NCL Dine Ashore info?

keeponrolling

Just as a heads up, the "Dine Ashore" program was NOT very good when we were there. There was a decent variety of restaurants, but the restaurants all had "special NCL menus" that included only 2-4 options, so you weren't just able to order anything you wanted when you were using the voucher. In the end, we didn't find it to be a very good deal at all.

The Dine A Shore program is the BEST deal around. How can you beat lunch in Bermuda for only $5.00. Our favorite place to use it is at the Carriage House in St George. You can pick any thing off the menu. Hog Penny in Hamilton is also nice. We have used it at Hog Penny several times. It always amazes me when I seen people turning their vouchers back in. We are looking forward to using our vouchers when we do the Majesty cruise on Sept 30.

Just as a heads up, the "Dine Ashore" program was NOT very good when we were there. There was a decent variety of restaurants, but the restaurants all had "special NCL menus" that included only 2-4 options, so you weren't just able to order anything you wanted when you were using the voucher. In the end, we didn't find it to be a very good deal at all.

When you receive the list of restaurants on board, it will include a sampling of the menus available. Some restaurants limit you to a special menu as mentioned. Others such as the Carriage House let you order whatever you want and apply the voucher value to the bill. The brochure explains if there is a special menu or not. So you can simply browse the brochure and see if the menu is limited to help make a decision to use a particular restaurant. We used the lunch voucher in the Frog and Onion at the dockyard and it was excellent. A salad topped with chicken slices for her and a hamburger for me. The bill came to $42 and the vouchers for both added up to $50, so a $8 tip to round off the credit. That works. Another year we also used the vouchers for lunch at the Pickled Onion on Front St, in Hamilton. Pretty much covered the bill and the food and atmosphere was excellent. They had a cole slaw made with peanuts and pineapples which was very original and delicious. Highly recommended.

Cruissandr loves the Carriage House and you can order anything you want. We would like to try Tom Moore's Tavern, mainly because it is so expensive we could afford it without the vouchers. So again read the brochure first and just pick restaurants that allow you to order anything you want.:)

Are you inquiring about a list of restaurants that are covered? I'm also interested in hearing that.

I am looking a the brochure from 2005 and it should be still representive as the list of restaurants does not change that much. I think from 2004 only one or two changes.

Dockyard: Freeport Seafood Restaurant, Frog and Onion Pub and Pirate's Landing Restaurant, also nearby Salt Rock Grill.

St. George: Carriage House, Griffin's Bar and Pub, White Horse Restaurant

Hamilton: Barracuda Grill, The Beach, Blackbeard's Restaurant, Harley's Restaurant, The Heritage Court, Hog Penny Pub, M. R. Onions Restauant and Pub, The Pickled Onion Restaurant and Bar, Rosa"s Cantina, Tom Moore"s Tavern, Tuscany Restaurant.

Also Blue Point on the South Shore and the Landfall Restaurant near the Aquarium.

This list may not be completely up to date but will give you a good idea of what is available.

I am looking a the brochure from 2005 and it should be still representive as the list of restaurants does not change that much. I think from 2004 only one or two changes.

Dockyard: Freeport Seafood Restaurant, Frog and Onion Pub and Pirate's Landing Restaurant, also nearby Salt Rock Grill.

St. George: Carriage House, Griffin's Bar and Pub, White Horse Restaurant

Hamilton: Barracuda Grill, The Beach, Blackbeard's Restaurant, Harley's Restaurant, The Heritage Court, Hog Penny Pub, M. R. Onions Restauant and Pub, The Pickled Onion Restaurant and Bar, Rosa"s Cantina, Tom Moore"s Tavern, Tuscany Restaurant.

Also Blue Point on the South Shore and the Landfall Restaurant near the Aquarium.

This list may not be completely up to date but will give you a good idea of what is available.

Thank you very much!!

I hope the Dine Ashore Program has not been discontinued on all ships. We're sailing to Bermuda on the Crown.

Did they happen to say why they no longer have the dine ashore program.

I first asked on Tues and was told that they didnt know if they were going to offer it again and to check back before we went ashore on Weds, checked again on Weds and was told it was no longer being offered:(

There was absolutely nothing mentioned about the program from anybody on the ships crew last week at any of the seminars on Bermuda on the ship:mad:

The Swizzle inn was great, my DW swaggered out of there on Thurs. We miss it allready

Just got back from the Majesty Sunday, they don't offer the dine ashore program this year. :mad:

Unreal, that was a selling point for me. Granted a very low selling point. Was going to go even if they didn't have this program. But I was looking forward to trying the Carriage House on the program.

Sounds like eating on the island is very expensive. While I don't mind paying for a good meal I'm not sure I want to spend over $40 for a burger and a salad. Well looks like every meal is back on the ship.

Unreal, that was a selling point for me. Granted a very low selling point. Was going to go even if they didn't have this program. But I was looking forward to trying the Carriage House on the program.

Sounds like eating on the island is very expensive. While I don't mind paying for a good meal I'm not sure I want to spend over $40 for a burger and a salad. Well looks like every meal is back on the ship.

When we went to the Swizzle Inn we had a pitcher of the Rum Swizzles and we also each had a chicken Quesadia (sp) and the bill was $54.00 not including a tip so that was the only meal we ate off the ship

When we went to the Swizzle Inn we had a pitcher of the Rum Swizzles and we also each had a chicken Quesadia (sp) and the bill was $54.00 not including a tip so that was the only meal we ate off the ship

I want to hit the Swizzle Inn also, we are going with another couple. How big was the pitcher of rum swizzle? Sounds like I better bring a crisp $100 bill with me :eek:

The pitcher was about the size of a small water pitcher, it held 7 small glasses of the Bermudian magical potion. :):):)

If I had to guess on the size I would say approx. 20-32 oz.

That sounds about right. I think the cost was about $21 a pitcher. The concoction is very deceptive, it is fresh and citrus tasting not alcaholic at all. Before we realized it our party of four had four pitchers and we were definitely feeling no pain. LOL Jumped on the bus right outside the Inn and back aboard the ship where we had the special NCL drink of the night as a nightcap. Felt fine the next morning too.:) :)

I am so upset that NCL has discontinued this program (if that is in fact the case). I'm hoping that NCL is still in negotiations with the restaurants in BDA and will have the program running when we sail in July.

Yes, it's not cheap to eat in BDA, but it is SO worth it! One of our favorite restaurants is Cafe Gio's in St. George's -- it's not on the dining ashore program, but we go there every time we're in Bermuda. We typically order two entrees and share (it's an italian restaurant); we can usually keep our bill at around $100 for the two of us, including drinks and tips. Considering it's BDA, we don't think that's bad at all.

It really will be terrible if NCL discontinues this program. We've used it at the Pickled Onion (limited dinner menu, but still great, the balcony seats over Front Street at night are fabulous) and Tom Moore's Tavern, which, as Writeratsea has mentioned, is mighty -even prohibitively- expensive otherwise. Bummer.

David

PS. Peggy, we'll have to look into Cafe Gio...

I am so upset that NCL has discontinued this program (if that is in fact the case). I'm hoping that NCL is still in negotiations with the restaurants in BDA and will have the program running when we sail in July.

Yes, it's not cheap to eat in BDA, but it is SO worth it! One of our favorite restaurants is Cafe Gio's in St. George's -- it's not on the dining ashore program, but we go there every time we're in Bermuda. We typically order two entrees and share (it's an italian restaurant); we can usually keep our bill at around $100 for the two of us, including drinks and tips. Considering it's BDA, we don't think that's bad at all.

Had luch last year at Cafe Gio and it was awesome! Highly recommend

We corralled (sp?) Rich & Loretta into the QM2 weekend, and no year can be complete without Bermuda. Didn't learn our lesson last year about hurricane season, obviously! When are you sailing in Sept?...Best, David

Hi David:

I'm sure you'll all have a great time on the QM2 -- I see Snorklin' Barb and her DH are also on that cruise! When are you going to Bermuda?

We're on the Majesty on 7/22 (for our 30th wedding anniversary :D ). We're considering booking the Noordam on 10/31 out of NYC. We really like the looks of this ship, small like the Spirit (which we absolutely loved), covered pool area so we can enjoy that space no matter what the weather is, nice sized cabins, not many restaurants to choose from like the bigger NCL ships, though; so far I've been pleased with answers I'm getting about this ship and HAL in general. They also provide motor coach service from our area, so no driving to the port!!

We wanted to sail the Gem on 2/6 but the prices are outrageous. Our other option is to hop on the Majesty's last sailing to Bermuda from Boston at the end of September, and do the Noordam in February. Prices on the Noordam are about the same for either sailing, and we'll get an aft veranda stateroom that we've always wanted to try! We're trying to talk some friends into joining us on the Noordam (really hate defecting from NCL, but the prices are driving us away), so hopefully we'll have a nice group!

We have friends leaving on the Majesty today; hopefully they'll have good news about the dining ashore program...:cool:

Archived