new mailing - misleading to me - how about you?

renata102

Just received a tri fold post card from Princess advertising the "Balcony Bonanza". "Balcony Upgrades" It was a "Balcony Blowout" valid for 7 or 9 night cruise to the Carribaen or Mexican Riveria to travel between June and August 2007. Well I just booked a 9 night cruise to Caribbean and when called to inquire about it through my TA and even with a "conference call" with a Princess Rep, I was told that its only valid if you book a balcony and upgrade to a higher balcony.

I personally felt like it was misleading, because it doesn't state it there. I wanted to upgrade from an obstructed ocean view to balcony and told I cannot. It doesn't state that anywhere. I called and complained to my TA and her supervisor and Princess and their Supervisor.

Can someone help me understand this? Am I the only one felt misled? Have you seen this postcard in the mail recently? Tell me how you interpreted it. I am still confused and wonder if this is Princess's way of reeling you in.:confused:

OK you had me curious, so I went out to get my mail that I left on the car seat today.

The fine print on mine reads: Free Balcony upgrades apply to an upgrade from Oceanview category EE to Balcony cabin BF for select sailings only on a space available basis at time of booking.

They cover themselves complete with that small print.

I normally just toss these out as there is so much fine print in the offers, you really have to read them cover to cover with a magnifying glass.

OK you had me curious, so I went out to get my mail that I left on the car seat today.

The fine print on mine reads: Free Balcony upgrades apply to an upgrade from Oceanview category EE to Balcony cabin BF for select sailings only on a space available basis at time of booking.

They cover themselves complete with that small print.

Now I have to double check my ocean view cat. And yes I did book it several weeks ago.

Again, I am not used to Princess cat and promotions. I wish they would have explained that to me while on the phone with my TA and Princess....:rolleyes:

With booking an obstructed view as you did, that would not allow you to use this offer. Unobstructed outside cabins start with EE category and go up. so you must have booked below that.

Sorry you weren't able to take advantage of this, you might consider switching to the higher EE category and then it might be possible.

BTW, the Princess Rep did feel that if your not a seasoned cruiser, it can sound "different". BTW I wasn't asking for anything more... I took it as they told me. Just curious to what you guys think (if you have this promotional add)

It didn't confuse me at all, but then, I am used to all this finel print. They really do usually stick to their guns about these promotions so you have to read every word of them to find out if you might be elegible.

Again, sorry about the confusion. :(

The mailings have to be interpreted correctly. The EE Oceanview prices have to be "Princess" prices! The best way to interpret these mailings is to actually use the "balcony" prices shown in the mailing and compare THAT price with what one can get on-line or through your TA. If the mailing balcony price is acceptable then book a "guarantee" for the mailing balcony category. Because many will book that category, anywhere from 1 to max balcony upgrade category can be expected when cabins are assigned. We have used the mailing prices before and one of our current balcony guarantee booking (through our TA) uses the mailing promo code. /Sultan

There's usually a lot of fine print in these promotion mailings. I remember calling up the 800 # to inquire about something I read in the Captains Circle magazine about an upcoming cruise we had. I even told them which issue and which pages the offer was listed on (twice). I finally got a letter (after two letters and two emails) that indicated the offer was filled (even though there wasn't any fine print that mentioned this -- they probably accidentally omitted it before printing). But I ended up getting a bottle of wine (instead of the mentioned champagne) and coupon for photo.

A major problem with these promotions and brochures is that Princess sends out many of them and to various different mailing lists. So they can't even keep them straight. Maybe they should concentrate on just a few different ones and make sure all the info is easily readable and clear.

Hi fellow Garden Stater :cool: ,

We as cruisers do not have many rights. Well we still have the right to pay them for the cruises..

I as well got that in the US Mail and called about it.. The people in California were quite lame IMHO..they said I had already gotten an upgrade.. HUH.. well they are the ones which have/had the 2 for 1 sales where that price was much higher then the regular prices.. so in effect it was a come on!:mad:

But it sure pulled in the bookings ..didnt it for them ..?;)

Cruise Lines have a staff of attorneys on retainer and in there employ to make it in the firms best and legal interest.

We as consumers have to watch every turn, word and period to make sure it is what we want too.

Consumers do not have a Guild and/or Union to protect us all. Maybe soon with the volumes of people cruising and vessels afloat..WWWWwwWwWw

What everyone should do is contact there County and State Attorney Generals Offices when situations as this arrive. The US Postal Inspectors (Newark) and FTC in Washington, D.C. too.

I even booked recently because of this, a low matching price and an OBC.

Yet the OBC they say now from the T/A is not available..

I am glad I do keep records in recordings/DATA and print so as they can not say ..oh I never said that...

It is a shame business is going this way and not by what I practice still. My word is my bond. Call it old fashioned but thats me.

The Network TV and Radio stations would love to hear about this ..malarky..and the malarky mail...

Just received a tri fold post card from Princess advertising the "Balcony Bonanza". "Balcony Upgrades" It was a "Balcony Blowout" valid for 7 or 9 night cruise to the Carribaen or Mexican Riveria to travel between June and August 2007. Well I just booked a 9 night cruise to Caribbean and when called to inquire about it through my TA and even with a "conference call" with a Princess Rep, I was told that its only valid if you book a balcony and upgrade to a higher balcony.

I personally felt like it was misleading, because it doesn't state it there. I wanted to upgrade from an obstructed ocean view to balcony and told I cannot. It doesn't state that anywhere. I called and complained to my TA and her supervisor and Princess and their Supervisor.

Can someone help me understand this? Am I the only one felt misled? Have you seen this postcard in the mail recently? Tell me how you interpreted it. I am still confused and wonder if this is Princess's way of reeling you in.:confused:

What everyone should do is contact there County and State Attorney Generals Offices when situations as this arrive. The US Postal Inspectors (Newark) and FTC in Washington, D.C. too.

OK, now you have me a bit confused. Why would you contact all those agencys when this promotion states exactly what it is good for and it's limits? (It is sitting right in front of me, and although there is fine print, it explains it completely) As any other offer from any company, you need to read all the fine print before you try to accept it.

OK, now you have me a bit confused. Why would you contact all those agencys when this promotion states exactly what it is good for and it's limits? (It is sitting right in front of me, and although there is fine print, it explains it completely) As any other offer from any company, you need to read all the fine print before you try to accept it.

...because some people love a good rant?:rolleyes:

No different from the "fine print" insert ads in the newspaper -- which often go as follows:

MSRP = $1000

Previously offered at $600

Recently offered at $250

Now sale price $240

Limited to quantities on hand

(does not say left hand or right hand)

Aw come on -- where do you guys live -- on

the new planet discovered last week?

/Sultan

P.S. The 2 for 1 ads always refer to the brochure price.

Almost all cruise ads that I have seen have a promo code.

Hi fellow Garden Stater :cool: ,

I as well got that in the US Mail and called about it.. The people in California were quite lame IMHO..they said I had already gotten an upgrade.. HUH.. well they are the ones which have/had the 2 for 1 sales where that price was much higher then the regular prices.. so in effect it was a come on!:mad:

Also, is it me or do they send tons of mail? Send me something good to read instead of the same misleading junk all the time.

We get three to four mailings from Princess EVERY WEEK! I wish they would save themselves the postage and send one offer a month for these specials. I actually don't even look at most of them. :eek:

This was of great interest in this house a few days ago--John called to see when he could sail w/balcony room for Mexican Riviera--good for us--live 10 minutes away--kept getting told no such thing--he played with this a good bit of time--we have thrown our away--look carefully on the front page--you will see a faint white line--that's to show you that the bottom is not talking about balcony rooms

After sometime--he got to speak to a Supervisor who had never seen this promo and was very embarassed--

What he was told was that the whole broshure is NOT about balcony rooms--read the fine print and you can find it.

He had told them--don't care where the balcony is or WHEN it is--I'll go--sorry can't do that!!

This is like trying to use FF miles to Aruba--and finally saying I'll go whenever you have availability--and being told--NONE THIS YEAR

He's much better at this than I am--guess it's the attorney in him coming out!!!

Nancy:D

As any other offer from any company, you need to read all the fine print before you try to accept it.

So why are all the important details in "fine print"?..I am not so naive to believe it's not done for a purpose...And I don't accept the excuse that everyone does it...I don't think "misleading" is too harsh a term in referring to advertising in the travel industry.

So why are all the important details in "fine print"?..I am not so naive to believe it's not done for a purpose...And I don't accept the excuse that everyone does it...I don't think "misleading" is too harsh a term in referring to advertising in the travel industry.

Why are ANY details in fine print? Lease a car, buy a large appliance with a warranty, book travel. Even airlines have fine print these days.

You read an offer completely, before trying to take advantage of it. If you miss the fine print, you have nobody to blame but yourself. IMHO!

Think of all the come on ads for cruises. This sailing can be had for as little as $299. Of coarse, that usually doesn't include port charges, transportation to the port or taxes. This addition is always in fine print. It is just the way the world works today.

The 2 for 1 sale an perfect example.

My wife went into the A&P store (GAP:NYSE) in our Borough and saw the 2 for 1 sale in there flyer and on signage and shelf talkers in the store as well..

She asked a woman what is the price for which the woman responded..with a snarl.. DONT YOU KNOW ITS 2 for 1!...

My wife asked then well whats the price...? The woman looked in awe and after a long ...pause..said she didnt know..:rolleyes:

The consumer needs more than fine print in written ads too ...IMHO as our population ages and eyesight slackens ( a normalcy) with age increasing.

Should the Fine Print be large enough to be read well?

Isn't that reason enough to contact your Highly Paid and very well compensated with Health Life, Retirement and Insurance Policies Elected Officials..

Who pays for your plans?:mad:

Just think how high taxes would have to go to do that??

again as most of you are seasoned cruisers (and most with Princess) it is clear to you. I did read the fine print and I PERSONALLY felt mislead. My interpretation may be different than yours. PLus I don't know all the lingo and brochure prices and know that a 2 for 1 really is not a deal. That is because you have learned that lesson (the easy way or the hard way). I just feel that you send this AMAZING postcard out, gets me happy and find that no one qualifies unless you book a balcony. Where did it state that? Ohhh what a promotion book a balcony get another balcony. WOW what a blow out and a bonanza....... wooo hoooo. Spare me the BS. Offer a deal, be clear or don't send it out to me. Well, it always works becuase they will find some poor new cruiser that they think they are getting a deal of a lifetime. Come to find out they really did not. That is MISLEADING! I am going on my 5th cruies and I have just started to find out this BS several cruises ago. RCCL i felt was pretty clear. They offered a discount on certain cabin PERIOD. no blowouts or bonanzas. So when I saw this postcard I was moved to really partake in this bonanza.

Anyway, that is how it is.

My mailing doesn't say anything about booking a balcony to get a higher balcony, just that you had to book at least an EE category, which is an ocean view (without opstucted view). Now you have me wondering again??

This is now to support how you felt -- especially the 2 fer 1. I was taken in when we booked the first cruise and then saw that promotion. What a waste of time it was to argue that the ad was nothing but a "swindle". And to make it even worse now, the brochure itself lists the EBD (Early Booking Discount) prices and in fine print at the bottom on the brochure it says that $900+ discount FROM the "brochure price" is already included in the price shown. Now I know to go immediately with the bottom line question -- how much will I have to pay for such and such? /Sultan

again as most of you are seasoned cruisers (and most with Princess) it is clear to you. I did read the fine print and I PERSONALLY felt mislead. My interpretation may be different than yours. PLus I don't know all the lingo and brochure prices and know that a 2 for 1 really is not a deal. That is because you have learned that lesson (the easy way or the hard way).

Yes Maam,

Thats why you should write the Attorney Generals Office in Trenton..that I hope resides in NJ.. as the NJ Treasurer doesnt still.

At least in previous elected administrations they have done a few things to protect our consumers here. I liked the Item Pricing one a lot.

The County your residing in as well should be aware of the ..as I think of it Switch and Bait.. as when I personally called Princess Cruise Lines on the landLine they told me the sale was already taken into effect for my pricing...and they tried to UpSell me then as all were taken too... :mad:/))

Thats a miracle actually as the pricing i had was from/for before this so called SALE started ((BALCONY BONANZA)) so where is Hoss and the family too....:eek:

In Green Village there is a Ponderosa but no Bonanza... LoL..

again as most of you are seasoned cruisers (and most with Princess) it is clear to you. I did read the fine print and I PERSONALLY felt mislead. My interpretation may be different than yours. PLus I don't know all the lingo and brochure prices and know that a 2 for 1 really is not a deal. That is because you have learned that lesson (the easy way or the hard way). I just feel that you send this AMAZING postcard out, gets me happy and find that no one qualifies unless you book a balcony. Where did it state that? Ohhh what a promotion book a balcony get another balcony. WOW what a blow out and a bonanza....... wooo hoooo. Spare me the BS. Offer a deal, be clear or don't send it out to me. Well, it always works becuase they will find some poor new cruiser that they think they are getting a deal of a lifetime. Come to find out they really did not. That is MISLEADING! I am going on my 5th cruies and I have just started to find out this BS several cruises ago. RCCL i felt was pretty clear. They offered a discount on certain cabin PERIOD. no blowouts or bonanzas. So when I saw this postcard I was moved to really partake in this bonanza.

As someone who had worked in advertising for some 11-12 years, disclaimers are traditionally in tiny type (6-8 pt if I'm remembering correctly...it's been years). Not necessarily to fool the consumers. It's to streamline the message. If you're interested in the product, you then check the fine print, whether it's data about an electronic product, nutritional content of a food, or requirements to get an upgrade for a cruise. If all that info was in the regular sized type, you would have difficulty seeing what was actually being sold.

Just like if you are looking at a outdoor billboard while stopped for a red light. You'll notice that there are very few words. Maybe just the name of the product and the tag line. Else, you wouldn't be able to read the whole thing before you can drive off.

Archived