Red October

hauby

Several years ago, I communicated with both Red October and DenRus about touring in St. Petersburg. When we wanted to make some minor changes to their suggested two day itinerary, DenRus became quite difficult, while RO was very accommodating.

Our two days touring with RO were fabulous--and the cost was a little less than two days of ship's shore excursions. We could personalize the tour to our interests, and go at our pace.

I second Andee's RO recommendation. In '03 they designed a tour for me and I was very happy with them, so much so that I'm using them again this August. I do solo tours, so my cost is high but I get to see all the things I want (within time limits) and they are very accommodating. I couldn't cover all my wish list using ship's tours and if I could the cost would be as much or more.

We used Red October in 2005 for our 2-day visit to St. Petersburg and they were great! Easily the best private tour company we have used. They were accomodating and our guide, Helen, was first rate. We had a group of 6 and RO provided an air conditioned van and driver. Helen was waiting for us at dockside both mornings. Denrus gets a lot of good reviews, too. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

You may want to post your query over on the Baltic sub-forum, within the Ports of Call forum for a wider range of responses and there are already a lot of posts over there comparing the two companies.

We used Red October a few years ago and they were great! Great communication via email before our cruise and everything went very smoothly during our 2 days in St. Petersburg. I don't think you can go wrong using them. If I remember correctly, we paid cash at the end of the first day of touring. Have a great trip!

Mary Lou

Archived