How much to give for "extra" tips?

nevarez

Question, do people usually tip the person who brings your bags to the cabin? To me they are heavy and more extra work than anything else.

Our luggage was in our cabin and we never saw or met our cabin steward for the entire week. It is interesting that others seem to know the names of their stewards? Our beds were made everyday by the time we go back from breakfast. We liked the invisable service.

Most of the time it is your cabin steward who delivers your luggage.

We never tip him at that time. We never tip at the start of a cruise. We always tip our cabin steward additional but it is at the end of the cruise.

The cruise director on the Zuiderdam assured us that 100% of that $10 per day goes as tips to the staff...no amount is kept for administration or any other type of ship's revenue....I agree with jtl513...it's unfortunate that HAL has chosen to call this a "service charge" since it tends to make us wonder why....

sakeDad....I tipped extra for good service....there were some staff which did not get a tip at all....

for the record, I'd like to see tipping stopped completely....I'd prefer to pay a larger amount for a product/service and have the staff paid properly and not have to rely on tips....I've seen how important tips are to my son ( a bartender ) and his friends ( bar staff )...they could not pay their rent if they had to rely on the salary portion of their paycheque....I think that's why I tend to tip these days...not big tips but certainly "generous"..

Archived