Medications????

Does anyone know if you have to bring your prescriptions in the actual bottle or can I keep them in my pill holder? I take a lot of medication and to take the bottles would take up a lot of room in the suitcase. Any ideas????

Trixie Belle, you should always take your pills in their original labelled bottle.

In case of emergency, all medication information is available right on the bottle. In case you are not able to communicate, your family members and the medical staff will not have to guess at pill type and dosing information.

Also, it helps to have proof that they are legal prescriptions, and not anything else.

Better safe than sorry;)

If you are concerned about bottle sizes, talk to your pharmacitst, you should be able to get smaller, labelled bottles to take on vacations, that will hold a smaller anount of pills, and take up less space.

If you are flying, absolutely need the RX bottles.

Whether flying or cruising or both, NEVER pack your medications in checked luggage. Always have them in a piece of carryon.

Check with your pharmacy, I'm sure they will give you smaller containers for each meds.

Both myself and wife take many pills each morning {17} and {12} and we just bring our pill container and a 1/2container 10 days supply and the only thing we do special is we bring a printout from the pharmacy with a list of all the medications have never had a problem yet. We fly out of Boston.

I was told by airline that pills must be in RX bottles. If you take any type of pain meds they should be in there original labeled container.

I went thru airport screening with meds in a weekly container box and was detained for 1 hour while security figured out what meds were what. I also had a list of prescribed meds from doctor. That did not satisify security. Was warned it is ILLEGAL to carry any type of medication on your person or in baggage that is not in its prescribes package. I do carry samples of some meds with the DRs prescription and that was ok. I will NEVER travel again with our meds being in a prescription bottle.

Odds are that you are fine with the pill box, but why chance it? It's techinically illegal to travel without meds in the original prescription bottle. It's worth it for me to make a little extra room in the carryon for the bottles than to chance problems with airport security, customs, etc. If I became one of the random search people, I wouldn't want to be detained while they figured out each pill and whether or not I had it legally prescribed.

Does anyone know if you have to bring your prescriptions in the actual bottle or can I keep them in my pill holder? I take a lot of medication and to take the bottles would take up a lot of room in the suitcase. Any ideas????

As a nurse, I recommend that you have your pharmacist provide for you enough labeled medication bottles to hold each of your prescribed medications. This way in the unlikely event that you become ill on the ship or while in port, the ship's physician knows what meds. you take and what other medications might interact with them. You might also want your pharmacist to print you a list of all of your meds. to keep on your person in the event that you become ill while off of the ship. There are always doctors' and nurses' cruising and most of the time they will be 1st. responders in the event something happens on board. And, like the other posters said to your question, the law requires that all prescribed medications be labeled, especially in the event your bag are searched by TSA or customs. I always say it is better to err on the side of caution.

Absolutely they should be in the the original prescription bottle. It's actually illegal to carry them any other way. If you're stopped by police and they're not in the original prescription bottle, you can be arrested for drug possession.

Same with OTC meds. Keep them in the original bottle, too.

I know the med. should be in their own bottle. I get most of our medication from mail order- so it is larger bottles. Would a pharacy which we use often give me a smaller bottle with a label even if I did not get that prescribtion there.

My doctor told me that starting in January of 2006 you have to have the original script with you. I have found nothing on line that says so but I will have my meds in their bottles with the scripts on them for June going to Vegas and October on our cruise.

do you think they really are going to check every bottle and know what size, shape and color is correct for the label. They just don't want you to bring back cheap RX so that the Pharma companies can't rip you off in the states.

do you think they really are going to check every bottle and know what size, shape and color is correct for the label. They just don't want you to bring back cheap RX so that the Pharma companies can't rip you off in the states.

Sadly, there's probably a lot of truth in that statement.

I don't think I've ever taken my prescriptions in the original bottles.

I take my pill keeper for my pills.

I suppose you never know if you're going to get stopped, and checked.:confused:

I would rather take my pill keeper, but I think I might take my bottles this time.:rolleyes:

I only have two prescriptions, plus calcium pills, and vitamins. Those might be o.k. in smaller containers. I also have a bottle of ginger pills, and a small bottle of Tylenol, in their original bottles.

I carry 7 prescriptions on trips. Fly to Vegas twice a year and they have checked my pills at the airport against the bottles. Cruise didn't check but the bottles all have stickers now saying exactly what the pills look like.

Archived