What should we NOT miss in San Juan??

SheilaSailAway

Hi Sheila....

My best advice is to look through these threads to determine what types of attractions your family actually likes to participate in and what types of foods you enjoy, etc. Then we can give you a little better information on what you might try to make your stay in San Juan more enjoyable. Everyone here is eager to help; the more information the better to help you out though :)

If you like history, do a walking tour of Old San Juan with stops at El Morro and Fort San Cristobal. If you like nature, take an excursion to the rainforest, El Yunque. If you like the beach, go to Luquillo Beach. We're planning on eating at Barrichina's (the home of the pina colada) and The Parrot Club.

If you like history, do a walking tour of Old San Juan with stops at El Morro and Fort San Cristobal. If you like nature, take an excursion to the rainforest, El Yunque. If you like the beach, go to Luquillo Beach. We're planning on eating at Barrichina's (the home of the pina colada) and The Parrot Club.

Awesome! Thanks for being so helpful!:)

For me (first time to San Juan) it was San Juan that was the "thing". We stayed 3 days precruise and mostly stayed in Old San Juan (15 square blocks) and explored all over.... really neat area. The forts, the plazas and walkway along the harbor, the shops :D and some real puerto rican food ;) Next time we will venture out to the rainforest and beyond.

I second the bookstore !!! I bought Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call and have now used it for 2 cruises..... tons and tons of info on all the ports of the Caribbean from a cruisers perspective (limited time in port).

For me (first time to San Juan) it was San Juan that was the "thing". We stayed 3 days precruise and mostly stayed in Old San Juan (15 square blocks) and explored all over.... really neat area. The forts, the plazas and walkway along the harbor, the shops :D and some real puerto rican food ;) Next time we will venture out to the rainforest and beyond.

I second the bookstore !!! I bought Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call and have now used it for 2 cruises..... tons and tons of info on all the ports of the Caribbean from a cruisers perspective (limited time in port).

Thanks! I just got the book, very informative indeed! Walking along the harbor sounds great (and the shops too!) I can't wait to try some real PR food! We are very excited to go. DH and I are looking to fly to PR for our cruise(Adventure of the Seas) next year, it will be nice to have the short preview (port of call this Sept) in a few months.

I can name a slew of bars in town, but it really comes down to personal taste. A few places claim to have invented the Pina Colada, but that is always a debatable point.

There are so many bars that you trip across in the town that I think the best advice I can give you is to have fun roaming. Find one off the cobblestone street that looks interesting and stop for a drink. Then continue on for another if you wish.

There are a couple of "hot spots" on Forteleza street and San Sebastian street where a cluster of bars create a hang out scene.

Re: question on bars....... we hit two in one night while there......

Nuyorican Cafe: Neat little place down a large alley (well lit and full of people) but they had jazz band that night and a cover so we didnt stay.

Rumba Club: Small "hole-in-the-wall" kinda place. If you have ever seen Dirty Dancing - Havana Nights = this is where it was filmed. Lots of locals go here to dance salsa and they had an awesome 6 piece salsa band the night we were there...... no cover charge and stiff drinks :D Had a blast.

we took a tour last year and had a great time, we walked by the fort, cathedral, walls, the old convento church and even stopped for a complimentary drink at Don Q with countrysidetours @ yahoo.com

By the way we ended having lunch at Raices restaurant.. Great place

piña coladas were served on a coconot shell and water in a tin can.

Archived