Smoking Policy?

its_my_dime

We are considering, among other alternatives, a possible return to Seabourn early next year.

What is the current OFFICIAL smoking policy on the ship? Cabins? deck? dining areas (inside and outside)?, public areas?

Not, please, people's experience with smokers or smoking on any particular voyage but rather, what is the policy of the line itself which would most likely reflect the worst case scenario if there were many smokers on board when we chose to sail.

Thank you.

We are considering, among other alternatives, a possible return to Seabourn early next year.

What is the current OFFICIAL smoking policy on the ship? Cabins? deck? dining areas (inside and outside)?, public areas?

Not, please, people's experience with smokers or smoking on any particular voyage but rather, what is the policy of the line itself which would most likely reflect the worst case scenario if there were many smokers on board when we chose to sail.

Thank you.

You should call Seabourn direct and ask for it in writing and take that with you should you decide to book since this seems to be a very important issue to you.

Q: What is the smoking policy onboard?

A: For the comfort and convenience of all guests, we ask guests to refrain from smoking:

• In the Restaurant, Veranda Café and Restaurant “2” (inside and outside)
  • In the main show Lounge during performances and lectures.
  • On the starboard side (right side facing forward) in the Observation Lounge, The Club and the main show lounge.
  • In the ship’s elevators.

In addition, we ask that guests refrain from smoking pipes and cigars anywhere inside the ship, including in guest suites. After dinner, an area of the Sky Bar is set aside for this pastime.

• 3 months later...
...In addition, we ask that guests refrain from smoking pipes and cigars anywhere inside the ship, including in guest suites.

Since balconies are often part of guest suites, I am hoping this means no cigar smoking inside the railing that constitutes a portion of the guest suite booked, not merely "indoors"?

I have had quite enough of wretched cigar smoke on balconies.

Since balconies are often part of guest suites, I am hoping this means no cigar smoking inside the railing that constitutes a portion of the guest suite booked, not merely "indoors"?

I have had quite enough of wretched cigar smoke on balconies.

Hate to burst your bubble...as I rarely find a fault with our wonderful SB...and...having said that...do not think it is Seabourn......when we have had the French Balconies...and cigar smokers next door...yup...we get it! Lola

I don't usually like to get involved with this issue as it's so devisive, but having cancelled our entire line up on Regent for 2008, because they have instituted their now infamous smoking regulations, I would like to add my 2 cents worth. Seabourns policy is, I believe,a model of how this issue should be handled. As a smoker I try very hard not to allow my second hand smoke to bother others. I therefore retire to my suite so as not to annoy fellow passengers. If I have a balcony (french doors on Seabourn), I make certain that there is no one on their balcony next door before I entertain the notion of sitting outside. I truly feel I can do no more for my fellow travelers. Can't we all try to get along and make this a non-issue on Seabourn? As far as I can tell most guests are very considerate of each other. On our last cruise on the Legend every one seemed quite happy and if they were non-smokers, they just sat in the non smoking section and smokers stayed in their corner. Yes our little corner of the world, where we are now used to being. I guess the cruislines could just tow us along in a seperate boat and then maybe everyone would be happy.

Just my thoughts

Howard

Dear Howard,

First of all I'm a non smoker. But I have smoked in the past. Unlike some other non smokers who smoked before, I DO understand that people who smoke would like to smoke and I don't mind as long as it does not bother me TOO much. On Seabourn ships I don't like it when I'm on a sun bed enjoying my book if somebody next to me starts a huge cigar and will smoke it for about an hour! I'm supposed to get some fresh sea air! Also sitting at the Sky Bar on one of the stools there, you sit very close together and if a cigar is smoked there, everybody has to inhale the strong smoke of that cigar. And a cigar lasts so very long!

I would like to hear other opinions about this particular issue.

Marja

As a non smoker I have to commend Howard on his consideration to those of us who do not smoke. I don't think there is a simple answer to this issue because smoking is part of adults lifestyle. I have found that at times if the smoke is too bad I just leave.

Seabourn appears to have handled this issue as best it can without banning smoking at all. There are times at tea when the smoking would be bothersome and I would just leave. Most of the time it wasn't that bad.

A few years ago in the dining room, after desert and coffee the Maitre'D or the Sommelier would mingle thru' the tables and offer the gentlemen fine cigar's from the beautiful wooden humidor~~also would invite them join others for after dinner drinks and cigars "topside." I've not seen this in awhile~~also before dinner a waiter would pass the "menu glasses" for those needing reading glasses.

Times are changing for all of us~~some things good, some things not so good. (what happened to our soft padded satin sweater hangers and our small spa robes?)

I think Seabourn Guests are mostly considerate of their fellow shipmates. I've seen only a few that are not~~but then, they are probably not very considerate of others at home.

Smooth seas and safe harbors:p

MB

."also before dinner a waiter would pass the "menu glasses" for those needing reading glasses.

MB

We are of an age where we still believe we do not need glasses, until the menus arrive, which is when the Seabourn Glasses arrive at our table, so the glasses are still there for anyone who needs them or thinks they don't:D . We don't need the cigars though!

Kathryn

I am terribly sorry, but I thought this was a general smoking situation. If this is about cigar smoking then I couldn't agree more. Cigar smoke is, I'm afraid to say, rather strong and most definitely should be restricted to either a cigar lounge or up on an open deck, away from other guests. The same goes for pipes. I believe no cruiselines allow cigar smoking in cabins or balconies. Check this lines polocies and you'll see it covers this situation.

Howard

Kathryn,

As I've left several pairs of "evening" reading glasses on the dining tables I've contributed to the wooden case of collective menu glasses! In fact, I've selected a couple to borrow at times!:confused:

Having the wooden box certainly comes in handy when you forget yours!;)

MB

>" Usually the gentlemen smoke their cigars in the late afternoons and in the evenings."

Unfortunately, Martha, I have experienced more cigar smoking in the Constellation lounge in the morning (before and during Trivia!) and at the Sky Bar before and during the luncheon time. I assume the 'gentlemen' are more respectful than some of the others.

In 55 days I don't remember being bothered by anyone smoking at all. I am like Marja a "reformed ex smoker" but unless I am in a very small enclosed area, other people smoking doesn't particularly bother me.

I think Howard has come up with a good solution though....tow the smokers behind in another boat!! The new bigger ships, could each tow one of the triplets.....save fuel, carry more passengers each sailing without overcrowding, etc etc!

I hope the smokers on our cruise are as considerate as Howard. Sadly, many of the landlubbing smokers in our neck of the woods are not.

This is definitely not an easy issue for a cruise line to administer. As a non-smoker, I find the smell of second hand smoke interferes with the taste and enjoyment of anything I am trying to eat or drink. In a cocktails only environment, I am not as concerned. But my sense of smell is super-sensitive (probably because my vision is horrid), so now I am worried that I will pick up on the smell from parts unknown.

I do know how important it is for smokers to have that cigarette at certain times of the day. My Mom was very much addicted and could not give them up, although she, too, was a very thoughtful smoker.

My partner enjoys smoking. I on the other hand have an allergy and get quite stuffed up or worse. She would never smoke in the room. Where can she go to enjoy this nasty habit?

I had never given any thought to this before now. Are there areas I should always avoid?

Just got off the Legend this morning and will write a full review shortly (I hope). The smoking areas in the Club have been greatly reduced (the smoking area of the Midnight Sun [AKA Observation] Lounge is now actually larger). I will also say the only place I saw folks smoking cigars was around the Sky Bar.

I smoke a bit, maybe four or five cigarettes a day: and try my best to be discreet with the smoke as not to bother others.

What seriously bothers me is perfume. I have, perhaps, too good a sense of smell; and I really dislike my steak scented with Chanel Chance or Bacon and Eggs ála Giorgio. A little scent is wonderful but Ladies! I would SO like a restrained hand!

Lane (still exploring Seabourne)

Dear Trubey,

I think this is the first post you make on Seabourn.

This is really the first time I see somebody mention anything about perfume! And of course you are entitled to do so. But as a smoker? Then I would have my doubts. Do you use after shave or something like it?

Otherwise, being a smoker you should better use a mouth spray. I do like my "scent of a woman". I try to not "overdo it", but being dark haired, you kind of need a quite strong eau de toilette.

We just need to compromise I think.

No, Nail, I had one earlier post. I have not been on a Seabourn cruise, though I am investigating the possibility.

As I said, I smoke very little, and then in my own company with an eye not to annoy non-smokers. I do not wear After-Shave or Cologne.

You're right! A compromise position would suit me fine. I think perfume should be a subtle, personal thing worn to enhance, not something to broadcast over an entire room.

Lane

Archived