Suite room Dialup Internet Access package on Oosterdam!

lucchese1

I could not find a good thread about the Oosterdams Deluxe Veranda Suite internet access. Is it a port on the desk where you purchase a package of minutes and access it right from your laptop in the convienece of your own room? Is it a standard dial up or maybe faster or slower? Also I have a cell phone dialup card witch I would assume works when close to shore and have a decent cell phone signal and free roaming:cool:.

Thanks in Advance!!

All of the reports that I have read is that the dialup access is really slow. I believe it's just a phone cable plugin to cabin phone, rather than a data cable. The cellphone card should work close to shore, but watch out that it doesn't roll over to the repeater on the ship at $2.59 per minute. the only good feature about the dialup is that you don't buy a package of minutes. You pay for what you use at a lower rate than the package prices. However, at about 25K connection speed, it might work out about the same.

Several people have reported that if you have an SA and are in certain suites very near the Neptune Lounge you can pick up the wireless signal. Someone posted from one of the Vista ships a couple of weeks ago and said he could get a signal, but only if he left the cabin door open. If you are in a Deluxe suite, the best place to go for wireless access IMO is the Netpune. You can find a quite, private spot, sip cappucino and enjoy the great snacks while you hit the net. Ahh, the suite life! :D

- Steve

I agree with Grumpy1 that the room dial-up on the Westerdam was about 20>25K. (It wasn't working at all when I was on the Noordam.) I wouldn't count on it being very useful, and either use the cell phone card when in port, or the Neptune or other wireless hotspot when underway.

I used dialup from my stateroom on the Oosterdam last year, but only to check my email. Even then, it's very slow; however, it's convenient in that you can go online, check your email, go offline and write a message, and then go back online again to send it.

I wouldn't consider it suitable for any kind of casual browsing.

Sab490, are you saying that the neptune lounge has wireless? Does that apply for the Ryndam as well? I haven't seen any info on that on the HAL website. If Neptune does have wireless, I may bring the laptop with me!

I know it is available on the Vista class ships. According to the HAL website wireless is being added fleetwide and they suggest calling ship services to see if it is available yet on a particular ship.

- Steve

If you have a laptop equipped for wi-fi, I believe that all HAL ships now have certain hot spots where you can use that - atrium lobbies, internet cafes, the Neptune Lounge if you have access. And wifi is so much faster; the dial-up is painfully slow and not as reliable IMHO:)

Archived