Time at Mendenhall

candlelady

Our itinerary says we will "tender" at 9:00, May 21st in Juneau. We have a whale watching tour scheduled for 1:15 (meet at the dock). We leave at 8:00 p.m. My questions is, do we have plenty of time before the whale watching tour to go to Mendenhall Glacier and get back to grab some lunch before the whale watching tour or would you wait till after the whale watching tour to go? I know it depends on how much time you want to spend walking around but what is a good amount of time to allow at Mendenhall and feel that you've seen it? We might also plan to go on the tram. Thanks

Is your whale watching through the ship or independent? Many independent operators will pick you up or drop you off at Mendenhall, saving you about 1 hour in transit time backtracking.

If you only want to see the glacier and do no hiking except the photo trail to take a photo, 1 hour there is enough (plus the time to get there and back). If you want to go into the visitor center (a good film), plan a bit more. If you want to go hiking a bit, plan an extra 1-2 hours or more depending on how much hiking you want to do.

John

If you are with an independent vender, arrange for pick up at Mendenhall. You really don't want to add an hour for shuttling back and forth in my opinion. You essentially have time for Mendenhall before or after your whale watch, so go where you have the time preference. If you go after, you have time for a nice lunch in downtown Juneau. If before, perhaps pack some heavy duty snacks or purchase a bag lunch from downtown and eat it at Mendenhall. :)

We are being taken to Mendenhall before noon by Orca - What's near the piers to get a lunch to take with us? Sounds like a good idea since we won't be back to town til almost dinner time.

How much before noon?? If close, you can get a lunch at Twisted Fish, almost across the street from Orca Enterprises. I would take anything you need to eat hot with you, but there should be sandwich options around the area.

Orca Enterprises can also probably recommend someplace for take out??

Archived