Great Stirrup Cay

CruisinCrow

There's not a lot of information about Great Stirrup Cay on this board so I thought I'd share our experience.

We had a very enjoyable day at GSC in April. We were in the 2nd group of tenders leaving the ship so there were plenty of people on the island when we got there, but we had no trouble finding chairs and a couple of hammocks. When we first got off the tender, we headed to the right (the main beach is to the left) where it was quieter and less crowded. We could still hear and enjoy the band playing.

The first thing we did was take a walk to the lighthouse before it got too hot. There is a sign saying "lighthouse 2 miles" but the lighthouse was really only 1 mile away. The 2 miles must mean round trip. Parts of the trail to the lighthouse are rocky so wear walking shoes. There are remains of some military buildings along the way and an old helicopter pad.

Not far past the lighthouse is a beautiful cove area. We did not see a beach there but it was very scenic.

The barbecue lunch was delicious. They served hamburgers, barbecue chicken, potato and pasta salads, fruit and really good banana bread.

Besides the band, there were bars and a fruit smoothie hut, a small straw market, volleyball games and float rentals. A lot of people were snorkeling. There was also an area for massages but it cost $60 for $25 minutes and I never saw anyone getting one.

I can see why this stop gets cancelled frequently because the tenders were really rocking on the trips back and forth. I would not have wanted to go on them in much rougher waters. But I'm really glad that the weather cooperated for us because this was one of our favorite days of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. Do they rent jet skis there? Is the island inhabited by people b/c I heard there is straw markets. Where do those people live if not on the island? Just curious.

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Great Stirrup Cay almost two years ago. I t was a nice beach day!! Yes there are people that live on the island, but not many just some who work on the island. Wear water shoes because there are large rocks in the water. There is a rocky ledge way out in the water so you can go quite a ways out. They have chairs but not loungers with unbrellas set up on the beach. Yhey do have some loungers at the back of the beach but you have to get there early to get one. I did not see jet skis. They do not have parasailing. We enjoyed our stay. I think NCL's island is not as nice as others though nor does it offer as much, however you will enjoy it!!!

I was at Great Stirrup Cay almost two years ago. I t was a nice beach day!! Yes there are people that live on the island, but not many just some who work on the island. Wear water shoes because there are large rocks in the water. There is a rocky ledge way out in the water so you can go quite a ways out. They have chairs but not loungers with unbrellas set up on the beach. Yhey do have some loungers at the back of the beach but you have to get there early to get one. I did not see jet skis. They do not have parasailing. We enjoyed our stay. I think NCL's island is not as nice as others though nor does it offer as much, however you will enjoy it!!!

They did not have any jet skis but they did have parasailing. Maybe that is something new. I think I still have a price list - I'll check when I get home.

When we were in the straw market, we heard a man asking one of the vendors where he lived. He said that he lived on a nearby island with only 700 people. When we were leaving the island, we also saw a tender (not the cruise line's) taking people away towards the south. I don't think anyone lives on Great Stirrup Cay.

Here is the price list from the Jewel Freestyle Daily:

Parasailing (tandem ride) - $79 per person

Tattoos on the beach - from $7.95

Snorkeling equipment rentals - $29 per person

Floats mats and party floats - from $10

Archived