Jeans in the dining room (non-formal nights)

8mpg

Since you're not looking for anyone's opinion, as has been said, the dress code is:

ONBOARD ATTIRE

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times. Formal Evenings:

To answer your question, you will most likely to be able to "get away with it" but on the other hand, you may be turned away. There are no guarantees and all the opinions and observations posted here won't change that.

It seems to me you question really is, "If I knowingly violate the dress policy on the cruise I've booked, will they still let me in the dining room?"

The answer is yes, they will. But I'm sorry you seem to care so little about the difference between right and wrong. Tom.

FINALLY, someone cuts to the chase!! Way to go, Tom! Cruise ships make rules for a reason - if it's okay to violate one rule, then is it okay to violate all of them?

Look, yesterday there was a posting from a woman asking if it was okay if her (adult) sons wore "nice" leather flip flops to the dining room. Even if they aren't turned away for wearing them, does it make it appropriate to wear them? I said No.

I think that casual attire is becoming more and more "acceptable" in cruise ship dining rooms, and that's an awful shame. We should still have places that we can go, i.e. on a cruise ship, where people get dressed nicely for dinner, and not just on formal night. If people want to wear jeans and flip flops, then it seems to me the place to dine would be the buffet or pizza stand - NOT a nice dining room.

Just because you're on vacation doesn't mean you get to leave home manners or etiquette. Or plan ahead to break the rules.

Just my opinion.

Sharon H.

If you are flying its not easy getting everything to weigh less than 50 pounds with a 2 bag limit per person so plan carefully.
Yes, it can be done with some planning; you just don't pack the kitchen sink, cases of soda and wine. For my 12-day Golden cruise, I knew I was going to have to dress for temperatures from the upper 80s for several days to the lower 40s and include sweaters, jacket, etc. not to mention dresses for three formal nights. I was also flying to CA directly after the cruise so I needed to pack for that too so I was packing for three weeks and three different climates and dress. I brought two bags and their total weight was under 50 LB.

I know this is a very debated subject but Im wondering if they are going to let me in the dining room or not. Id rather not hear right or wrong or your opinion on this but more of will they allow it.

Since you know it is a very debated subject, why not do a search on jeans and read the related threads. Much better than starting up a new thread on a subject that invariably seems to turn into a p-ssing contest. People will point to conflicting or unclear materials from Princess that support their positions, and it will end up with people accused of being self-centered and responsible for the downfall of civilization as we know it.

The problem with not being able to wear jeans, is the fact I have to pack double the clothes. Now for my 7day cruise I need 4-5 pairs of jeans, 4-5 pairs of slacks, 7 button downs, 7 regular shirts (going to Alaska so they will be long sleeve, a big jacket, formal shoes, tennis shoes, dress shoes for dinner, etc... Then multiply that by 1.5-2 times for the amount of stuff my girlfriend is going to bring. Thats a lot of stuff we have to tote to the airport, then through the lines at the dock, yadda yadda yadda. If they allowed jeans, Id save a ton of space.

Just a thought. You might consider that there are both self-service laundries and laundry and dry cleaning service on the ship. Might saving you from packing a bag that will make the ship list :D :D

Yes, it can be done with some planning; you just don't pack the kitchen sink, cases of soda and wine. For my 12-day Golden cruise, I knew I was going to have to dress for temperatures from the upper 80s for several days to the lower 40s and include sweaters, jacket, etc. not to mention dresses for three formal nights. I was also flying to CA directly after the cruise so I needed to pack for that too so I was packing for three weeks and three different climates and dress. I brought two bags and their total weight was under 50 LB.

Good for you! I don't bring sodas or booze but I also don't wear the same thing twice without washing it and I have read so much where people will wear the same pants and shirts several times but have never been able to figure out how they do that when mine get sweaty while at Port.

We are flying from DFW to Seattle so luggage weight is definitely an issue.

Whether you feel its right or wrong to break the rules, thats your opinion. Will I wear jeans if I can, YES. I understand that there are rules but for every should be upheld if there are rules to begin with.

Regardless Im going to take slacks and so will my girlfriend. If I find that no one is wearing jeans, then I wont wear them. I just feel that a nice pair of jeans can be formal. I wear jeans all the time to formal restaurants here in Texas. I have also worked in a 5 star steak house where people wore jeans all the time. So is it right are wrong?? I dont care, because each person has a different opininion on what is formal and what is not.

Im not about to walk into the place wearing torn jeans and a hoodie... but I dont see why a pair of jeans would be considered to casual..

If you're going to carry the slacks anyway, why not wear them? The fact that you are prepared to carry correct attire but try to "get away" without wearing them suggests that you actually didn't want an answer to your first question at all.

If you're going to carry the slacks anyway, why not wear them? The fact that you are prepared to carry correct attire but try to "get away" without wearing them suggests that you actually didn't want an answer to your first question at all.

No, Im now going to take slacks because I might not get away with jeans. Again, the reason I asked was because I do not like to pack more than I need (my girlfriend will do enough for the both of us). Now that I know its a craps shoot, I will take slacks. Id prefer to wear jeans over slacks and not having to change again before dinner is appealing.

Just go to the buffet.

but the buffet is inferior... I want what we paid for. Service and good food, not 1/2. Besides...norovirus seems to be spread by the buffet

Hi 8mpg,

I'll throw my hat into the ring!

I try and dress by Princess standards but I do not tend to judge other people by what they wear to the dining room.It's like that saying, "never judge a book by it's cover."

Princess is at fault too, they state one dress code on the Patters and then let people in jeans and other attire. It is confusing.

But if you wear jeans, be prepared as you will receive some dirty looks and maybe even some "sniffs of disdain" :)

Whatever you and your girlfriend decide, I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy your cruise, that is most important!:)

On our previous Diamond Princess cruise to Alaska, there were plenty of jeans in the dining room. And knee length dress will be fine on formal night. It seemed to me that the Alaska cruise was much less formal-feeling than other cruises.

Texas is a wonderful place and State. The only one which may legally secede from our Country.

But aboard Ships we are under Maritime Laws as well should abide by the Cruise lines methods and ways also.

If everyone did and does what they wanted to do then there would be utter chaos..no not the side from the Man from Uncle...

If your not let in the Formal Dining Room well then you have to go back to your cabin and change...

IN NYC, NY there is a rule of law where women can go topless in cars ..not many do.. recently (April) on a warm day one did in a Mustang Convertable (yes a topless car too) and She complained the people were looking at the car and not her..:p

And no she did not get a ticket as she was not going against the rules of law there either.

On your five star steakhouse well did they ever turn anyone away? Revenue is most important in those places and table turnover..

Bottom line::

Were the Denim Jeans at least American made?

X _____________________________________

:cool:

Whether you feel its right or wrong to break the rules, thats your opinion. Will I wear jeans if I can, YES. I understand that there are rules but for every should be upheld if there are rules to begin with.

Regardless Im going to take slacks and so will my girlfriend. If I find that no one is wearing jeans, then I wont wear them. I just feel that a nice pair of jeans can be formal. I wear jeans all the time to formal restaurants here in Texas. I have also worked in a 5 star steak house where people wore jeans all the time. So is it right are wrong?? I dont care, because each person has a different opininion on what is formal and what is not.

Im not about to walk into the place wearing torn jeans and a hoodie... but I dont see why a pair of jeans would be considered to casual..

I plan on wearing a button down shirt (modern ones that are short, not made to be tucked in and no pocket) with a pair of jeans and belt. Its a nice look but not "business casual" though its what I wear to work.QUOTE]

Why would you want to wear the same clothes that you wear to work on your vacation?

Princess is at fault too, they state one dress code on the Patters and then let people in jeans and other attire. It is confusing.

But if you wear jeans, be prepared as you will receive some dirty looks and maybe even some "sniffs of disdain" :)

I have never seen "no jeans" in the Patters. And who gives the dirty looks? I always see these threads before I go on a cruise, then I get on the ship and see that people don't care or look at what you are wearing. My husband does not like cruising anymore because he is tired of dressing up for work and then dressing up on vacation so when I cruise its with other people.

Texas is a wonderful place and State. The only one which may legally secede from our Country.

But aboard Ships we are under Maritime Laws as well should abide by the Cruise lines methods and ways also.

If everyone did and does what they wanted to do then there would be utter chaos..no not the side from the Man from Uncle...

If your not let in the Formal Dining Room well then you have to go back to your cabin and change...

IN NYC, NY there is a rule of law where women can go topless in cars ..not many do.. recently (April) on a warm day one did in a Mustang Convertable (yes a topless car too) and She complained the people were looking at the car and not her..:p

And no she did not get a ticket as she was not going against the rules of law there either.

On your five star steakhouse well did they ever turn anyone away? Revenue is most important in those places and table turnover..

Bottom line::

Were the Denim Jeans at least American made?

X _____________________________________

:cool:

LOL... No, we never turned anyone away though there were times that people were told that next time they come, a more appropriate attire would be required. These people were wearing tank tops, shorts and sandals. Why? They were staying at the hotel and just left the pool.

Sometimes this places makes me wonder...why do people let someone elses attire effect their vacation? I could care less if someone walked into a restaurant with shorts on...it doesnt effect my meal

I really appreciate that.

I dont understand why people get their panties in a wad so quick because someone doesnt dress by what they think is acceptable. Its pretty snoody of people if you ask me. My question is this..do you get a dirty look when you wear a suit in a McDonalds? People can look great and classy wearing jeans and heck, even shorts. I feel that a difference in age is the problem. It seems the 40s+ people are not happy that the trend has changed and will not even accept the new styles. It seems they are traditional (which is great) but when their feelings and style interferes with anothers' vacation, its just not fair. Im sure Id get bad looks if I wore a traditional 60's/70's flannel dress up shirt and bellbottom slacks, but it is/was formal at times

And it is pretty snooty of anyone to turn their nose up and contemplate refusing to abide by the request of their host.

And it is pretty snooty of anyone to turn their nose up and contemplate refusing to abide by the request of their host.

ok you do have me there. BUT I just really want to relax on a vacation and now have to dress up. I think that they should do 1 dining room for people who dont want to dress up and another for people who do. 2 birds 1 stone

LOL... No, we never turned anyone away though there were times that people were told that next time they come, a more appropriate attire would be required. These people were wearing tank tops, shorts and sandals. Why? They were staying at the hotel and just left the pool.

Sometimes this places makes me wonder...why do people let someone elses attire effect their vacation? I could care less if someone walked into a restaurant with shorts on...it doesnt effect my meal

Most civilized people don't want to sit in a nice restaurant and look at hairy armpits, hairy legs, bowed legs, varicose veins, etc. It absolutely affects my meal.

ok you do have me there. BUT I just really want to relax on a vacation and now have to dress up. I think that they should do 1 dining room for people who dont want to dress up and another for people who do. 2 birds 1 stone

BTW...do you ever speed in your car? Break any day to day laws? Same thing applies

BTW...do you ever speed in your car? Break any day to day laws? Same thing applies

They are not really asking for much here. No shorts, tank tops or jeans. That leaves a very large selections of relaxing clothing including slacks which are much more comfortable than jeans particularly during the summer. This is not a matter of being comfortable - you just want to do it your way. Note that there are many vacation options which let you wear shorts and tank tops to the dining room. Perhaps you would be more comfortable with the type of people who frequent these destinations?

Cruise again

It was stated on previous page, the dress code was quoted from the Patters.I believe it was from Pam in MA.

As for the looks, they are especially prevalent on formal nights, but I have definately seen them. Even heard comments to a young couple.

Giorgi-one

That was funny LOL. Now we know why no shorts in the dining room.

Good Luck 8MPH!:D

Simply because

A: I like them..thats why I wear them

B: I have my shirts pressed/dry cleaned each week

C: Im gonna be wearing jeans during the day

D: I can pack less

I dont like the answers because people here are blind. I specifically put in there I didnt want to hear opinions on whether its right or wrong, I dont want to hear how you feel about it...I just simply wanted to know if I could get away with it. So let me ask you...why bother put your $.02 when I didnt want your opinion on it to begin with. You are just here stirring the **** pot.

So you are going to wear the same jeans all day and then wear them to dinner. Must be a Texas thing!

Now we are down to the real question. WHAT CAN YOU GET AWAY WITH? You can also get away with saving chairs at the pool, smoking in nonsmoking areas, bringing babies with diapers in the pools and hot tubs, cutting into the buffet lines, insider trading, selling drugs, using drugs, drunk driving, etc. That's the problem with the world. Sure jeans aren't going to hurt anyone, but it speaks for the attitude most people have. Everybody is trying to get away with something!

Archived