Review of Pride Rome-Athens Cruise (4/l0-4/24/07)

Having just returned from a lovely two week's aboard the Pride, thought that others may enjoy reading about some of the highlights of this cruise for us and hope it helps if anyone is thinking about these ports. After years of travelling through Italy and largely ignoring anything south of Capri it came as a pleasant surprise to find that we really enjoyed seeing both Lipari and Syracuse in the south of Italy. So many times, you hear, the usual, Italy stops in Rome sort of thing - nonsense! Go and see these marvelous and interesting new areas. We took tours in both places and in Syracuse went on our own as well since the ship left late enough to allow us to explore the area on foot. We saw many of our fellow crew and passengers doing the same and it is not run down, as a completely different "feel" to it and would highly recommend these stops. Egypt, oh my gosh, where to start on this. First, we took a tour to Cairo that included a jeep tour through the desert - one jeep for each couple and there were ll of us. Unfortunately, we encountered the worst sand storm that they had seen in 25 years. You could literally not see your hand in front of your face! Some of the other passengers were a little nervous when the jeeps (two of them) got stuck in the sand and it took some time to get us all in a caravan once again. The wonderful sales director Jennifer was in the front seat of our jeep and went around and made sure everyone had plenty of water, we were given face masks and all drivers were told to KEEP the AIR CONDITIONING running!! She was very serious about all of this. As a result, although some people may have prefered a "quieter" adventure, we felt it was a trip of a lifetime. We saw pyramids that are seen only this way - i.e., the "bent pyramid", etc. and when we arrived back on the ship, the entire staff was outside with champagne waiting for us! We looked a sight, all blown around, brown with dirt, but what a time. It was on CNN the next day about this sand storm. We had armed security the entire way, in front, back and on the bus. Luncheon was at a country club and although at first the ride through the area seeing all of the poverty was a little daunting - the end result was well worth it. The next day was spent in Alexendra. We went to the famous Library and after the tour we waiting outside and were immediately surrounded by small children - "where do you live", "Thank you for visiting Egypt", "what is your name"? Generally using whatever words they have learned to smile and "high fived" us. This tells us that they are learning that tourism is important to their country and that they are teaching kids tolerance and respect for other cultures. We never felt threatened in any way whilst we were in either of the two areas. Some passengers took an overnight in Luxor and we saw them returning almost at the same time we were set to pull out. The next stop was in Gythion, Greece, also a first for us there and again, we went to see Sparta and then there is a very nice street to walk about and it was well-received. The next stop was Kusadasi, Turkey, the most wonderful, memorable place we have been to in a very long time! The people are just so warm and Turkey is a shopper's paradise, not worries about the Euro here - they gladly accept our dollars and this was just the walking about in the city part. The most thrilling part of this stop was the Seabourn Experience - they took us to the ancient area of Epsesus (sp) and there in a setting out of movie, was an almost surreal feeling of stepping back into time - you could almost feel the spirits of these people from ages back all around you - and they had a four piece symphony playing while the moon came through the beautiful backdrop of the windows of the ruins around us. For this alone, we would gladly return to this area. Next stop was Istanbul, Turkey. We elected to take the Virtuoso rather than the American Express and are very happy we did so. They conducted a first rate tour of all of the famous sights. After the Mosque we went next to the Four Seasons Hotel Rooftop for a magnificent luncheon that lasted over two hours. We had a little four piece band playing and the food was splendid, they even gave out beautiful favors at the end of the luncheon. We were there on a Sunday when the Grand Bazaar was closed, but the woman running it arranged for us to have an hour to look about in the shops just outside of the Bazaar which were open and then back to the Pride. Upon arrival in Athens, my husband had arranged a driver to pick us up so we left independently at about 9:00 A.M. Everything was taken care of for us, the passports already stamped, the bags waiting for us, a man to pick them up, cart them and take them to the waiting car and by 9:30 we were in our hotel. You cannot imagine how well orchestrated Seabourn has everything. I wish there were some little "something" that I could say went wrong, but really, it was just a super cruise from start to finish. Even when we were leaving, one of the crew said to me that the cruise "had a very good feeling about it". On an interesting note, of the 200 or so passengers, 73 were American, the balance (this is from the addresses in the guest book) were from UK and various parts of Europe with Denmark largely represented on this particular cruise. Also, a handful of people from South America. We liked this very, very much, because you met such interesting people. I loved hearing about Australia, Tazmania, Brazil, wherever and learning something new and at the same time realizing how alike we all are. This is an added plus of the Seabourn Experience - for us at least. On our own, we stayed 3 nights more in Athens, then flew to Mykonsos and then ferried over to Santorini and then flew back to Athens and have just returned yesterday to Florida. Yes, we have already booked another cruise and if one comes up in September, may think about that also. There is something just so easy and relaxing and yet still it is what you make it - there is something for everyone. For instance, the jeep tour in Egypt is certainly NOT for the faint of heart, but for us, it made all of the difference. The attention to detail by Seabourn is always there and the tours they provide are, in our opinion, very reasonable for what is given. We attended hosted dinners 70% of the time, because we met so many wonderful people aboard. Liked very much Guy the restaurant Manager and Capt. Lorentzen is a charming gentleman, who makes all feel so special. I hope this helps anyone who may be thinking about a cruise that visits these particular ports and if there is anything more specific, please just ask. We have found so many of the items in the forum to be of help to us. Rene'

René,

So glad you had a grand time aboard the White Pride Castle! Also happy you enjoyed the Seabourn Experience so much that you booked another cruise and are on the lookout for a third! I enjoyed reading your review and wish you both a smooth entry back to reality and life on land. :)

Proper Lady,

I thoroughly enjoyed your review. Yes, Kusadasi is a shoppers paradise. The last time my wife and I were there many "bargains" were purchased. When I asked my wife what she paid for a particular item, she would always say "But, I barterded the merchent down to $ ..........! We also found the Turks to be most gracious. Jack

I really enjoyed the report on your cruise Proper Lady, always love to hear what others saw and did and enjoyed or didn't enjoy. We also loved Turkey when we were there last year, it was a first for us, and had no idea what to expect. I especially loved the way in Bodrum, the locals looked after their stray animals! (btw my avatar is of The Spirit in Bodrum)

Just had an email from friends in Minnesotta, who also mentioned the sand storm in Egypt, so you probably met them.......

RENE,

We were on the same tour in EGYPT,we probably did meet you and your but you have to forgivr me i don't remember you.

Our jeep driver wouln't turn the air on even after we complained to his boss, needless to say we about had it with that tour.

I thought the lunch was awful and we did say something to JENNIFER about the whole trip and we talked to BARBRA when we got back, they refunded everone 15%, so that wasn't to bad.

We will be going on another SEABOURN cruise next year.

We booked a cruise on the new cruise line AZMARA part of celebrity for this DEC. 2007.

JIM and MAXINE FELLER

Jim, because you had posted on the forum prior to the sailing, I looked for your name in the guest book, there was no "James Feller" listed. Sorry you did not enjoy your dusty day in Cairo, however, we loved really did! There were so few people on that tour it is hard to imagine we did not meet, next time I will wear a rose. R'

Archived