Copies of Passport

Wattle

Whenever we have traveled outside the US we always keep our passport with us. We do keep copies in a separate bag in case for some reason the originals get lost. We use neck pouches (LL Bean carries them) which work great, put them in with our ship and sail card and $$. We always keep them with us in case we run into any problems. You never know when you are in another country other than your own.

If you are on Pride of America, you are sailing completely in the US and don't need a passport!

No, but you do need some sort of photo ID.

I always take the originals but one of the security officers on POAl suggested we just take copies. Frankly, I can't believe they'd accept copies (can you say photoshop?) but they said they would.

The way I see it, a passport is supposed to be carried. That's why you have it. To prove ID and citizenship when travelling. I don't see why everyone is so terrified of losing it. Just take proper care of it as you would your wallet, car keys, spouse, glasses, whatever.

Would you recommond taking copies of your passport off the boat at each port or the actual passport? I have read some different things????:confused:

Excellent thinking especially since your in a foreign country, keep the original in your safe and carry copies. We have copies of our passports with us on all trips, but since your on a cruise ship keep the originals in your safe, if you had a problem with authorities this would not be a problem.

We traveled with a tour group in Europe and were told by the local guides while we were staying in hotels keep your original passport in the hotel safe and carry copies, when traveling from destination (Berlin) to destination (Paris) always have your original with you.

the last I looked, Hawaii is a state and no passpoirt is needed.

The OP is from Australia and most definitely needs a passport!

Wattle: That's not a bad idea because you just never know what might happen. You'll probably be fine, but it's one little piece of paper that might save hassles should (Heaven forbid) you have a problem.

beachchick

Thanks everyone for your advice. We are travelling from Australia, and I think it will be best to have coppies with us (just in case) but to cary our original with us when we are off the ship (just in case). :)

Archived