Dawn Food Question

defreeze

I sailed on the Dawn in January 2005, and thought the food was good to excellent all around.

I just sailed again on the Dawn this past weekend on the one-night cruise to nowhere, and like many of the other posters, I found the food to be horrible all around.

What's going on? Is it because the food has gone downhill over the past two years?

Or, did it have something to do with the fact that it was a one-nighter?

I'd be interested to see what folks who have recently sailed on the Dawn for regular 7 night cruises think of how the food was.

I sailed on the Dawn in January 2005, and thought the food was good to excellent all around.

I just sailed again on the Dawn this past weekend on the one-night cruise to nowhere, and like many of the other posters, I found the food to be horrible all around.

What's going on? Is it because the food has gone downhill over the past two years?

Or, did it have something to do with the fact that it was a one-nighter?

I'd be interested to see what folks who have recently sailed on the Dawn for regular 7 night cruises think of how the food was.

We sailed in January 2007 and the food was very good. I'd have to say, it's the one-nighter thing.

Well we see this weekend.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

This is all good to hear.

Quite frankly, I was surprised at the lack of quality of the food. I'm not a complainer at all when it comes to cruising, and have enjoyed the food on all my cruises on all the lines I have sailed. Of course, sometimes the food on one ship/line was better than another, but on the whole, all my cruising food was good to excellent.

That is why I was so surprised at the food on the one nighter. Particularly the lunch buffet. There were very few items, the food was not restocked and the food that was there seemed like it was all leftovers.

I am glad to hear that recent, longer cruises on the Dawn did not suffer the same problem. I'll chalk it up to its being a one-night cruise.

11 nighter in march....food was wonderful except in the venetian, and the buffet for lunch was kinda poor a couple of days.

Stick with the specialty resturants on the dawn, and you can't go wrong.

We did the whole weekend 5/5 - 5/6 and were really dissappointed the food. The Garden Buffet was pretty bad. The New York deli section was not open, DH so hoping to get his pastrami sandwich. Breakfast Saturday was a disaster as well. The Ventian closed early on Saturday morning, they started to turn away people just before closing so we went back up to the Garden, nothing was left, had to wait 15 minutes for bacon which I gave up on. Salsa was pretty good, Cagney's portions were pretty small (filet min, large size) both of us could have had another. Well anyway, I knew I would get a good breakfast in the Ventian on Sunday before we disembarked. We got a really nice table, nice waiter, but to my surprise it was the same food that the Garden was serving. The 2 pieces of french toast were about the size of a piece of american cheese cut in half.

I can remember on our first cruise with the family on the Dawn April 2005 (actually the week after the wave hit) the service, food, (not to mention the generous obc for sailing a day later) everything was way more than we expected and that is what totally got us hooked on Freestyle and partial to NCL.

It's to bad that a first time cruiser takes a 1 nighter and gets a bad feeling from just that one experience. I know NCL can do better and hope food will be good on the GEM.

I know NCL can do better and hope food will be good on the GEM.

I second that, Lunchlady.

I'll be on the Gem next January for an 11 nighter from NY, and I convinced a whole bunch of people to come with me. After the horrible experience with the Dawn food last weekend, I am terrifed about how the food on the Gem will be, especially since I encouraged my friends to join me. I can only hope and pray that it will be excellent!!!

We were on the Dawn April 1 11-nighter and ate lunch every day in the Venetian and each meal was delicious. Same goes for the specialty restaurants -- had fabulous meals in Teppanyaki, Salsa, Cagney's and Le Bistro -- absolutely not 1 complaint. I cannot speak to the main dining room food for evening meals, though. We were so impressed with the specialty dining, we kept going back :) .

TracyE

Just off the Dawn - 3 night business conference - and the food was at least "very good". We ate in the Venetian for all meals.

(Actually, the lobster bisque was not good. And it had salmon chunks, not lobster. But that was just one dish.)

Archived