Norwegian Dawn... Freestyle Dining ... easy as it seems?

herb

Does the Dawn have a good system whereby Freestyle Dining is not too much of a hassle. Last NCL cruise we took (Norwegian Sea) it seemed that everyone wanted to eat at the same time and the waiting lines for the restaurant were quite long.

Does the Dawn have a good system whereby Freestyle Dining is not too much of a hassle. Last NCL cruise we took (Norwegian Sea) it seemed that everyone wanted to eat at the same time and the waiting lines for the restaurant were quite long.

The Dawn has over 11 restaurants, so while there may be a short wait (for smaller normal sized parties) at peak times, most of the time it is quite easy to be seated. The Sea has far fewer venues, so it is more likely you will have to wait.

Please also remember that the specialty restaurants have reservations, so if you make one, you will not have to wait at all.

As for the main dining rooms... Aqua and Impressions seem to always be a little less crowded than the Venetian during peak times.

Since the Dawn is a 'newer' ship and was designed with Freestyle Dining in mind (the Sea is older and was NOT designed for Freestyle) - you should find the dining situtation on the Dawn to be more efficient. Of course if you turn up with a party of eight on "lobster" night at 7PM (prime time) - chances are still pretty good that you will have a wait.

When we were on the Sun (designed for Freestyle) the only time we saw significant lines was on 'lobster' night shortly after 7PM.

I am badly suffering from "Monday." I don't think there is a Sea. When did it stop cruising.

The Sea left the NCL fleet durihg 2005. She is now the SuperStar Libra, sailing out of Mumbai, Bombay, India. During the summer rainy season she is this year going to sail out of Taiwan.

A India to Taiwan cruise would be a nice long itinerary.

Not much of a wait and Impressions is a great "no pay" restaurant on the Dawn:)

I am badly suffering from "Monday." I don't think there is a Sea. When did it stop cruising.

The Sea a nice ship that it is(was), was not designed for free style. The Dawn is much better.

Freestlye Dining isn't a hassle but I also don't think its quiet as easy an they make it appear in the commercials.

Exactly!! Finally, someone said what I've been thinking for a while now. I "get" the whole idea behind the freestyle concept, but having just come back from a family cruise on the Spirit I can tell you that Freestyle CAN be a real pain.

If you're cruising with more than four people in your party, chances are you WILL wait to be seated. There were seven of us, and we had to wait to be seated (15 minutes or more) every single night.

And forget about the specialty restaurants...we tried to get reservations four different nights (we didn't care which specialty restaurant we ate at...just wanted to try them out) and NOT ONCE could we get a reservation. We were told that we should get up and get on the restaurant reservation line by 7am if we wanted a reservation.

Um, great idea, except that I'm on vacation, and the idea of getting up so early just to get dinner reservations ticks me off. I missed the traditional cruise dinner times...at least then you weren't forced to wait like cattle.

So true Ringlet....I usually travel with a family group, so usually 8 or more. I think Freestyling is ideal for couples. Freestyling also makes dinner seem like a non-event...just not special. Just my opinion, though, and I respect all those who think Freestyling is the greatest thing to hit cruising since balcony cabins.

Exactly!! Finally, someone said what I've been thinking for a while now. I "get" the whole idea behind the freestyle concept, but having just come back from a family cruise on the Spirit I can tell you that Freestyle CAN be a real pain.

If you're cruising with more than four people in your party, chances are you WILL wait to be seated. There were seven of us, and we had to wait to be seated (15 minutes or more) every single night.

And forget about the specialty restaurants...we tried to get reservations four different nights (we didn't care which specialty restaurant we ate at...just wanted to try them out) and NOT ONCE could we get a reservation. We were told that we should get up and get on the restaurant reservation line by 7am if we wanted a reservation.

Um, great idea, except that I'm on vacation, and the idea of getting up so early just to get dinner reservations ticks me off. I missed the traditional cruise dinner times...at least then you weren't forced to wait like cattle.

Ok but the thread was about the DAWN not the Spirit.I just got off the 4/23 11 night with a party of 6 and never had a problem in any resturant.I walked up to Salsa and Bamboo without a reservation and we walked right in.The Spirit being a smaller ship maynot handle freestyle as well,but it seems to me that the Bigger class ships handle it fine being thats what they were designed for.I think alot depends on the ship.

I never had to wait after four NCL cruises. The key to miss any line is to dine either early or late, just like at home on Friday night at your favorite restaurant.

If you show up at 7:30 at home on Friday night, you would expect a line. Why do people think that won't be so on a ship?

As for those who do arrive at 7:30 and complain they perfer traditional dining, notice no cruise line offers a 7:30 seating....

The Spirit was more or less designed for Freestyling and is comparable with the Dawn despite the size difference. She was built with dedicated space for all the Freestyle restaurants, unlike Crown or a ship that is really not designed for Freestyling. Even on the ships purposely built for Freestyling, it is a difficult concept to execute. The logistics of serving that many people a milti-course meal in what amounts to banquet style (i.e. most food, with exception of some extra-charge restaurants, is not cooked to order) is difficult.

That said, NCL should be admired for their innovation and willingness to try something that is very challenging on a ship.

Just wondering has anyone ever asked the waiters which they like better?

NCL does have an advantage with this concept. Eating whenever is ideal. Although it's been awhile since we were on the Dawn we never had a problem waiting for a table then anywhere except at Salsa's. It also helps that my husband & I ate after 9:00 most nights. Impressions was definitely our favorite-quiet & romantic. Le Bistro was nice too-although they have changed the menu. I did not care for Cagney's & Salsa's-terrible service and the food was OK. I just kept trying to justify it...it's the maiden voyage (although it wasn't supposed to be).

Archived