hiring a driver for the day

tyson

YES we were on the cruise and sorry we did not get info in time to bring you some milk! Gerry did an awesome job driving us around and stopping at the various places we wanted...He is really a sweet man and we loved having him as our driver...I brought him some little gifts for his 3 maybe four year old daughter...We stopped at the grocery store and got drinks and ice for the trip... First stop after driving around the town a few beaches was to The tequila place. It was somewhat interesting but none of us really like tequila so we probably should have skipped that...( 10 $) pp

We did have a drink and chips at Coconuts...so beautiful and then lunch somewhere he suggested (forgot the name) Again very pretty and food was good... ended up at Palamar Beach?? sp??which was just what we wanted ..far away from the crowds of the cruise and plenty of chairs for free. We ordered beer and did a little off beach snorkling...a great day! Again Gerry was awesome and just the perfect host.

We just got back from our Carnival Valor trip and day with Gerry in Cozumel. He is really a great guy! Met us with a big "Gerry" sign around his neck at the taxi area at Puerta Maya pier and told us he'd brought the van rather than his little car since it was very hot and the a/c worked better in the van. No extra charge. We headed to the grocery store to get water and beer, then drove around the north side of the island before heading to the ruins ($6.75 per person). We had been to the Altun Ha ruins the day before in Belize, so were not as impressed as we might have been. Then we went to the Tequila factory- which we loved! Gerry was obviously well-known here and they treated us very nicely. Started off with a great margarita, then our guide Joaquin took us through the process of making tequila and lots of samples!

Next, Gerry drove us to the east side of the island, where we saw Coconuts, but opted not to stop. We did stop at Playa Bonita for a wonderful lunch. My daughter said her shrimp were the best she'd ever eaten. Our margaritas were delicious and very strong, and the view of the ocean was not to be beat! (That's the picture below!)

Next we drove to some other picture spots, before heading back to the ship. We had spent 5 hours with Gerry that absolutely flew by. I cannot recommend this experience enough.

1632154858_CarnivalValorCruise136.jpg.d91a2da22519bfa00f98910fc413bcbd.jpg

Edited by vplsh

YES we were on the cruise and sorry we did not get info in time to bring you some milk! Gerry did an awesome job driving us around and stopping at the various places we wanted...He is really a sweet man and we loved having him as our driver...I brought him some little gifts for his 3 maybe four year old daughter...We stopped at the grocery store and got drinks and ice for the trip... First stop after driving around the town a few beaches was to The tequila place. It was somewhat interesting but none of us really like tequila so we probably should have skipped that...( 10 $) pp

We did have a drink and chips at Coconuts...so beautiful and then lunch somewhere he suggested (forgot the name) Again very pretty and food was good... ended up at Palamar Beach?? sp??which was just what we wanted ..far away from the crowds of the cruise and plenty of chairs for free. We ordered beer and did a little off beach snorkling...a great day! Again Gerry was awesome and just the perfect host.

Oh good, glad you had a great day with him! Did you get to meet his family/daughter?

• 2 weeks later...
We just got back from our Carnival Valor trip and day with Gerry in Cozumel. He is really a great guy! Met us with a big "Gerry" sign around his neck at the taxi area at Puerta Maya pier and told us he'd brought the van rather than his little car since it was very hot and the a/c worked better in the van. No extra charge. We headed to the grocery store to get water and beer, then drove around the north side of the island before heading to the ruins ($6.75 per person). We had been to the Altun Ha ruins the day before in Belize, so were not as impressed as we might have been. Then we went to the Tequila factory- which we loved! Gerry was obviously well-known here and they treated us very nicely. Started off with a great margarita, then our guide Joaquin took us through the process of making tequila and lots of samples!

Next, Gerry drove us to the east side of the island, where we saw Coconuts, but opted not to stop. We did stop at Playa Bonita for a wonderful lunch. My daughter said her shrimp were the best she'd ever eaten. Our margaritas were delicious and very strong, and the view of the ocean was not to be beat! (That's the picture below!)

Next we drove to some other picture spots, before heading back to the ship. We had spent 5 hours with Gerry that absolutely flew by. I cannot recommend this experience enough.

Glad you had a great time.

We LOVE Gerry. I really appreciate Paradise Tom recommending Gerry to us.

We had a fabulous experience as well!!

For all the years we had been going to Cozumel...we had never been to the East side.

We had a blast!!

Hi,

How do you get in touch with Gerry? How many people are typically in his tour? Is his tour primarily driving or do you get to see some things like churches, etc?

Any info on his basic tour would be greatly appreciated

You can get in touch with Gerry through Mike Thompson via comzuemltaxi@hotmail.com.

Gerry's speaking English is very good but he uses Mike to help with written contact and in scheduling bookings. Gerry can handle different size groups and also has another driver Lazaro who is very good. What you do on the tour and how much time you spent is totally up to you. Just say, "Stop I want to take a picture" or I want to get some shells from that beach" and he'll stop!

Just let Mike know when you're coming and how many people in the party and some ideas of where you'd like to go or things you'd like to see. Mike can tell you if Gerry or Lazaro can accomodate you on the dates and give you the rates. Larger parties in vans cost more because Gerry has to rent a van . Gerry and Lazaro's cars re compact to mid size but holds 4 adults comfortably. And at times have used a station wagon.

We just used Gerry last week on our visit to Cozumel, and I'll sum it up by saying: Fantastic!

Gerry was waiting for us at the pier, with all the other taxis. He's easy to find because he holds a sign with your name on it. When we got into his air conditioned (thankfully!!) van, he took us to Mega (a large grocery store) to buy ice and drinks for the day. He supplied us with a cooler!

We did not know what we wanted to see, so he just took us around and showed us some interesting sites. We took a quick tour of the town, and then headed up to see the ruins, and then the eastern side of the island. We stopped for 90 mins or so at a beach and had a swim and did a little snorkeling, then he took us downtown for shopping.

We wanted to buy some Mexican blankets and some silver jewelery, and he took us to some way out of the way spots that had exactly what we were looking for, and at much cheaper prices that at the pier.

It was a great day.

Gerry speaks english very well. He was never hard to understand.

I highly recommend him.

We just used Gerry last week on our visit to Cozumel, and I'll sum it up by saying: Fantastic!

Gerry was waiting for us at the pier, with all the other taxis. He's easy to find because he holds a sign with your name on it. When we got into his air conditioned (thankfully!!) van, he took us to Mega (a large grocery store) to buy ice and drinks for the day. He supplied us with a cooler!

We did not know what we wanted to see, so he just took us around and showed us some interesting sites. We took a quick tour of the town, and then headed up to see the ruins, and then the eastern side of the island. We stopped for 90 mins or so at a beach and had a swim and did a little snorkeling, then he took us downtown for shopping.

We wanted to buy some Mexican blankets and some silver jewelery, and he took us to some way out of the way spots that had exactly what we were looking for, and at much cheaper prices that at the pier.

It was a great day.

I highly recommend him.

Glad you had a great time. Gerry was excellent with us as well. It was so neat to be able to come and go as we pleased instead of being tied to an excursion schedule!!

It was a great day.

I highly recommend him.

I've been to Cozumel several times, but mainly stayed in the area near the pier or a near beach.

I really want to do the bar hop on my upcoming cruise, but I'm also sailing with a newbie.

She wants to shop and sightsee. I really don't know if the bar hop tour gives us time to shop. I just might have to change over to a driver for a day.

Do Gary give info on what suggested stops? I want to see more of the island and both want to see some ruins. We also want to eat somewhere local and shop. We are not really beach people and would want to stop for just photos. Do you think that Gary would suit our needs better??

Also, how far can you book him? Our cruise is not until March 2010. If there are only two of us, will Gary add others with us or just do a private tour??

----------------

Now playing: Brian Culbertson - Fly High (feat. Rahsaan Patterson)

via FoxyTunes

I've been to Cozumel several times, but mainly stayed in the area near the pier or a near beach.

I really want to do the bar hop on my upcoming cruise, but I'm also sailing with a newbie.

She wants to shop and sightsee. I really don't know if the bar hop tour gives us time to shop. I just might have to change over to a driver for a day.

Do Gary give info on what suggested stops? I want to see more of the island and both want to see some ruins. We also want to eat somewhere local and shop. We are not really beach people and would want to stop for just photos. Do you think that Gary would suit our needs better??

Also, how far can you book him? Our cruise is not until March 2010. If there are only two of us, will Gary add others with us or just do a private tour??

----------------

Now playing: Brian Culbertson - Fly High (feat. Rahsaan Patterson)

via FoxyTunes

Airlink,

Gerry may just suit your needs. He'll go where ever you'd like to go. We're doing something similar with him in January. We're going around the island, shelling on the eastern side, having lunch at Playa Bonita (DW's fav East Coast spot) then seeing the lighthouse. Gerry knows several places to go shopping where you'll get better deals than the pier tourist traps. I suggest you email him now to see if he's available. Mike (the person you email) may be able to work with Gerry to help you plan a tour to suit your interests. But you can visit a number of sites and these CC boards between now and March to get some ideas yourself. The key thing is to get Gerry's or Lazaros availability.

One suggestion, if your cruise is heading for better Mayan ruins ports in Belize or Costa Maya, you may want to skip the San Gervasio ruins in Cozumel. They're relatively small and not much to see. Otherwise,they'll take you about 30-45 minutes to walk through.

Thanks!! I e-mailed him the same day that I posted on this thread. I really think that this is the direction to go where both of us will have a great time.

The only port beside Cozumel that we are heading to is Progresso and we are heading to Medina to explore.

----------------

Now playing: Fattburger - The Doctor

via FoxyTunes

Gerry took us to the ruins at San Gervasio on our tour. My daughter and I had been to the ruins at Altun Ha the day before in Belize, and weren't impressed with the San Gervasio ruins in comparison. However, my husband hadn't been with us in Belize and he enjoyed walking around San Gervasio. There is an entrance fee and you can hire a guide to walk around with you, which I recommend. They take your picture and have it ready for you when you leave, for $10. We bought it as it included 2 pictures of the ruins as well- works well in my scrapbook! You can click the link in my signature for pictures.

Gerry was a wonderful guide and we thoroughly enjoyed our day with him. Enjoy!

What's the price of a day with Gerry for 2? We're considering the Bar Hop buss, possibly with some folks from our roll call, but this sounds great if that doesn't pan out.

It's $95 for the first 3 hours and $25 for each hour after that. Definitely worth it!

We had considered the Bar Hop Bus but were the only ship in port so it didn't go. Maybe another time.

But our day with Gerry was definitely the highlight of our cruise.

It's $95 for the first 3 hours and $25 for each hour after that. Definitely worth it!

We had considered the Bar Hop Bus but were the only ship in port so it didn't go. Maybe another time.

But our day with Gerry was definitely the highlight of our cruise.

Thank you! That will definately be our back up plan if the bar hop bus doesn't pan out.

Now if I can just remember where I hid that website that tells you how many ships are in port on which day.....I know it's in my favorites somewhere.:D

Poptart and Charlie,

I think for the price and personal service the deal is too good to pass up. That is his price for the car not per person. He can take 4 in his regular car for that price. So if you find another couple to go you can split it.

My wife and I have him scheduled next week and I will let you know how it goes. Just the 2 of us are going so we are not crowded and we have the final say so on where we go and how long we stay.

Chip

Edited by ChipA

My husband, daughter and I toured with Gerry in July. Because it was so hot, he came for us in the van, not his car, so it was very comfortable. I would highly recommend him- we had been to Cozumel 5 times before and found this to be our best time there. If you want to bar hop, I'm sure he'll take you around the island doing that too!

I e-mailed him again and received a response. My dh and I do not drink. We want to see the other side of Cozumel.

Gerri can take you whereever you want to go. Try Playa Bonita or Chen Rios for shell hunting/gathering and good conch cerviche. You can stop and get the view at Coconuts, but this is primarily a drinking spot so you may not want to linger here. Maybe tour the lighthouse. If you've seen Mayan ruins on other trips or are planning a Mayan ruins tour in another port skip the San Gervasio ruins here. Gerri knows some great shopping places sorta off the beaten tourista path.

Enjoy your cruise:)

HI Fellow cruisers! Our group doesnt really know what to do on Cozumel but would love to get a tour from Geri. How much does he charge hourly for the drive? Our ship arrives @ 11 Am til 8 pm. Maybe we can swing on over to PB to visit Tom too.

Does anyone know a way to arrange with Geri if he is available? ANy help would be appreciated!