Luau?

oswaldjacoby

:D cute question! I've never heard anyone ask it quite like you did and it gave me a BIG smile.

I have never attended a commercial luau, but if you do a search on this board, you will find many opinions.

The ceremony of taking the pig out of the ground, the music, hula and fire dances all add to the excitement of the event. (It looks like fun on tv anyway! :) ) Certainly you can skip the pork. It's not so much the food, IMO, but the atmosphere that makes a luau. If you do go, be brave and try poi (taro). Food quality will differ depending on which luau you attend.

Have fun in Hawaii!

Aloha,

Noreen.

Besides pork and fish, they usually have chicken and some type of beef as well as salads, veggies, desserts and of course poi. Most of them have some sort of plan for alcoholic beverages ranging from open bars to no alcohol. Are they a "must do"? In that the entertainment is usually centered around the history and culture of the Hawiian Islands as well as the food being Hawaiian cuisine, it is something to be considered as desireable. Going by reports on this board, it would seem that the majority of people who attend them have a great time.

Archived