Brittania...where to sit?

juneann

I would pick the ground level atrium area -- for the views of the tapestry, staircase, atrium, and, occasionally, El Commodore.

You can get equally good views on the upper level, which is tiered in such a way that there are very few 'bad' seats.

Indeed, I think there are very few bad seats in the whole restaurant. My advice is to go to your assigned table the first night -- and if you are in any way not happy with the location/company -- don't hesitate to ask for a change.

Reminder: your table assignment will be on a card in your cabin when you board. If you have your heart set on a particular location and don't get it, you can go down to the Britannia right away and see what you can do.

Crouton

Agree with Crouton - the Center Atrium is the nicest, either on level one dead center (this is also where the Captain's table is) or adjacent. Also the second tier by the Center railing is very nice.

I forgot which seating you choose. But if you seek a window view, for late seating it will be dark and there will be no view.

Crouton - agree that most of the tables are nice which is why we were not pleased to have been seated in two of the very worst ones.

Jeanne

On RCCL's Serenade of the Seas whose DR is identical to BR, we sat dead center in the Atrium adjacent the Captain’s table and just loved it – the view of the mural and staircase, ceiling – all splendid. You are Cat B1 and deserve a great table Juneann.

Thanks for the advice.

So, after we board we have to make reservations for Todd English, Canyon Ranch and we could check out our dinner seating (or wait until dinner). Any more things we need to take care of?

greetings from QM2..dock late in NYC tomorrow. Eating in a grill room this trip but did my "sit at every Britannia table tour" at 2 AM last evening in an empty restaurant. Great tables in the first tier of the upper level. Good duces on the 1st and 2nd tiers. Siberia may be the window seats on the first level but they are a bit out of the fray, from what a couple confreres onboard report. The noise level gives some passengers cause to request those.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by juneann:

Thanks for the advice.

So, after we board we have to make reservations for Todd English, Canyon Ranch and we could check out our dinner seating (or wait until dinner). Any more things we need to take care of?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL...way to go, Juneann!

There's a bit of planning required to ensure you get what you want and you're putting it together.

I had the same list, but when I got on board the ship was just so incredible that I decided to let a lot of it go -- which I only regretted a little bit later. It's like that.

But since we're being thorough here, a few comments (not intended to drive you crazy...everything will work out just fine.)

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>I had also planned to get to the onboard logo store to grab any special souvenirs before they ran out. This turned out to be both impossible (the stores stay closed until after the ship has sailed) -- and they held separate sales each day for the exclusive merchandise.

<LI>You can download the services menu for the QM2 Canyon Ranch Spa here. Deciding more or less what you want and when beforehand will help.

<LI>If you miss getting a Todd English rez, don't fret. I think your chances are good of getting in if you walk down to the restaurant itself before dinner on the day you want. When they call the wait list, they do not leave voice mails(understandably), so it's not that unusual for there to be a few spots they haven't filled yet.

<LI>Honestly, you might want to bring a snack with you to provide a cushion in case there are delays in your embarkation process so that you can get your 'errands' done without trying to figure out eating as well.

<LI>Go to the very stern of the ship while she's still docked and check out how far she sticks into the Hudson.

<LI>If you want to, bring some streamers to throw -- even if to no one. It's fun.

<LI>If you have time, take a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan before your trip so that you can focus on the experience of sailing down the Hudson without trying to figure out what everything is.

<LI>When your cruise docs come -- or when you board -- you can order flowers for your cabin. It's a nice touch.

<LI>Don't worry about your luggage: it will get delivered to your cabin.

<LI>Don't forget to sign the Cruise Critic Logbook in the library -- the Librarian knows where it is. icon_smile.gif

I hope this helps, and Bon Voyage!

Crouton

[This message was edited by Crouton on 06-18-04 at 12:40 PM.]

All of this is a great help.

We are New Yorkers and live in NYC so we are all set...it will be a treat not having to fly anywhere first.

As you can tell, I am a planner. It's a great part of the fun and excitement of any travel for me. I try not to get very crazy and over plan, but I did download the spa services.

Did you use the spa facilities? Is it worth paying for a few days?

Also, did you try any other alternative restaurants?

We really enjoy Todd English restaurants. However, if for some reason we couldn't get in, we would be cool with that..we'd go to the one in Manhattan. There is also a really good satellite one in Laguardia Airports..Figs.

Thanks for all your help.

June

"...As you can tell, I am a planner. It's a great part of the fun and excitement of any travel for me...."

Me too...and then we don't have to spend half of our actual vacation time figuring things out. icon_smile.gif

I used the spa services on my 5th day, and wished I had done so much sooner. I had a great massage and the therapy pool ...well...you just have to experience it.

With a treatment, you get access to all the spa facilities for the entire day. Or, you can pay a day use fee ($19?). They do an "open house" at boarding where you can check it out and book. I missed that opportunity, but won't the next time.

Since you can cancel 8 hours in advance without penalty, my advice would be to book everything you think you'd like to do upfront. On my crossing, virtually all of the treatment appointments were gone within 24 hours.

IMHO Todd English is by far the best and the only truly alternative restaurant onboard. Lotus, the Asian alternative at King's Court, is also worth a special reservation. The rest (Carvery, La Piazza, Chef's Galley) are all good too -- it just depends what you want.

I don't know if it was just me, but understanding the schedule -- not to mention the layout -- of King's Court was somehow beyond my grasp (even though I loved eating there). What I wish someone had made clear to me: if you want to eat dinner there, you must PHONE your reservation in before 5pm.

I hope you'll let us know about your trip when you get back, June. I'd look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Tony

The noise level gives some passengers cause to request those

So where exactly is the noise problem?

16 - HAL

10 - Cunard

4 - Home Lines

2 - NCL

2 - Royal Viking Line

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

• 2 weeks later...

I would pick a table on level 3 along the windows, for it's great view. I had a table for 2 (#100) off to the right hand side of the tapestry. It unfortunately was right next to a waiter station. Got over that pretty quick though, as the amount of time spent in the dining room was miniscule.

Vince

I'm afraid I disagree with Crouton and Jeanne S. We sat at a table for six in the atrium area next to the Captain's table and found the noise level in this area made it very difficult to converse with the person across the table. I would think a table on the uppper level next to a window would be quieter and more desirable.

Archived