Cruise Lingo

conweb

Can someone help me with some of the lingo. I am a first timer...been reading alot....PVP....? Sail and Sign? I think I figured out DH means Dear Husband???:confused: HELP....I call mine DH sometimes but it has a totally different meaning...LOL. Just kidding....seriously I just don't know. My sister wants to horseback ride on the beach while we are cruising.....where is a good place? Also We are on Victory 1/6/08 Eastern Carb....Thanks to all that can help me.

Conweb

PVP = Personal Vacation Planner --- if you go to Carnival's Website and "click" to have someone call you (it's a link on the one side) or just register, you will get a PVP who will help you, of course, plan your vacation. :o

Sail and Sign is a card that you get when completing embarkation that is your "money" and access on the ship. You place cash, traveler's cheques, or a credit card down on it. It is your room key as well (on most ships, not some of the older ones). Basically, if you buy a drink, or whatever, it is placed on your S&S card. You can settle up the balance at the end of the cruise. Also, if you didn't prepay your gratuities, they will be placed on it as well. The card also serves as your "check in and out" of the ship when you're in port.

DH = dear husband. RIGHT ON!

DD = dear daughter --- and so on. Hope this helps!

~Liz~

PVP's are Carnival's Personal Vacation Planners with whom you can book your cruise directly.

Sail & Sign info from Carnival's website:

What is Sail & Sign?spacer.gifSail & Sign is Carnival's cashless on board credit program which allows guests to charge purchases directly to a personal account for convenience throughout the cruise.

Registration will take place on sailing day at embarkation or on board at the Information Desk. The completed application form (included in the cruise documents) must be submitted along with a 1) credit card, 2) U.S. currency, or 3) traveler's checks.

Personalized Sail & Sign cards will be provided to all guests on a booking (including minors) and are valid for use immediately upon boarding the ship.

The Information Desk can provide guests with a balance update at any time throughout the cruise.

All charges will automatically be billed to the guest's credit card at the end of the voyage. On the final morning of the cruise, a statement detailing all purchases made with the Sail & Sign card will be delivered to the guest's stateroom. The total amount will be applied to the credit card presented during registration. For those guests who put down a cash deposit, if there is an overpayment at the end of the cruise, the guest will receive the overpayment in the form of a check attached to their detailed statement on the final morning of the cruise.

Any inqiries regarding a Sail & Sign Account made after the cruise, need to be referred to the Guest Relations Department (71551) for researching.

There are more details for the Sail & Sign account on the FAQ section of Carnival's website.

Hope that helps.

DH = dear husband. RIGHT ON!

DD = dear daughter --- and so on. Hope this helps!

quote]

The first time I read the DH thing I thought that they were saying "Dumb Husband":eek:

So now everytime I read that I still think dumb................ whatever:D

Welcome to CC! :) It's a great site and has a lot of very useful info.

The different ports have thier own boards and you can get all sorts of great info on them. There are also roll call boards so you can visit with some of the people who will be on the ship with you.

The one that threw me was:

TIA = Thanks In Advance

It took me a bit to get that one. At first I thought it was interesting that so many on here shared my niece's name. Once I realized what it meant I felt my blond roots grow just a little bit more. :p :rolleyes:

Happy cruising!!!

Thanks for so much feed back! This is such a friendly site....I am starting to find my way....I get frustrated sometimes not being able to navigate but am learning thanks to you CCM.....:) Like that?

I do have another ? tho....about the S+S cards. Does each person have thier own account or is it charged to the room and you have to separate it yourself? My friend said everyone in the rooms charges are on the same card. Yikes....my friend and I are in one cabin and my sis and cousin are in another.

girlfriend-GF; boyfriend - BF; Brother-in-law BIL; SIL, etc.

Read a review once by a woman who cruised with her boyfriend and best friend. She used BF interchangeably for both throughout her posts. It was the most confusing thing I ever read. :eek:

OP -- other things you will hear when you're on the ship:

starboard -- the right side of the ship;

port -- the left side;

forward/bow -- the front of the ship;

stern/aft -- the back of the ship;

gangway--where you'll debark for tenders;

galley -- kitchen;

head -- bathroom (though they don't say that on cruise ships, really)

that's all i can think of now.

Thanks for so much feed back! This is such a friendly site....I am starting to find my way....I get frustrated sometimes not being able to navigate but am learning thanks to you CCM.....:) Like that?

I do have another ? tho....about the S+S cards. Does each person have thier own account or is it charged to the room and you have to separate it yourself? My friend said everyone in the rooms charges are on the same card. Yikes....my friend and I are in one cabin and my sis and cousin are in another.

You can have everyone's charges on one credit card or you can have each S&S card linked to a different credit card. You do it when you check in.

Sure takes a load of my mine...I am traveling with a couple of real boozer chicks...lol....not really but we are just excited and I know we will have to try all the exotic drinks and gamble and do the spa! Any suggestions on when is the best time to get a massage....I'm thinking on the last day at sea...to unwind! Kinda put the icing on the whole cake....a good way to top off the cruise!

When you get on the ship remember FORWARD (front of the ship) AFT (back).

Starboard (right side) Port (left)

Never call the ship a BOAT!

Always give yourself PLENTY of time for getting back to the ship. Remember traffic can be a lot worse on the roads at the time the ships are due to leave port. What might talke 15 minutes to get there may be more like 45 getting back! Especially ports like St. Thomas.

NEVER mistake a ship officer for a waiter! The Captain of a ship once told me people were doing this all the time to him!

Go to the lifeboat drill!

Try and do as much as possible on your cruise. You can sleep when you get home. :)

When you get on the ship remember FORWARD (front of the ship) AFT (back).

Starboard (right side) Port (left)

Never call the ship a BOAT! ...

...NEVER mistake a ship officer for a waiter! The Captain of a ship once told me people were doing this all the time to him!

Go to the lifeboat drill!

Try and do as much as possible on your cruise. You can sleep when you get home. :)

good point, lol. and the hallways are "passageways" or "corridors;" your room is your "cabin" or "stateroom;" the information desk is the "purser's desk;" the floors are "decks;"

and stewart?...

well, we'll just leave him out of this b/c if we don't; we won't have anything fun to talk about later. LOL:D

Archived