Miami Hotels

We are going to be flying into Miami a day early. Any good suggestions for inexpensive but decent hotels to stay with family in the south beach area? Also, any website better than others to book or is direct to hotel better. There are soooo many websites and I have used them all.

Thanks

We like the South Seas Hotel in South Beach. It's on Collins Ave and about 17th. It is right on the beach with direct beach access, and has a lovely pool area, too. It's an older art deco hotel that has been renovated and its age kind of shows. It's not the fanciest place by any means, but is clean and comfortable. They serve a continental breakfast each morning, which is included in the room rate. The hotel is very close to the fancy ones -- Delano, Shore Club, but without the price! And, it's near the Lincoln Road restaurants and shops. They have a great staff, too. Our cruise on NOS was delayed three days due to Hurricane Jeanne and the staff was wonderful about accommodating us during the delay. We've always enjoyed our stays there. We love to stay in South Beach before a cruise.

We stayed at the Marina Park- Holiday Inn. It's about a 1/2 mile to the port, you can see the ships from the rooms on the upper floors, and Bayside Marketplace is right across the street.

Don't forget to call the hotels directly and ask about "specials"--I've found that many times, the clerks on duty will give significant discounts, depending on day of the week! Better, many times, than any of the websites! You should at least check it out!

The Holiday Inn, just directly across the street from Bayside, is your best spot. Dining, shopping, entertainment is right there. Request a room with water view. When you awake on the morning of your cruise, you will sea your ship on Dodge Island (the pier). Grab a quick breakfast at the Holiday Inn, take a short walk to Walgreen's and Ross Store for last minute items, then a cab to the pier. We did all this and were still the first one's "In the Pool!".

Have a great time.

Rick and Deirdra

Another vote for Holiday Inn Port of Miami:)

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami in December. Quite convenient. I awoke at 3:30ish and saw the Freedom as she was heading toward the turn-around basin just before docking. What a beautiful site she was! Bayside Market was so handy for restaurants and evening entertainment-shopping, people watching, and music here and there. The morning before we boarded the Freedom, we took a cruise around Millionaires' Row-included in the price of the room, then grabbed a taxi in front of the hotel and were at the pier in a matter of minutes. :D

And another vote for the Holiday Inn. It wasn't anything fancy, but the rates were reasonable and the rooms were clean. We were lucky enough to get a sute that overlooked the port and could see the ships from our room.

And another vote for the Holiday Inn. It wasn't anything fancy, but the rates were reasonable and the rooms were clean. We were lucky enough to get a sute that overlooked the port and could see the ships from our room.

We also enjoy the Holiday Inn and its super location and we just heard the great news that it is going to be remodeled. There has been concern for the last few years that it would be sold and torn down to make space for another high-rise condo.

One word of caution. Miami is usually warm year round but an occasional cold snap blows thru in January or February and the Holiday Inn does not have a heating sysem. We usually book an alternate hotel during these months, then keep our eye on the weather forecast to decide which hotel to stay at and which to cancel.

I made areservation at the Holiday Inn, requesting a king bed, smoking room on an upper floor facing the oport. Uppon arrival, we were given a room on the third floor, facing a wall. The woman at the desk said that smoking rooms are the first 3 floors only, and that the person taking reservations doesn't know what he is talking about. So just a caution at this hotel - no matter what they tell you on the phone, you won't be getting the reservation you request if it is like mine.:(

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami also last year for our Freedom cruise. I agree that it is good for a stay before the cruise, especially being directly across the street from Bayside Marketplace. We had a room on a higher floor at the front of the hotel, right above the entrance. We were able to watch from our window & see all of our Cruise Critic friends arriving by taxi to the hotel. Then for meals (we stayed two days before the cruise) we just walked across the street to Bayside & took our pick of restaurants. (My son's favorite was Bubba Gumps--I had my fill of shrimp those two days!!)

This year for our Liberty cruise, we're staying at Intercontinental, because I got a good deal online and it was only about ten dollars more for the night than Holiday Inn. I thought we'd try something different, and it's still right near Bayside, just the other end.

Archived