Canakkale, but not Troy or Galipoli?

Wow - two weeks until my second Med cruise and I am pretty excited. I have some specific plans, such as lunch reservations on the terrace of the Hotel Splendido in Portofino, and renting cars in Malta and Santorini, but most of my stops are going to unfold as they happen, (I figure if I wander around St. Tropez with a fistful of Euros, I'll find someone willing to take me to and from Cannes so I can soak up some Film Festival atmosphere). I've been getting some great ideas from this and a multitude of other fantastic travel sites, and I guess I really only have one port of call that is a big question mark.

I can find almost no information about Canakkale, Turkey. I've been to Ephesus which, by most accounts, has far better ruins, so I don't want to go to Troy; especially since I'll be checking out Pompeii on this trip. I am uninterested in Galipoli as well. From what I've researched, those two seem to be about all that's going on. Other than a vague plan to have lunch at the best restaurant in town, (Yalova Liman Restaurant, which has a great rooftop terrace), I can't find references to other cool things to do.

Any suggestions?

We seem to be thinking along the same lines. Our first port of call is Cannakale, and we don't want to see Gallopoli either. I'm not sure what Troy has to offer. I did find something called, Sultaniye Kale (Sultan's Castle). Check it out on Planetware. We will be spending 3 days in Istanbul before our cruise begins, and I have a feeling we will be so tired, we may just stay onboard and rest before the next 10 days of the cruise. If you do find something to do there, post it on this board, it may change our minds.

Mary Lou

My only comment is that a visit to Troy for me is not so much about wonderful ruins but rather to stand and look out over the plain towards the water and reflect on the story of 'the face that launched a thousand ships'. I know that Schlieman's dig was not the real Troy but most agree that the site is approximately correct. My parents and I got a thrill when we drove past the site years ago and I expect that my wife and kids will get a similar thrill when we visit later this month. [Try to ignore that weird wooden horse standing there]

For me Troy is a place for Homer's Troy fans... If you want to breathe the 6000 year old air from Troy's castle, book a tour and enjoy it...

If you are not into history, just skip it and enjoy your cruise...

There are not many great restaurants in Canakkale, food is mediocre...

We seem to be thinking along the same lines. Our first port of call is Cannakale, and we don't want to see Gallopoli either. I'm not sure what Troy has to offer. I did find something called, Sultaniye Kale (Sultan's Castle). Check it out on Planetware. We will be spending 3 days in Istanbul before our cruise begins, and I have a feeling we will be so tired, we may just stay onboard and rest before the next 10 days of the cruise. If you do find something to do there, post it on this board, it may change our minds.

Mary Lou

Thanks muchly, Mary Lou! Yeah, I had noted the Castle before, which is now a military museum and not really my thing. I think I may bite the bullet and do a ship's tour, (there's one that tours the countryside by road and water on both European and Asian sides). It is only about 5 hours and will leave me time to have a leisurely lunch, a stroll, and just hang out in town after :)

JPO/ilovemed - thanks for your comments re: Troy and the dining situation! Unfortunately, as I stated, I am not interested enough to want to check out Troy and I have sourced the best, (maybe the only decent), restaurant in Canakkale so I'm sorted there :)

Archived