cold to hot weather transition (packing ???)

Hey all! I first of all want to thank you all for being so supportive, helpful and friendly every time I post something. :o) Now on to my question...

I will be travelling this December (flying to Ft. Lauderdale Christmas Day actually) and we'll be going from a 'frigidly cold' climate in the Dakotas to Florida. I can't very well get away with not at least leaving in warm or heavy clothing. I hate to take a winter jacket as they are so bulky and impossible to pack. I was wondering if you all have any ideas of what (other than a heavy jacket) I can take. I doubt I would wear it after leaving the airport. Anyone have experience with this dilemma?

Does anyone also know what the weather/temperature is like in December/January in the Carribbean/Panama Canal/Mexican Coast? I'm trying to figure out if I should bring along at least one sweatshirt. I pretty much live in them at home, but there's a definite temperature difference from here to there! :o)

Thanks in advance for any answers/help you can give me!!!

I just posted pretty much the same thing on a different thread. I'm going from NJ to Miami in early December and am trying not to bring a heavy coat. Our weather here is so unpredicable. I'll probably bring a sweatshirt for my flight home, but didn't plan on bringing one for the cruise itself.

I'm pretty sure the weather in the caribbean is almost the same all year. Ditto for the Panama Canal area and Mexican Riviera. I'll be doing the Panama Canal cruise.

A good guideline for yearly temperatures can be found on weather.com. There is a way to get average temps by month on that site. Just need to know a couple of the names of the ports you'll be at.

HTH.

When we cruise or vacation we often face the same issues: very cold to tropical climate.

If a trusted friend or relative is driving you to the AP & picking you up, leave the coat in the car & run into the terminal. Have your friend or relative standing there, waiting with the coats & a blanket in the car for your arrival. If that's not possible, you may have to take the coat.

The other trick is to dress in layers. I usually pick nice t-shirt or golf shirt, under a button down, under a cardigan, topped by a light weight jacket. I can wear each peice alone as a top on board. I peel layers as we go. When opting to leave the coat, I will also wear mittens & a hat b/c those add warmth without bulk & can be stuffed in an outside pocket. By the time we embark I'm down to a nice t-shirt & khakis.

I am often cold so I do pack a sweatshirt.

We travel the same way, because we can't wait to get out of the snow covered mountains of WV and go where the sun is shining :) We have a 90 min drive to the airport and we often go the night before and stay in a hotel in Roanoke VA because we always end up with a 6 a.m. flight to FL. We leave our winter coats in our vehicle and just wear a sweater or light weight jacket. If your airport has lockers you can leave it in there and take the key with you, then when you return your coat will be in the airport. Happy cruising....We are leaving 12/3 for the Western Car. on the Dawn Princess. Can't come soon enough :rolleyes:

Try to avoid taking the heavy coat. Dress in layers you can peel off. A sweat shirt is a good idea. It is really hot in the Caribbean and the further South you go the hotter it will be. However, if you go out on deck at night, it will be windy and you might find the sweat shirt handy to have.

When you get to Florida, it will really feel very hot. I suggest you bring along an empty tote bag to put the layers of clothing you have removed in. Carrying that stuff around loosly can be a real pain and you will just feel more uncomfortable.

Enjoy your cruise.

Linda

We too travel in the Winter. If we drive to the airport, I leave the winter coat in the car. If we get an airport driver from door to door, I take a chance that the car is warm. We wear a Turtleneck cotton shirt under a sweater or sweatshirt with a nylon cotton jersey lined windbreaker over it. Pants are usually cotton slacks or matching nylon wind/jogging style for comfort. I use the jacket and pants to do laps on board ship or work out in the gym. I also wear my sneakers with socks and wear pantyhose or tights underneath for extra warmth. DH prefers dockers or jeans but occasionally wears the "nice nylon lined sweat suit".

Bon Voyage

These all sound like excellent ideas. I was thinking about my travel outfit earlier and realize from your posts that my problem is simple compared to you cold-climate ladies! I'm flying to FLL the day of the cruise from SC and guessing there will be a temp change from 60 here to 80 there. Maybe cooler here as it will be early am. I'm hot-natured anyway so I'm thinking black slacks, a black sleeveless turtleneck, and a Xmas sweater (Dec 12 sailing). That's what I'd wear here in Dec and I can shed the sweater in FLL. I'd do anything to avoid lugging a heavy coat around if I were you all. Good luck, ladies!

Thank you all so much for the advice. I will definitely not take my winter coat. I'll see if I can get dad (our ride to and from the airport) to just take it with him before we go thru security at the airport. I'll probably take along my requisite hooded sweatshirt (it's a nice looking one) for the plane cause I'm always cold and I'll wear layers underneath it. I can always store my 'shedded' layers in my carry on. Thank you all so much and Happy Cruising!!!

Going, I usually wear a sweatsuit, with a T shirt, sneakers and socks. Under, I wear either panty hose or long johns, depending on how cold it is. Also, depending on the temp., I wear hat, scarf & gloves. Once I get in the aircraft bathroom, off come the long johns, etc.

I can sleep in my long johns (cabin usually too cold for me).

The sweatsuit jacket I have instead of bringing a sweatshirt.

The panty hose I wear on formal nights.

Coming home, just do the opposite. Happy cruising.

Archived