Accessibility on board the NCL Dawn

Elvyandi

This is my very first posting on here and I could tell by just looking around the site today that I am going to be hooked. I am an individual confined to a motorized wheelchair who also travels with my service dog. I have done many cruises on Royal Caribbean, Carnaval, Celebrity, Holland America, Disney, and way back when prior to Disney blowing it out of the water, Premiere's Big Red Boat :) .

For the very first time I'll be traveling on Norwegian Cruise Line in July,specifically the Norwegian Dawn. I'm confirmed in an obstructed view room. How accessible is the ship? I've learned that accessible can mean different things to different people. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Are there areas that are totally inaccessible by wheelchair? Also, how accessible is their private island? Is it totally soft sand through out or are there any walkways with grass or pavement?

As I mentioned earlier, any and all information would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to responding to other messages that I read on here where I can help others as a result of my experiences.

This is my very first posting on here and I could tell by just looking around the site today that I am going to be hooked. I am an individual confined to a motorized wheelchair who also travels with my service dog. I have done many cruises on Royal Caribbean, Carnaval, Celebrity, Holland America, Disney, and way back when prior to Disney blowing it out of the water, Premiere's Big Red Boat :) .

For the very first time I'll be traveling on Norwegian Cruise Line in July,specifically the Norwegian Dawn. I'm confirmed in an obstructed view room. How accessible is the ship? I've learned that accessible can mean different things to different people. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Are there areas that are totally inaccessible by wheelchair? Also, how accessible is their private island? Is it totally soft sand through out or are there any walkways with grass or pavement?

As I mentioned earlier, any and all information would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to responding to other messages that I read on here where I can help others as a result of my experiences.

I am 41yrs old, in a wheelchair, and was on the Dawn with my wife a yr ago. I found my HC room fit all my needs. The room (deck 10 balcony) had enough room to turn around and the bathroom worked well with a roll in shower. The ship is very accessable, you cannot get onto a few sun decks. On deck 7 (promenade) there are power sliding doors midship to get out on deck, everywhere else they are manual but can be a handfull if you are alone (as I found out when we were in 20ft seas). You will find that to manuever forward or aft you are better of going down to deck 7 or up to deck 12 to avoid carts in the hallways. In the ballroom in the bow there are sections for wheelchairs. The crew will help you on and off since the ramps in port can vary on the pitch. I did not go to GSC since it was rough and I don't allow anyone to lift me and that is the only way you can get on the tender. I loved every minute I was on the DAWN and cannot wait til Feb when I will be going on the GEM. Have a great cruise.

Any other questions please ask

Archived