Things to Bring

mkfan87

Ok so we're going on our first cruise at the end of August to Alsaka and I want it to be the best experience. My question: what are some things that you should bring? I'm talking about big things or the little things that most people will forget. I want to start a list so it could also help other first timers. I'll start it off from what I know.

1. Light night if your in an inside cabin

2. Water bottles

3. Highlighter

Lanyard to hold seapass card and room key; air freshener for the bathroom; over the door or hanging shoe holder to hold toiletries; corkscrew (our TA had wine waiting for us in the stateroom and the complimentary corkscrew wasn't very strong); lighted travel alarm clock (it is hard to know what time it is in an inside cabin); first aid or cold remedy items.

Have a great cruise!!

Insulated mugs- one for coffee and another for ice and juice or ice tea. THe glasses they give you on a cruise ship are very small. If you dont have your own you will be making lots of trips. With an insulated mug you will be the envy of a lot of people.

I also take post its and a pen. I dont see the cabin steward very often and I dont like calling him coz I know how busy they are...so I leave a note of what I want. (ice, robes, extra pillows...etc.etc.

Baggies to pack a lunch if the port allows it. But i pack some goodies on the last day to take with me on the plane ride home. Ever price air port foods?

Just the necessities. For everyone, that can mean a different thing. Pare down to what you think you will not be able to live without for a week. The ships are quite civilised, you will be able to purchase most items onboard or on shore if you absolutely must have some thing. I pack all my own toiletries since I don't like surprises. An extra pair of glasses or contacts, I have lost a contact lens down the drain before. Enough underwear for the week, so you don't have to duck through wet laundry in the miniscule bathroom. Advil and Excedrin pm are a must for us, seasickness meds and a very small emergency med kit.

We are a family of 4 sharing a cabin this next cruise, so we will be taking an over-the-door shoe holder. This is placed on the outside of the bathroom door, to hold odds and ends that would normally clutter the counter tops of the cabin. Not an issue if there are only 2 in a cabin, but more than that, you have chaos in these tiny spaces.

No matter how much we plan our budget, we always run out of $$, so take a lot more than you think you need.

It's been said many times before, but the most important thing to bring along is your sense of humor and a generous dose of patience. Pair it up with a comfortable pair of shoes, since you will have to stand in lines.

Baggies to pack a lunch if the port allows it. But i pack some goodies on the last day to take with me on the plane ride home.

Passengers aren't allowed to bring fruits or vegetables off of the ship. I believe that rule is primarily to help prevent the spread of fruitflies, but I'm not positive.

Definitely bring some first-aid supplies. I fell in St. Maarten on our last cruise and really mangled my knee-- the purser's desk gave me large-sized band-aids, but the ship didn't sell anti-bacterial ointment, and I was really worried about infection. Luckily, some new friends we made onboard had some. If I'd had to go to the ship's doctor, it would have cost waaay too much $$!

If the Port allows it- Some of the ports do allow it. I know St Thomas is one that dont allow any food off at all. It will state on the Capers if its allowed or not. I thought it sad at the amount of food sitting on the tables as we disembarked in St Thomas. (It was mention in the capers= I guess people dont pay attention)

As previously mentioned first aid kit w/most of the remedies you may anticipate requiring:

bandaids

antibiotic ointment

sunburn relief lotion

sunscreen

imodium

pepto bismol/zantac/tums

antihistamine/decongestant

bonamine/meclizine

acetominophen/ibuprofen

benadryl antihistamine cream

q-tips

While you may be able to get SOME of this on the ship or in ports - you may not have what you need when required - so best to bring it with you. :cool:

Also have the recommended: duct tape, mug, night light, travel clock, hanging shoe organizer, post its, lanyard, highlighters, clothespins, ....did I forget anything? :D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. They're really helpful. I was also wondering what electric converter thing or whatever it is do you need on the Spirit?

I was wondering about this too... Is one necessary at all, or only if more than 1 outlet is needed?... :confused:

Ships have the 120 outlets. no converter is needed. (unless you have three prongs then bring one of those adapters....but I never needed one.

I'm sorry for not being specific, but I meant on the NCL Spirit. Since it recently came over from the Asian market, it didn't fully get converted yet from what I gathered on the NCL boards. I guess I might ask again on there...

I don't know how relevant this is to most of you but part of my list of not-so-usual-things to take is a dictaphone with extra batteries. I plan one writing a fairly detailed review of my first ever cruise and I know I'll probably forget some things. I don't want to do a whole lot of writing and note taking so I figured I would just talk it all into my dictaphone during quiet cabin times!

• 3 weeks later...
Ok so we're going on our first cruise at the end of August to Alsaka and I want it to be the best experience. My question: what are some things that you should bring? I'm talking about big things or the little things that most people will forget. I want to start a list so it could also help other first timers. I'll start it off from what I know.

1. Light night if your in an inside cabin

2. Water bottles

3. Highlighter

You don't need a nightlight - it's not that dark

Water bottles? Just something extra you have to carry.

Don't go overboard with packing. It's a ship, not a deserted island. I totally overpacked due to these boards! Only 2 things I packed that I didn't previously know about was my alarm clock and a power strip.

Due to the tight space in showers and no place to set anything, I have a 5 pocket mesh bag to hold shampoo, conditioner, soap, razor and shaving cream. At the end of mesh bag, is two loops to hang your washcloth. You can hang this from the shower head or the shower curtain rod or shower door, as it comes with 2 hanging attachments. I bought mine at Kmart. When cruise is over, just laundry and place back into luggage waiting for next cruise.

Of course the standard over the door shoe holder and the closet sweater organizer (that folds up accordian style) to give you extra shelf space. Makes for keeping the cabin neater.

Have a wonderful cruise.

God Bless...

~Kathi~

Cruising Caribbean Princess 9/25/04 ~~~:cool: ~~~:cool:

Archived