Steam room relaxation

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed on the Majesty of the Seas about 10 years ago and enjoyed spending some time in the sauna & steam room after working out. I'll be on this ship again soon and am a little disappointed to see that they got rid of the sauna and made the steam room smaller.

How many people will the new steam room accommodate? Is it still worth using? I'm sure I'll have a great time on the cruise but was looking forward to these amenities...

I sailed on the Majesty of the Seas about 10 years ago and enjoyed spending some time in the sauna & steam room after working out. I'll be on this ship again soon and am a little disappointed to see that they got rid of the sauna and made the steam room smaller.

How many people will the new steam room accommodate? Is it still worth using? I'm sure I'll have a great time on the cruise but was looking forward to these amenities...

No answer as to the new accommodations, but I enjoyed the Majesty of the Seas sauna and steam room and have been disappointed when they are not available on certain ships. Going on the Enchantment and will surely check this out.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hello, Cruise'n Nate.

To your inquiry: "Should I have been wearing a swimsuit? What is correct in these situations?"...it has been my experience that, as long as the steam or sauna are located within a men's locker room area, you are not required to wear a swimsuit (look for signs stating otherwise, which I've never seen, but check anyway if you're unsure). Most of the time, the men I've seen in these situations are not wearing a swimsuit, but may wrap themselves with a towel. Additionally, I have seen gentlemen sitting or even laying on their towel in these facilities, not covered. From what I've read in other posts, this also common practice in most spas throughout the world, so I believe the issue remains with the person whom you say 'bolted' from the steam room. (Probably the same kinda guy who would wear sneakers/trainers IN the steam room (personal pet-peeve of mine: GRRR & GROSS, IMO.)

Hello, mstuba.

To your mention of the Enchantment, it is my understanding the that steam & sauna rooms were removed from the Enchantment during her major refurbishment several years back (when she was also lengthened). As such, no such facilities are offered. This is why I mentioned the Grandeur of the Seas (sister-ship to the Enchantment), which to my knowledge still maintains her steam/sauna facilities.

Hello, b1977.

To your inquiry: "How many people will the new steam room accommodate? Is it still worth using?"... I tried to use the new, tiny steam room on the Majesty a few years ago and was HIGHLY disappointed. It only seats two men comfortably or 4 VERY tightly. Also, even though the steam room was brand new at the time, it was never operational & no matter how many times I mentioned it to the spa staff (who could have cared less), it was never repaired. I can't wait until RCI places a Voyager-class ship on the 3/4 night Bahama itinerary (possibly in 2014), because THOSE ships have GREAT steam & sauna rooms in the men's locker rooms.

Bon voyage!!

:p

Thanks for the info, Gigglewolf. That's a little disappointing but I guess the cruise will still be fun & I'll still check out the steam room. Maybe I'll find a nice spa in the Bahamas for a nice massage, sauna, steam, and plunges in the men's locker room.

Going on the Enchantment and will surely check this out.

I was on Enchantment about 6 weeks ago. There is no steam or sauna.

Gym not in good shape. Spa staff unhelpful bordering on rude.

On the other hand, the rest of the ship was very nice and I have decided

to keep my December booking on Enchantment even though I can't get

any steam/sauna time.

Am hoping to find a few spas in the Caribbean when I go in Dec.

Any suggestions on St.Thomas, St.Maarten, Puerto Rico, Antigua?

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the Costa Luminosa last year and the sauna was great. Really good size and excellent views to sea from large windows. Even though this was a men's only sauna it had signs saying that clothing should be worn. However the majority of men did not take notice of the sign. This didn't seem to worry anyone or the staff! I used it most days and had a throughly enjoyable time.

• 2 months later...
On any cruise I take, after working-out, I enjoy taking a sauna &, particularly, using the steam room. Since I don't have such facilities at my gym back home this is something I especially look forward to.

Some time away from the rest of the family/friends to jump in & out of the heat, cooling-off in the adjacent showers, then getting back in. Usually find some great conversation & company. I can spend hours just relaxing, detoxing....whatever. Great way to release. Any other guys enjoy the steam-time as well?

;)

I'm one of those guys who enjoy the spa as well. Just like you mentioned, my local gym doesn't have a sauna or steam room, so I enjoy them particularly on cruise ships.

I'm a little bummed though. Apparenty NCL's Epic (my next one) charges for them, according to what I've read on this forum :( oh well... I'll have to shed around $120 bucks for this.

I'm one of those guys who enjoy the spa as well. Just like you mentioned, my local gym doesn't have a sauna or steam room, so I enjoy them particularly on cruise ships.

I'm a little bummed though. Apparenty NCL's Epic (my next one) charges for them, according to what I've read on this forum :( oh well... I'll have to shed around $120 bucks for this.

Yes, the Epic does charge, the sauna in the men's locker room is a complete waste of time, it is very small and was cold anyway :(

We saw the sauna in the women's area and that it a great size.

The steam room is adequate but on the whole the better layout is on NCL's jewel class ships.

Yes, the Epic does charge, the sauna in the men's locker room is a complete waste of time, it is very small and was cold anyway :(

We saw the sauna in the women's area and that it a great size.

The steam room is adequate but on the whole the better layout is on NCL's jewel class ships.

I'm still quite confused about this. I've heard there are two men's locker rooms on the Epic: one in the gym and one in the spa. Do you know/remember if the locker room in the gym has sauna/steam room as well? or only the one in the spa?

And when you say the sauna in the men's locker room is "very small", how small is it, people-wise?

I'm still quite confused about this. I've heard there are two men's locker rooms on the Epic: one in the gym and one in the spa. Do you know/remember if the locker room in the gym has sauna/steam room as well? or only the one in the spa?

And when you say the sauna in the men's locker room is "very small", how small is it, people-wise?

I do not recall if there was a sauna in the 'free' changing area, in fact I do not even recall if there was a changing area, we used the changing area at the 'spa' which we paid extra for a pass, the sauna in this area was very small, probably held about 3 people, we never saw it used, probably because is was not working properly!

Edited by waldorf

I do not recall if there was a sauna in the 'free' changing area, in fact I do not even recall if there was a changing area, we used the changing area at the 'spa' which we paid extra for a pass, the sauna in this area was very small, probably held about 3 people, we never saw it used, probably because is was not working properly!

I see. Hopefully it will be working when I go. I will probably buy the spa pass anyway. Thanks for your help! :)

I agree that soaking in the hot tub or hitting the sauna or steamroom is a great way to relax. I've only done the Holland America ships and it would depend on which class/size of ship that determines if the steam and sauna were same sex or not. On the Maasdam, Statendam class ships there are seperate steam and saunas for each sex. On the Vista ships (Noordam et al) there is a sauna for each sex (that can hold maybe 6 people) but to use the steamrooms you needed the thermal spa pass ($). Hot tubs are free of course. I've never had any issues with using the sauna nude - that seems to me like the natural way.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if the Carnival Liberty has a steam room? Ever since leaving the West coast I can't seem to find gyms or healthclubs here with steam rooms and I really miss them!

Also wondering about the gym and sauna (men's) facilities on the Carnival magic? Going out of Galveston soon!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I read through the posts about steamrooms and saunas on board cruise ships.

I was hoping to read about the NCL Jewel. Someone asked about a free steam room in the weight room locker area. But, I didn't see a response. I'd love to sit in the steam room after running in the evening. I don't want to pay for a spa pass. Is there a free steam room and/or sauna on board the NCL Jewel?

Thanks

Hi, I read through the posts about steamrooms and saunas on board cruise ships.

I was hoping to read about the NCL Jewel. Someone asked about a free steam room in the weight room locker area. But, I didn't see a response. I'd love to sit in the steam room after running in the evening. I don't want to pay for a spa pass. Is there a free steam room and/or sauna on board the NCL Jewel?

Thanks

Yes, the Jewel has a very small free steam room in the men's locker room of the fitness center.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone provide a synopsis of the Celebrity ships (not sure if the facilities change with class of ship) spa area. Charges? Co-ed?

Thanks!

Jacob- Phoenix

The Millenium class ships tend to have a sauna in the locker room, with some showers but little space to take time out between sessions and no refreshments.

The Solstice class ships again have an even smaller sauna in the locker room, a couple of showers and again no refreshments or anywhere to rest.

Overall these areas are not great in my opinion but seem to be following a general move to pushing passengers to pay for these facilities in mixed areas.