Destiny, Destiny..is it the ship for me?

idjaffe

We are long time cruisers...and a little picky about our ships!

Tell us about the Destiny - is it in good condition? Can't get a feel for her, seem like she is often overlooked on the boards......

Someone please give us the lowdown......

Been on the Valor and loved it, been on the NCL Pearl - nice but not great.

We are a family of 4 (2 kids 5yrs old each).....we KNOW that Carnival kids club is great....but is this a good ship for kids (Spirit class is not for us since the slide lets out on the stern with nothing around it.....)

Any thoughts would be felpfull...

IDJ

Alot of the information on the Destiny is all held in one main thread: "Attn. Destiny Cruisers, Past and Future." I do believe that's why you don't see 20 threads per day on that ship. I love the Destiny class and actually prefer Carnival to Celebrity personally. Your kids will have alot to do on board, but remember that this cruise is extremely port intensive, so the on board activities really won't be as important since you'll be at a different island almost every day.

I'd read up on the Main thread and see the reviews in the review section of the boards and give it a try.. :) Good Luck!

We were on the last cruise before her last drydock in 2005. We had a wonderful time, great itinery, food, entertainment and service but our kids did not enjoy the camp very much but that may have been because of the boisterous boys that particular week. If the look of the ship matters to you a great deal I would not suggest the Destiny. The Jewel of the Seas may be more of what you are looking for.

We had a great time on board the Destiny. We have a very detailed review/diary and a lot of pictures in our Signature.

I took a peek at your photos. You are the first person I've seen on the boards who has been to Foul Bay. We're getting married on the beach there in January. In all the pictures I've seen, Foul Bay usually looks so deserted. Did you find that to be the case when you visited? That'd be great if it was! :D I'm hoping it's as beautiful in person as it is in pictures. Thank you for sharing! :)

Sonds like a good ship with a great itinerary.....

If you are as picky as us, I would suggest do a search and you will find lots of good and bad about this ship.

Although we have cruised on 10 Carnival cruises. We chose another cruiseline for this itinerary. Good Luck!

We are long time cruisers...and a little picky about our ships!

Tell us about the Destiny - is it in good condition? Can't get a feel for her, seem like she is often overlooked on the boards......

Someone please give us the lowdown......

IDJ

Sailed Destiny three years in a row. She seemed in relatively good shape. Itinerary too port-intensive for us, which is one reason we sailed the Victory last week. Victory was much cleaner. Honestly if you're picky about ships I would recommend something other than Destiny, but we only have one other ship to compare to. Staff was fabulous though.

We sailed the Destiny this past Feb, we loved it. This being our first cruise we have no other ships to compare it to but I have nothing but great things to say about this ship. The crew was great, food was great, ports were great. And I don't know why everyone has such bad things to say about San Juan, we had no problems at all, please tell me why you did not like San Juan.

Ryan

When did you cruise from San Juan and why NEVER again?:confused:

We cruised from San Juan in May of last year. I would never cruise from San Juan again because the locals get last minute deals on this cruise at very very low rates. I am probably one of the most east going, friendly people around and I have never been so angry, annoyed, frustrated, and ... I could go on as I was at the rudeness of these locals on board the ship. They were loud, obnoxious, rude, pushy, .... I have NEVER been around a group of people who were as ignorant of others as these people were. I have said this many times. This cruise is a Latino Cruise to the Southern Caribbean. All music and general atmosphere of the ship is centered around the Latino population of the ship. There was not the typical tropical, Caribbean, island atmosphere associated with cruising at all.

Hey, I would 100% disagree with you on this one. I had no problem with anyone on the ship, including the locals. Acutally, the only people I found to be loud, obnoxious, rude, pushy, etc. would have been a group of about 5 couples from the US. They sat by the pool one day and did the "millenium shot", for over an hour they never stopped yelling and screaming for more drinks and such. But what ever, to each his own. Maybe you just got a bad week or something but I would never turn anyone away from San Juan and would cruise out of there again in a heartbeat.

There are many who love the Destiny, I am not one of them. The itinerary is great, but liked the old one that included Aruba better. If you are picky about your ship I would not advise this cruise. It was the only cruise I couldn't wait to get off the ship!!

We cruised from San Juan in May of last year. I would never cruise from San Juan again because the locals get last minute deals on this cruise at very very low rates. I am probably one of the most east going, friendly people around and I have never been so angry, annoyed, frustrated, and ... I could go on as I was at the rudeness of these locals on board the ship. They were loud, obnoxious, rude, pushy, .... I have NEVER been around a group of people who were as ignorant of others as these people were. I have said this many times. This cruise is a Latino Cruise to the Southern Caribbean. All music and general atmosphere of the ship is centered around the Latino population of the ship. There was not the typical tropical, Caribbean, island atmosphere associated with cruising at all.

I was on her in Feb and I have to say that is not what I experience on her if anything me being a latina I was the minority... the sailing I was on was about 75 % Canadian I didnt hear any spanish music what so ever.... while on the outside decks the only music I remember hearing was reggae and calypso... It must really depend on what time of year you cruise.... or maybe the Destiny is just not for you... I cant wait till cruise her again....

Trust me that If I could get the discounts I always hear about I would cruise a whole lot more.... as the say diffrent strokes for diffrent folks....

To any one who is considering this cruise go for it the ports are absolutely awesome..... And as it has been said many times before a cruise or vacation is what you make it!

I was on her in Feb and I have to say that is not what I experience on her if anything me being a latina I was the minority... I didnt hear any spanish music what so ever....

I had the same experience as you in July, NO Latina music and my DD's were looking forward to some Salsa dancing.

But i have heard from alot of cruisers that lots of people aboard the ship were very rude, All i can go by was my cruise and it was perfect!

Will be over 7 years since we sailed the Destiny and we are looking forward for the return. The reason we have booked this cruise was because of the port-intensive cruise. We love the islands and are not so much on sea days.

The Destiny had the best entertainment of all the cruises we have been on and I'm hoping for the same on the next. The only thing that I would wish would be a daily sushi bar like we had on the Inspiration and Miracle. This would make life good. The next thing I would wish for would be a speciality restaruant. But I'm not too picky now.:p

I've sailed Carnival 11 times so far. Destiny was my ALL TIME LEAST favorite ship. I'd never sail that ship again. When we sailed, the ship was dirty, grafitti on the walls, elevator doors all scratched up, and airconditioning that worked approximately 30% of the time. Hated sailing out of SJ, fellow passengers were the rudest we've ever sailed with.

I've absolutely loved every cruising experience I've ever had, except Destiny.

I had the same experience as you in July, NO Latina music and my DD's were looking forward to some Salsa dancing.

But i have heard from alot of cruisers that lots of people aboard the ship were very rude, All i can go by was my cruise and it was perfect!

Same here!! my cruise was perfect:) I have one complaint.... It felt like that was the shortest week ever!!:D

I've sailed Carnival 11 times so far. Destiny was my ALL TIME LEAST favorite ship. I'd never sail that ship again. When we sailed, the ship was dirty, grafitti on the walls, elevator doors all scratched up, and airconditioning that worked approximately 30% of the time. Hated sailing out of SJ, fellow passengers were the rudest we've ever sailed with.

I've absolutely loved every cruising experience I've ever had, except Destiny.

How long ago did you sail Destiny? Was it before being refurbished?

How long ago did you sail Destiny? Was it before being refurbished?

I sailed Destiny 7 months ago. I'm glad to hear the problems that we experienced have been fixed, and that others have gone on to enjoy their time on the Destiny, but our cruise left such a bad taste in our mouths, that we won't sail her again (and believe me, I'd take ANY opportunity to sail, at any time).

I would never again sail from San Juan as the passengers are the rudest loudest people I've ever been around and I've been on many cruises and have traveled all over the world. As was stated above the locals get the bottom price and then own the ship. The Destiny itself was not that bad but the guests were the pits

Archived