chose Seabourn, and have 2 more cruises booked....have to start thinking about the third now.....

Howdy Grannylorr,

Happy to see you're back aboard with us here on CC.

Ms J., I believe knows of: BRING PLAID

('suppose we should plan a Pajama Morning Social on the Cross?)

One other 'lit trivia answer is: In the beginning, Seabourn was named "Signet Cruise Lines"~~~an oil company in San Antonio, Texas was named "Signet"~~strongly objected and threatened to sue....the powers changed the name to: Seabourn Cruise Lines!

Happy Weekend!

The only thing I know about Seabourn Cruises is that the Legend was featured in the movie Speed 2: Cruise Control:p I REALLY like that movie

I'm sure their very expensive

There really isn't much about Seabourn that has anything to do with that movie. Certainly not the spirit!

As for expensive, that's truly relative. Happily, a cruise on one of the triplets is one of those special occasions where quality supercedes whatever you spend on it, at least in my opinion. I find that if I break everything down that I might spend on a fairly comparable suite on a mass market ship, I have spent approximately the same price. Yet, I will never find the true pampering, spirit, and genuine care (not to mention the amazing cuisine and incredible service) that guests receive on Seabourn on a Princess, HAL, or Celebrity cruise. As anyone who has cruised the Legend, Pride, or Spirit will tell you, there is nothing like a voyage on Seabourn.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I know the tread is getting old.

Just a little update/correction to the story.

Seabourn had originally the 3rd ship on order.

The Gulf war in 1991 made the cruise industry drop, so Seabourn almost went bankrupt.

I think we sailed with an average of less then 100 Guests onboard.

The owner sold 25% of the shares to Carnival, in order to survive, but could not afford to complete the building of the 3rd sister.

Later, in the end of 1995 the owner sold an additional 25% to Carnival, and they (Carnival and Mr. Brynestad) now bought the 3rd one.

I remember how happy we all were.

The family finally together.

Then some years later Mr. Brynestad, Carnival, and some other business people from Oslo, together purchased Cunard Line from Kvaerner Engineering.

Kvaerner is (or at least was) one of the biggest builders in the maritime industry. They had bought Trafalger House (an English company who owned Cunard), but did not want to run the ships (only build ships).

It was decided to merge Cunard and Seabourn.

We (the shipboard staff) were clearly not happy.

Mr. Brynestad now converted everything into 13% shares of the Cunard/Seabourn combination.

Then Mr. Brynestad sold the shares and purchased the 2 Seagoddes ships (or Seabourn Goddesses).

Now carnival had 100%.

Then we (Seabourn and Cunard) got merged with Princess.

:-(

And finally, yes finally we got separated.

:-)

Sailor

. They had bought Trafalger House (an English company who owned Cunard), but did not want to run the ships (only build ships).

Sailor

Interesting how things have change. :rolleyes: In 86 I was on my second Cunard Countess cruise and met a Cunard bean counter out of NY on his vacation. Back then, the British construction company that owned Cunard LOVE the cruise business for the cash flow. With people paying 60-90 days in advance for their cruise, they had that money to use for a couple months before having to spend it on expensives .

Trafalger house were bough up by their main competitor (Kvaerner Engineering) in Europe.

Cunard Line had not made any significant profit the last 5-6 years prior to the take over.

One of the reasons were the fact that QE2 was "over staffed" with about 120crew members temporarly (the last 5-6 years acually) living in guest cabins.

Sailor

Trafalger house were bough up by their main competitor (Kvaerner Engineering) in Europe.

Cunard Line had not made any significant profit the last 5-6 years prior to the take over.

One of the reasons were the fact that QE2 was "over staffed" with about 120crew members temporarly (the last 5-6 years acually) living in guest cabins.

Sailor

Archived