Getting to Beaches from Dockyard

BostonBarb

Hi,

I will be on the Empress in Sept., and I was wondering - how long it takes to get to Horseshoe Beach from Dockyard by bus? Is it really expensive to go by taxi? Would I be better off using the ferries to Hamilton, then the bus? Are there any nice beaches near Dockyard? I see one called Somerset Long Bay and Church Bay that look sort of close, but I haven't been able to find much information on them. I'd also like to try John Smith's Bay, but that looks very far.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey BostonBarb (love the name :D )

We're planning on taking the bus from South Station. Based on the pick up time of 8am and arrival of 2pm it's guaranteed to be a L O N G ride but can't beat the price :p When are you sailing? Have you gotten anything from RCCL yet on the bus ride?

Another voice from MA here. The bus ride really isn't that bad. We took one from providence last year to NYC. The drive should only take l4-5 hours but because it stops- and waits- several times it takes longer. (it seems to me we got in much earlier than scheduled last year because everyone was ready and waiting and the driver made good time). But just kick back and relax- it is still easier than driving or flying and the price can not be beat.

In Bermuda the easiest way to get to Horseshoe beach from the dockyards is to take a bus. It is only a 20 minute ride (aprox). There would be no reason to take a ferry into hamilton and then the bus- the distance from Hamilton is about the same.

Horseshoe is on the SOuth shore- west of Hamilton sort of on the way to the Dockyards. Somerset is alot closer to the Dockyards but a very different type of Beach. Horseshoe is more ocean beach somerset more shallow, bay like.(It is actually similar to the Cape- the beaches along the south shore get the surf, Cape Cod Bay or the north shore in Bermuda is more kid friendly) Church Bay is also on the SOuth shore- one stop closer to the Dockyards than Horseshoe bay if you're taking the bus. It has great snorkeling- although not neccessarily for beginners- but I believe it was severely damaged last year by the Hurricane and I'm not sure of current conditions.

John Smith's bay is also on the South shore- but more in the eastern part of the island. I would not go there from the Dockyards- too far and you'd probably have to change buses in Hamilton.It is probably about equi distant from either hamilton or St. Georges. We went there last year from St. Georges- maybe a 20 or 30 minute bus ride. If you want to go to the aquarium or zoo- and they are both fun- John Smith's is just a little further along. However Again I believe the reef was damaged by last years hurricane so I'm not sure what the current status is.

Are you the Empress leaving Bayonne on 04 Sept.? If so I am with you. As for beaches at DockYard...get a bus pass and take the bus to Horseshoe Bay. That's the beach you want. That far from the ship this beach offers you bathrooms, concessions, and rentals. Just tell the bus driver when you get on that's where you are going. He will be more than happy to tell you when it's your stop.

The day The Empress moves fromDockYard to Hamilton I would still go to Horsehshoe Bay. Just use your bus pass to take the same bus you were on and go on to Hamilton.

You will have a hard time finding a better beach that Horseshoe Bay.

Blueberry,

Where in Providence did the bus pick you up and was there parking? The reason I ask is that my sister lives about 30 minutes from Providence and I'm 20 minutes outside of Boston. Would be much easier if she could hitch a ride to RI and I could head into Boston. Otherwise I'll have to drive 45 minutes out to her house as she doesn't drive :rolleyes:

There is also Elbow beach and another beach closer to the dockyards but I agree that Horseshoe bay is very nice and easy. We were there in June and will be there again in August. We will be on the EOS this time. Its an easy ride and you can rent chairs and umbrellas reasonably at horseshoe bay. Nice beach easy snorkling....

The providence bus leaves from the Bonanza station. They say there is no parking for excursion bus passengers although there is a large lot and it did not appear to be regulated in any way. We didn't take the chance and got dropped off. The boston bus leaving from South station does not go through providence- it goes out to western mass. Providence bus goes through Ct. There are lots of buses from providence to South Station and vice versa if you two want to meet at one or the other.

The Boston bus also stops in Worcester, MA too, does that help? Boston & Providence are on separate routes. Or, you both could take the bus closest to you and meet up on the ship!? I don't think you'll mind the bus ride, especially going, with all the vacation excitement....coming back can seem to be a longer ride, vaca is over.

We sailed the Empress 5/29...we had a terrific time!!

Hi AuntieBon,

My husband and I are on the Sept. 4 sailing and I can't wait!

I am planning to take the bus from South Station as well, but I was told my pickup time is 9:45. For the return trip the drop-off time back at South Station is 5:45. The reps at RCCL couldn't tell me how long the bus ride actually is, but I'm betting its over 5 hours. Who told you about a pickup at 8:00 with arrival at 2:00 ?

Boy, that's a loooong ride.... I haven't received any of my documents yet, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

There is a beach called Blacks Bay (or Hog's by the bus drivers). Is a 15 min walk from town. We take the bus there and then usuallly just start walking back rather than wait - is so scenic. We tell the driver to let us off at the beach - is actaully three tiny beaches that are deserted on weekdays and may have local families at the picknick tables up on the grass on the weekend.

There are no facilities so we don't stay that long, but this beach is right along the road - a few feet and the views are fantastic.

We're on the 9/4 empress and taking the bus from south station. The confirmation we got from the travel agent said 8:00 am but I have yet to see anything from Rccl. Haven't gotten my docs- although the RCL web site shows a cabin assignment for us at last!! I'm beginning to get excited.

We may be able to help. When we cruised in May, our scheduled bus pick-up time was changed also...believe it was because when the ship previously sailed from NYC it departed at 4 p.m.,...now, departure from Bayonne is 5:30. RCI will clarify for you I'm sure.

CrusFran, How far is the Bonanza bus stop from TF Greene. Would it work to park there and take a quick taxi ride to the bus stop? If I remember correctly parking at the airport was reasonable.

T.F. GReen is south of Providence- the Bonanza bus station is north of the City at exit 25 off of route 95. I just rechecked the bonanza web site and it doesn't say anything about parking. I'd call and inquire. There is a large lot there and it had no guard or gate- it was just that the web site last year specifically said no parking for charter passangers- but apparently there is plenty of free parking for regular passangers.

• 2 weeks later...

We are dining late as well.

This will be our 5th cruise to Bermuda - 3 on Norwegian Majesty, once on Celebrity Zenith, and now RCL. We love Bermuda - just hope we don't run into any bad weather.

Last year we were there for Hurricane Fabian and we had to leave Bermuda 2 days early - hopefully we'll have better luck this year.:)

Archived