Guest Dies on Half Moon Cay

mcwebber

mcwebber: I'm so sorry that you and so many others were witness to this horrific experience and especially this poor mans family.

You plan a vacation and certainly don't ever expect to be confronted by these kinds of watershed moments. And, unfortunately, these kinds of experiences stay with us!!!!!

Look at all the postitives in your own life; cruise again; and have the expectation that it will be a truly enjoyable time!

There is no way I can feel sorry for myself or any other passenger in this case. Certainly, I regret having witnessed this, but I feel that my, and any other passenger's "pain" at witnessing this pales in comparison to the victim's family's suffering. What an absolute nightmare for them. As a result of this experience, even though I recently finished my CPR/AED certification, I plan on sitting in on another class coming up just to be more prepared should I need to do CPR in the future. I will probably also carry my CPR shield instead of leaving it in the glove compartment.

I already have my next cruise booked for the end of the month aboard the Fascination. (Actually, it was booked prior to this last trip.) My future cruises will more depend on what the ship schedules will be out of Port Canaveral since the Elation will be gone and the Sensation now offers the only 3 - 5 night, (my preferred cruise lengths), out of Canaveral. Been on the Sensation twice. Canaveral is only about a 2 - 3 hour drive for me. There are other reasons I'll probably be cruising less in the future, but this won't be a factor.

McWeber,

We did not even know the man had died until we took a water taxi over to Paradise Island the next day. A man was talking about it as we disembarked.

My husband saw the hearse in Nassau so we assumed that was them taking the body to be sent home.

I think it was sad but it really did not turn me off of cruising. It is our favorite vacation form.

My wife and 7yr old son were witness to this man being pulled on the beach — I was snorkeling at the time. My wife ran and yelled for someone on one of the tender boats to help.

While we assumed his passing (after the length of time of CPR)... we weren't sure exactly because we had to get my 7yr old out of the way. We are deeply dismayed and have been praying for his family.

My son (who attended Camp Carnival) said that the kids talked about it the next day (wish I was there to help them process). While this information may not be correct... he was informed that the man who died had hit is head on the rocks while snorkeling (this information coming for the child whose father pulled the man from the water) Again...remembering that these are children and may not have all the facts. The heart attack (mentioned in this thread) was the first that we have heard of (not that we're that well informed). I just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure.

My wife is still having deep feelings for this man's family and the thought of losing someone at such a happy time as vacation (Not to mention that it hits home being 36 and with young child). By no means is our grief in comparison to that of this man's family. The sadness we feel is for the family and the fact that life can be shortened in a blink of an eye. My son clung to me the rest of the day and wanted to leave the island to get back on the ship (who could blame him).

I pray for...

• For the family — for emotional healing, for loving family & friends to surround them, and the ability to celebrate the good times with their lost loved one
  • For those that came to aid in CPR, shade, water, towels — that they may release this bad experience but remember the shortness of life and celebrate with their own families around them daily

I too was on the beach when this happened, I saw a crowd at the beach, but, someone said a man had a heart attack and I thought an extra body around that crowd would be too much for the man to deal with as he was being worked on. I wanted to respect him (I would hate to have a crowd around me while I was being tended to for a medical emergency)

I did not realize he had passed away.

I've no idea who he is, but, this whole situation has haunted me since I learned of it.

My understanding is that he had a heart attack and passed away, then floated closer to the beach where two young girls found him.

I heard a man in the hot tub telling some people that he was a fire fighter and had helped pull him from the beach, done 45 mins of CPR on him and that he had washed vomit off of himself after the whole situation was taken over by the ships doctor,so alot of the chatter on the board sounds familiar.

I saw the Hearse when I came back for lunch in Nassau.

I will never forget this, I cannot even fathom what the family is going through.

I didn't want my husband or mother out of my sight for the rest of our trip.

A terrible terrible tragedy, hope something is learned from this.

Maybe having life guards avail on shore excursions?? insisting snorkel in pairs?

I too was on the beach when this happened,

My understanding is that he had a heart attack and passed away, then floated closer to the beach where two young girls found him.

It seemed they had a response from him when they started CPR. I don't want to describe in detail but you mentioned the result. Those girls, from what I was told, had spoken to him out there 10 minutes earlier and then noticed he wasn't moving and called for help.

Maybe having life guards avail on shore excursions?? insisting snorkel in pairs?

Both good suggestions. There appeared to be lifeguard stands on the beach, but guests were sitting in them. I just looked at my pictures and I happened to photograph the area where he was snorkeling as the tender arrived at HMC. It's haunting to look at the tranquil scene by the kids water slide only about an hour or so before.

While we assumed his passing (after the length of time of CPR)... we weren't sure exactly because we had to get my 7yr old out of the way.

I think I overheard your wife telling your child, if it was them, that there were too many people around the water slide area so they would come back later.

Good idea to have people snorkel in pairs. Also, good idea to have a lifeguard near the snorkel area (if there isn't one now.) We were at HMC two weeks ago, and did see lifeguards at the swimming area.

Also, might be good to offer a free short snorkel lesson to cruisers who haven't been before.

My heart goes out, certainly to this man and his family....but, that said; to you people (including children) who had to witness this horrific event; how awful for you!

M&M: When you mentioned being haunted by it.....it's so understandable and I hope that it doesn't linger forever in your memories of what should have been a wonderful and peaceful time!

I think the idea of lifeguards is great.

I too was surprised to see that the lifeguard stands went unused.

The lessons item is a good idea too. My husband wanted to go snorkeling but I wouldn't as I have asthma and I was afraid I would get nervous, lose my breath and drown.

A short lesson would be great for guests new to the activity...plus to see if someone can actually do it....

My thought have been with this family since our return.

• 2 weeks later...
I still have not heard or been able to find any news on this... has anyone else?

Haven't heard anything. There was an item of a security incident on the USCG web site but no further details.

I am coming ini late, but want to let everyone know about jelly fish allergies. It's the same stuff as bee stings and those allergic to bee stings are probably allergic to jelly fish and should carry an epi pen. I do on every dive and when I am in the ocean. Typical allergic reactions from a jelly fish sting are swelling aroung the stung area. Anaphlactic shock can then occur. This will block the airway. I suspect this guy had a heart attack and not anaphlactic shock, based on the OP's information.

Again, if you are allergic to bee stings, carry an epi pen. I tape mine between the girls and have been glad to have it, more than once.

Archived